Please help. I misplaced a folder in Outlook.

1. Posts : 92
    Windows 10 Pro

Please help. I misplaced a folder in Outlook.

I inadvertently dragged a folder from the Mail Folders pane into the Messages pane and it disappeared. Where did it go and how can I retrieve it?
      My Computer

2. Posts : 2,800
    Windows 7 Pro

Hi,

You should find it in the folder pane under the folder that was displayed in the message pane at the moment it occurred.
      My Computers

3. Posts : 92
    Windows 10 Pro

Thank you thank you thank you! Found it, problem solved.
      My Computer

4. Posts : 2,800
    Windows 7 Pro

You're not alone, I get this one at least 3 times a year.
      My Computers

5. Posts : 92
    Windows 10 Pro

There should be an Undo option.
      My Computer

6. Posts : 2,800
    Windows 7 Pro

You're maybe right,

This behaviour was introduced with office '97...

If I multiply the times I had responded to this by the number of IT on Earth.

It could validate the addition of an "Undo" option

Loll...
      My Computers

7. Posts : 1,750
    Windows 10 Pro

MaloK said:
    You're maybe right,

This behaviour was introduced with office '97...

If I multiply the times I had responded to this by the number of IT on Earth.

It could validate the addition of an "Undo" option

Loll...
    +1, no. +10.

Along with all the other deficiencies in file/folder management in Outlook.
      My Computers

8. Posts : 1,218
    W10-Pro 22H2

While someone is here: Outlook 2010: if I misfile an email, I use Outlook's search to find it by content, and often it can manage. But then I have to work out which folder the email is now in, so I add 'In folder' to the default view which search appears to offer, and see something like this:
    Please help.  I misplaced a folder in Outlook.-outlook-search.jpg
    As you can see, many fields get truncated, esp the folder one, so I often cannot tell from the limited name supplied. Note that going full-screen makes no difference, and 'from' is also truncated, as is the message title, but at a variable length.

Any ideas? This has irritated me for years, but I have never bothered to try to fix it, imagining that it is just another MS programming foible. On reflection, it seems it is always, and just, the last letter - perhaps I should name my folders with an extra 'x' at the end! But then I would like to see the folder hierarchy as well, please.
      My Computer

9. Posts : 1,750
    Windows 10 Pro

mngerhold said:
    Any ideas? This has irritated me for years, but I have never bothered to try to fix it, imagining that it is just another MS programming foible. On reflection, it seems it is always, and just, the last letter - perhaps I should name my folders with an extra 'x' at the end! But then I would like to see the folder hierarchy as well, please.
    No ideas of my own. Sometimes I go to slipstick.com, which is an Outlook/Exchange site run by a very knowledgeable person.

I've tried some of the Outlook utilities offered by various small companies, and I'm not exactly impressed overall.

That said, I really like YOUR idea for finding the folder of a message.

We could start an entire thread on Outlook annoyances, but to use an expression I used to hear growing up, "Fat lot of good that will do you."
      My Computers