Something is emptying my inbox

1. Posts : 19
    window 10 Pro

Something is emptying my inbox

Office 2016 imap, only one device accessing the server (that I know of !)

Checked my email this morning and the inbox was empty; sent box was intact
    Made a copy of the .ost file (about 800mb).
    Am able to receive emails, but not for long.
    Looked at the .ost file with Steller OST to PST and all emails are marked as deleted.
    Converted the .ost file to .pst and added it as a data file.
    Data file Inbox now full, so copied all the emails to the imap inbox.
    Inbox synchronized, but some time later the inbox emptied again.
    Deleted and re-instated the account. Able to receive emails but disappear some time afterwards.
    Tried importing from the converted data file inbox, but nothing happens.
    No recent Windows updates.

At my wits end. Any clues what is happening here?
      My Computer

2. Posts : 27,660
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 21H1

Need to start process of elimination.

Please stop using Outlook 2016, for a day, and use web log in (browser). Try that for a day and determine in Inbox is remaining intact.

You could also click file in Outlook and then Manage Rules and Alerts. See what rules (or filters) are in place. Would also be good to check for same on Server using browser.

Something is emptying my inbox-image.png

Ken
      My Computer

3. Posts : 19
    window 10 Pro

Thanks Ken,

Followed your advice and all is well now.

I had copied the .ost file as soon as I saw the problem, so was able to recover my email messages. Converted it to .pst file and copied them to the imap inbox.

Also changed my password for the account.

So far all good.
      My Computer

4. Posts : 27,660

Excellent.

What was causing it, a hack or a bad rule?
      My Computer

5. Posts : 19
    window 10 Pro

Not a bad rule because they were still being deleted after I had deleted and re-installed the account, so no new rules.

I also changed my password during the investigation, so it's scary to think it could have been a hack. The original password was was quite complex.

<Sigh> I guess we will never know.

Cheers,
      My Computer

6. Posts : 19
    window 10 Pro

Found it! It happened again a couple days ago, so I delved in a lot deeper this time.

It turned out to be my CM405 printer. It has a email function built in with settings for SMTP server and POP3 account. About 20-30 minutes after setting these up, my inbox was cleared. When it first happened, I changed my password and the problem went away. Suspecting a security issue I called my service provider who was unable to resolve the issue. I then setup the printer with new password, and again, inbox cleared.

I have now cleared the POP3 settings in the printer and have no further problems. The SMTP settings are still there, so I am able to send to email from the printer OK.

I am at a loss to know why such settings can be so destructive, since the printer is not supposed to be retrieving messages and therefore clearing the server.
      My Computer

7. Posts : 27,660

Nice catch.

Thanks for posting what you found.
      My Computer