Outlook - What's the Difference Between Exchange and Server?

1. Posts : 238
    win10 20H2

Outlook - What's the Difference Between Exchange and Server?

hi,
    as per the title. work machine uses Outlook 2016, mails from a couple years back get archived off into a vault or whatever. usually if i go to the bottom of the list there's a message saying "there are more files on the server, click here" but today it says "more files on the server, connect to the server to view them". there's no link, and the bottom of the screen says i'm connected to the exchange and i can send/receive etc.
    how do i connect to the server, i can't see an option.

TIA
      My Computer

2. Posts : 11,247
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux

Hi there

@wolfie138

Exchange is a particular type of email server often used in businesses for managing email clients. However there are all sorts of other servers around for email - exchange is probably one of the most widely used for businesses and Outlook integrates with that quite simply. Your ISP for private / home email may have different IMAP type servers (or even POP3).

However to access the archive you'll need to contact whoever manages your work e-mail system. Usually e-mail is left on a server for around 30 days (depending on your business's policy) or removed if your inbox gets too full.

If you want to keep emails you should periodically copy emails on to local storage -- I'm assuming it's all IMAP. POP3 depending on how its set up may automatically always download email to local storage which makes it impossible to vew on other devices.

Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

3. Posts : 238
    win10 20H2

thanks Jimbo. dunno what i've done or what button i pressed but when i've just looked again now it's showing the "click here to view" link again which means it's now connected to the server somehow. go figure.
      My Computer

4. Posts : 13,998
    Win10 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro and Home, Win7, Linux Mint

One thing that has confused a few of my clients is in terms, Exchange Server is the name of a software installed upon a computer designated as a Server on a Network. Exchange Server is associated with Microsoft Office and mostly used by businesses and accessed by Users.
      My Computers