Disable new search bar in Office 365

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

1. Posts : 5
    Windows 10

Guardian Angel said:
    Hi, arisman,

I have tested out the reg file again on my computer using Microsoft Office 365, and it worked on my end. The registry key will relocate the search bar above Focused and Others, as pictured below. Is that what you want?

Attachment 289017

Guardian Angel
    yes that one, the old look. currently the uotlook still showing this

Disable new search bar in Office 365-capture.jpg
      My Computer

2. Posts : 55
    Windows 10 Home 2004 (64-bit)

arisman said:
    yes that one, the old look. currently the uotlook still showing this

Disable new search bar in Office 365-capture.jpg
    Hm, that is strange. I guess Microsoft Outlook in Microsoft Office is corrupt. I would advice reinstalling Microsoft Office 365 by:

1. Click on the Start Menu Button
    2. Click Settings
    3. Click Apps
    4. Locate Microsoft 365, and click Modify
    5. Check Online Repair, then Repair

Once Microsoft Office finishes repairing itself, close all office applications and then try the registry file again that is located in my #9 post here. Please let me know if this works.

Guardian Angel
      My Computer

3. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Pro

Registry file works but upon reboot the keys re-appear and the search is back in the title bar. What worked for me was to run the reg file and then change the permissions on the registry keys removing the ability to modify them going forward.
      My Computer

4. Posts : 449
    win 10

builttorock said:
    Registry file works but upon reboot the keys re-appear and the search is back in the title bar. What worked for me was to run the reg file and then change the permissions on the registry keys removing the ability to modify them going forward.
    Do I assume you modify ...\Ecs\outlook & ...ExperimentConfigs\FirstSession?
    What is the setting?
    Isn't there a chance this could break something as you're modifying the permissions for higher level folder?
      My Computer

5. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Pro

I removed all permissions for the following keys and gave my user ID read permissions only to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentConfigs\Ecs\outlook\ConfigContextD ata
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentConfigs\FirstSession\outlook

Not sure of the long term affects but so far so good. I can restart the computer, close and reopen outlook and the search bar stays put where it used to be.
      My Computer

6. Posts : 18
    Windows 10

new search bar - does solution roll it back or remove it?

By using the solution, does this roll back to the previous search option or just remove the new search bar?

Also though, what I actually came to TenForums this morning for was that since MS Office 365 for Business update 16.0.13029.20308 late yesterday and/or Windows updates KB4565503 and KB4566785 late yesterday, Outlook's search isn't working at all. A solution I found was to click Download Full Items in Send/Receive/Download Preferences but Download Preferences is grayed out. I will be posting this momentarily.
      My Computer

7. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Pro

After using the reg file provided above in a previous reply in addition to changing the reg permissions, the search box/field returned to the old location for me which is just below the ribbon on the right hand side.
    Disable new search bar in Office 365-searchloc.jpg
    I am using Microsoft 365 Version 2007 Build 13029.20308.
      My Computer

8. Posts : 18
    Windows 10

Fantastic!
      My Computer

9. Posts : 449
    win 10

I now find that even after running the reg file and relaunching Outlook the deleted keys return and hence the search bar returns to the top
    I may need to remove the permissions as described above, how do I do this?
    Do I have to disable inheritance and then remove permissions and for which accounts do I do what to, see screenshot?Disable new search bar in Office 365-capture1.jpg
      My Computer

10. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Pro

Turn of inheritance and remove all permissions except for you own user account it to read only. You are the owner of the keys so you can always turn back on inheritance restore the permissions.

Disable new search bar in Office 365-1.jpgDisable new search bar in Office 365-2.jpg
      My Computer