outlook keeps prompting for profile

1. Posts : 69
    windows 10

outlook keeps prompting for profile

Before you describe how to set a profile as default, i already did that and have gone there numerous times to find it still says my profile is default and is the profile to always use. Yet a few times a day opening outlook it either stops working (click the desktop icon and nothing happens) or it opens but prompts me about the profile again.

When it doesn't open it's because there's an instance of outlook running in the background but the outlook app is NOT visibly open on the desktop or taskbar, it's nowhere to be seen. I can't even see it in windows task manager, but i have a 3rd party task manager in which it shows. So i open that, kill the process and then outlook will open but it will ask for the profile again.

This happens many times daily and i'm so sick of it i'm ready to throw my mouse thru the monitor. But every time i try and google this fiasco i get site after site to tell me how to set the default profile which as i said does not work. Any ideas?
      My Computer

2. Posts : 27,659
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 21H1

Have you tried recreating your profile?

Not sure how complex your profile is but if it is a couple of IMAP accounts it might be worth giving it a try.

You didn't say what version of Windows 10 you are using or what version of Outlook. Is it safe to assume all maintenance has been applied to both?

Might also check your addins, make sure they are really needed, disable ones that aren't needed.

Make an Image backup so you can restore should something head south.

Ken
      My Computer

3. Posts : 69
    windows 10

There was one addin that i removed. As to reinstalling, that will be a last option that i'll do if i can't find a fix. But i've been thru far too many things like this where it almost always turns out it's not a reinstall that fixes it. So that will be a last resort. This is a very common issue i have run into with many windows apps over the years where they refuse to accept your configuration. You check a box that say don't do thios and it keeps doing this. When i first installed W7 i had many of the same sort of issues that took a long time to either find a fix or windows eventually fixed it itself somehow. But not once have i ever done a reinstall of anything thats fixed my issue.

Caledon Ken said:
    Have you tried recreating your profile?

Not sure how complex your profile is but if it is a couple of IMAP accounts it might be worth giving it a try.

You didn't say what version of Windows 10 you are using or what version of Outlook. Is it safe to assume all maintenance has been applied to both?

Might also check your addins, make sure they are really needed, disable ones that aren't needed.

Make an Image backup so you can restore should something head south.

Ken
      My Computer