Odd and Even page problems

1. Posts : 1
    Windows 10

Odd and Even page problems

I'm writing a book. Chapter 1 begins with page 1, which is an odd page footer. There are 8 preceding pages, and I would expect page 1 to begin with an odd page footer too, becuase it is the 1st page of the book and must be on the right.
    BUT, the first page beins with an even page footer. I think the cause of all this is that there are 4 separate sections before page 1. I have managed the numbering from chapter 1 (use Link to previous etc) so that works. BUT, when i view the book in Kindle, i see some of the pages before Ch1 are on the left insetad of right. Also, when double clicking the footers, and extra page appears to be created.
    I'm at my wits end and have tried solving this for days. Needless to say, i'd appreciate help. In summary, this problem occurs before page numbering begins with Chapter 1.

Thank you.
      My Computer

2. Posts : 27,210
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)

You should unlink footer and header of Chapter 1 section from previous.
    Can you post a picture of your pages setup?
    First page of document should be be odd, unless you change it manually, or insert separate first page, or set new section start on even page

Starting a new chapter on odd page could (as always) be done in many different ways. I would proceed as follows.
    - Every chapter begins in new section (section brake on the previous page).
    - In page setup select: "section starts on odd page"

Downside of this method - you can have missing pages. So remember to fill in some blank pages if this happen. In the case shown in pic below, Chapter 1 starts on page 7, and page 6 is missing
    Odd and Even page problems-image.png

The same from Toolbar:

Odd and Even page problems-image.png
      My Computers

3. Posts : 12,478
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro

I have seen the pagination that has the prologue first have them numbered as i, ii, iii, iv, etc. while the first chapter starts with page 1. A lot depends upon where the footer is started for each section.
      My Computers