Office 365 Customer Experience and Telemetry Dashboard

1. Posts : 463
    Win7 Pro X64, Win10 Pro x640

Office 365 Customer Experience and Telemetry Dashboard

Office 365 has Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) and Telemetry Dashboard Log.

Are these features enabled by default? If so, do I need them enabled or can I turn them off? I am pretty sure they can be disabled in the group policy editor and/or registry editor.

Thanks!
      My Computer

2. Posts : 5,829
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2

If you're worried about telemetry you can open any Office 365 app and go File, Options, General, click "Privacy Settings..." un-tick "Optional diagnostic data"

FYI, don't complain when Microsoft doesn't fix an issue. The purpose of telemetry is to find and fix problems before they become prevalent in the wild. That said mine is enabled.

Peace:)
      My Computers

3. Posts : 463

sygnus21 said:
    If you're worried about telemetry you can open any Office 365 app and go File, Options, General, click "Privacy Settings..." un-tick "Optional diagnostic data"

FYI, don't complain when Microsoft doesn't fix an issue. The purpose of telemetry is to find and fix problems before they become prevalent in the wild. That said mine is enabled.

Peace:)
    I found the privacy settings in Office for the connected experiences and the diagnostic data telemetry which I am ok with enabling.

Is the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) program part of connected experiences or diagnostic telemetry or something different that I need or don't need?

Same question about the telemetry dashboard too...

Thanks!
      My Computer

4. Posts : 5,829
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2

I've never looked that deep into it. Sorry.
      My Computers

5. Posts : 463

sygnus21 said:
    I've never looked that deep into it. Sorry.
    After a little reading...

The Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) seems to be left over from older versions of office and largely irrelevant now since there isn't much up to date info about this program.

The Telemetry Dashboard seems to be more geared toward organization deployment and not so relevant to individual users. I cannot find any information if it is necessary for individual users or or it is turned on or off by default.

The only privacy setting that seems like a big deal is sending personal information to Microsoft which I really don't want. In Office 2016, you could disable sending personal information to Microsoft by unchecking the option in File - Options - Trust Center - Trust Center Settings - Personal information at the top of the window. This option is now missing in Microsoft 365. Where did it move to?

Thanks!
      My Computer