Finding What is Dependent on What

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Posts : 68
    10.0.18363, build 18363

Excel-97 Macros/VB Disabled with Win-10 Upgrade (How to Enable)

Just found that in Excel (first time I've used it since upgraded to Win-10 in December 2019) that it will not allow me to record a macro, create a macro, or bring up the Visual Basic editor.

Found out the newer Excels have a Trust Center (File>Options) which does NOT exist in Excel-97.
    Anyway to Enable/Disable Excel-97 macrosVB Editor in Group Policy or a Reg Key ??

-------------------------------------------------
    Following comments deprecated
    ---------------------------------------------------
    After upgrading to Win-10 I noticed a lot of new programs loaded which I'll never use {my big beef with Microsoft not allowing user to not load this stuff during install /upgrade}. I removed a number of these program {have a list}.

The old dependency walker used to do a decent job of finding linkages (what affects what) but looking for something newer and better that will allow one to select the App (Excel this case) and list all DLL's, Reg Keys, Services, etc. and better yet then check if those DLL's , Reg Keys, Services, exist and or are turned on -- and provide -- a list of what is missing.
    ---------------------
    QUESTION
    -------------------
    Anyone know of such a program and the name, link to it, etc. ?
    Last edited by dw85745; 30 Mar 2020 at 23:34.
      My Computer

Windows 10 Home x64 Version 20H2 Build 19042.868

I suggest uninstalling then reinstalling Excel 97. Perhaps the Windows 10 upgrade overwrote something.

I assume that none of the other threads about Office 97 helped on this particuar topic.
    https://www.tenforums.com/search.php?query=

Denis
      My Computer

3. Posts : 68
    10.0.18363, build 18363

Try3: Thanks for responding.

Tried Reinstall from Original CD's. No Luck.
    Currently looking into Excel (Office) macro security as a possibility.
    Based on my reading, newer versions of Excel have a -- File>Option>Trust -- setting that affects macro usage. Office 97 does NOT.
    Hopefully can get to it (Excel 97 toggle macro on) some way.
      My Computer

If the reinstallation did not work then I suspect that Excel macros depend on a Windows dll [or a particular version of one] that does not exist in Windows 10.

No Macro security setting affects whether or not you can get to your VB editor.

I think you will only solve the problem by looking through Excel 97 threads by other Excel 97 users to see if any of them have found a workaround.

I use Office 2007. When I install it I have to select particular options to get access to its VBA modules [One for VBA in general and another for Certificate signing]. I thought that Office 97 had a similar set of options for its VB version. These screenshots are from Office 2007 and are all within an installation options section called 'Shared features'
    Finding What is Dependent on What-screenshot-190-.png Finding What is Dependent on What-screenshot-195-.png

Denis
    Last edited by Try3; 03 Apr 2020 at 07:20.
      My Computer

Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909

Just a note, I have Office 2000 on a couple of Win10 computers and it works but I've never had need for Macros. And I do a Custom install leaving off Outlook.

Another note, Office 97 was pretty good but it didn't take long to find issues with Outlook and Outlook 98 was released to fix them. Maybe that's at play here?
      My Computers

6. Posts : 68
    10.0.18363, build 18363

Thanks to all for responding.
    Verified today using my old WIn-7 HDD that Excel-97 worked fine as well as the Macros and VB Editor on it.
    So, I'm pretty confident Win-10 did something when I upgraded from Win-7.

Based on my research to date, newer versions of Excel have a "Trust" property at File > Options
    to toggle on/off macro usage because of potential virus threats.
    Sadly, Offfice 97 does not have this or anything similar.
    I did try to reinstall Office 97 SR2, but it failed based on the log.
    Could not access a particular folder because read only.
    Plan to see if I can get to the folder this weekend as normal Administative priveleges do not appear to allow access to it.
      My Computer

dw85745 said:
    Based on my research to date, newer versions of Excel have a "Trust" property at File > Options to toggle on/off macro usage because of potential virus threats. Sadly, Offfice 97 does not have this or anything similar.
    You have mentioned this before but it is a red herring. Trust centre does not explain your inability to show the VB editor window.

dw85745 said:
    I did try to reinstall Office 97 SR2, but it failed based on the log. Could not access a particular folder because read only. Plan to see if I can get to the folder this weekend as normal Administative priveleges do not appear to allow access to it.
    I only install Bookshelf97 but if you tell me which folder you are talking about I'll see if I have any info on it.
    While you are looking, check its existing Permissions & Ownership.
    Make a system image before trying to alter anything so you can be confidentof getting back to square one.

The following links might also be of use -
    Have you searched this forum for other Office 97 guidance?
    - forum search facility - https://www.tenforums.com/search.php?query=
    - Google search of TenForums for Office 97 in Windows 10
    You cannot change User Account Control (UAC) settings on Windows 7 - MSSupport
    Another user found problems with Excel 97 macros - The only caveat is that Excel Macros no longer work - TenForums

Best of luck,
    Denis
    Last edited by Try3; 03 Apr 2020 at 07:12.
      My Computer

Is there some particular reason why you are sticking with Office 97?

I'm sticking with Office 2007. It is also out of support but it works. I managed to find an additional licence for 40 to use on my new computers.
    - I spent months testing Office 2016. I have not bothered testing later versions.
    - Outlook 2016 has multiple features that make it difficult & annoying to use.
    - Access 2016 has made it very difficult to see which line you are on in large tables by rendering alternate row colours in indistinguishable shades of grey.
    - Office 2016 applications have all white icons in their 'Quick access toolbars' making it more difficult to recognise & select each one.
    - Office 2016 has its own update mechanism [separate from Windows update] so even after taming Windows update there is another uncontrollable beast to use up my limited mobile data allowance.
    - Later Office versions omit the very useful utility, Office Picture Manager.

Office 2007 can open all Office 97 files and can convert older VB macros into VBA script. All Office 2007 applications use the same VBA so all you have to do is learn one new way of doing things [and get to grips with the object model in each one].
    - Office 2007 has a built-in Help system that provides real help.
    - The VBA editor in Office 2007 has its own built-in VBA Help system that provides real help.

Denis
    Last edited by Try3; 03 Apr 2020 at 09:00.
      My Computer

Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909

A sidenote: Office 2007 changed the format of files, e.g. changed all by the addition of an x to the file extension, ,doc to .docx, .xls to xlsx, etc. For that change Microsoft made available a Compatibility Pack that allowed Office 2000, Office XP/2002 and Office 2003 work with the new format. It was not usable on Office 97 or earlier. What I glean from that and having used Office back to Version 4.5 is that there were issues with those early versions, as usual newer/later versions fixed problems found and added new features.
      My Computers

10. Posts : 68
    10.0.18363, build 18363

-Try3 and Berton thanks for responding.

-------------
    Try3
    --------------
    You have mentioned this before but it is a red herring. Trust centre does not explain your inability to show the VB editor window.
    I made this assumption since both Macros and VB editor do Not function. I know there is much concern over hacking of macos for viruses. By extrapolation since VB editor can create a macro, seems logical ?

if you tell me which folder you are talking about I'll see if I have any info on it.
    c:\windows\fonts
    Can't check / modify the tahoma.ttf.

As I recall 20+ years ago I ran into this same issue trying to load SR2. At the time found it was odd. As I said 20+ years so memory may be off.

Is there some particular reason why you are sticking with Office 97?
    In my case I was diagnosed with choroidal melanoma in 2016 and have a 28% chance of 5 years. Hoping they
    are wrong, but since no sight in left eye now, don't particularly want to deal with something new.

Re links especially to Win-10 forum and post #23
    This IMHO confirms Win-10 broke macros or at least mirrors my experience.

----------------
    Berton
    ------------
    Microsoft made available a Compatibility Pack that allowed Office 2000, Office XP/2002 and Office 2003 work with the new format.
    Had forgotten about the compatibility pack. Loaded it into Win-7. Good thought, but do NOT think it has anything to do with the macros/vb editor. Have tried my HDD with Win-7 and Excel. All works fine. Used the free upgrade to Win-10 (online) so M$ did all the conversion from Win-7 to Win-10. Excel works. THe macros and vb editor don't.
      My Computer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast