Sync Outlook to another PC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

1. Posts : 160
    Windows 10 PRO

I tried IMAP, but did not work out. Godaddy is getting rid of POP and IMAP sometime. Nobody knows when. It could happen anywhere from 6 montha to a year or so,
    At that point I will migrate to exchange mail. That will keep all devices in sync.
      My Computer

2. Posts : 5,829
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2

x509 said:
    Before you migrate to IMAP, you should know that IMAP does not support TO DO lists, calendars, contact lists (unless I am all wrong here. ) Someone please tell that I am wrong.
    Neither does POP. And you need to understand what IMAP/POP Is before making such statements...

Contacts and "TO DO" lists are handled differently and has nothing to do with IMAP or POP. For those you'd need to use an exchange server or synchronization program such as CompanionLink (which I use).
      My Computers

3. Posts : 1,186
    Windows 10 Pro

sygnus21 said:
    Neither does POP. And you need to understand what IMAP/POP Is before making such statements...

Contacts and "TO DO" lists are handled differently and has nothing to do with IMAP or POP. For those you'd need to use an exchange server or synchronization program such as CompanionLink (which I use).
    Yes, my mistake. I stand corrected. But allow me to clarify. With POP3 and PST files, I can easily just copy files from one system to another to sync Outlook. I use either Beyond Compare or Goodsync, and it works just fine, including Calendar, Contacts, etc. No issues there, except for the big issue of trying to cope with POP3 on phones, tablets, etc.

For more than say 2 PCs, copying PST files gets awkward. And there is no way to copy PST files to phones and tablets. So, IMAP is the better approach. But, but, but, with IMAP you can't copy files between PCs. You sync back to the mail server. The issue here, which is what I should have described, is that all Outlook items except email are local to each system. So my solution up to now has been to keep calendar, contacts, etc. in a PST file which I can copy between systems. But CompanionLink seems like a much better approach, so I'm going to try it out.
      My Computers

4. Posts : 5,829
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2

You can still use .PST files whether you use POP or IMAP. I've got 4 email accounts attached to the Outlook 365 desktop app - three IMAP and one Microsoft Exchange account and I use a pst data file for both calendar and contacts....

Sync Outlook to another PC-outlook-data-files.png

With that I use CompanionLink to sync my calendar, to do, and contacts with my android device. I also copy my pst file over to one drive for my other PC's to use it. And BTW, the email accounts on my phone (same as my PC) also use IMAP.
      My Computers