Finding What is Dependent on What

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 20H2 Build 19042.868

Office 2007 also has the "Trust centre" and there is nothing in it that would stop you seeing your VB Editor window. Actually, there's nothing in it that would stop your macros running - it acts only on the applications for which it is provided & their later versions [in my case, Office 2007+].

To overwrite font files you would need to take ownership of the Tahoma fonts - but make a backup copy first. Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key - TenForumsTutorials
    - If you are to take ownership then do it for Administrators [note the plural, that is very important] so that all you will need to do is give admin permission to proceed whenevr a font was to be changed.
    - I assume that your Office 97 remains as usable as before despite the font error. If so, I would not bother trying to fix the font problem unless it manifested itself in real fault symptoms.
    - It is possible that an Administrator might not be able to take ownership of the font's files. Not likely but possible. There would still be ways to proceed despite that but they are all awkward.
    - You might find it best to delete these font files once you have the backup copies and have taken ownership. That way, all Office 97 will need to do is recreate them.

I agree with you that that other post indicates that you will fail. {Another user found problems with Excel 97 macros - The only caveat is that Excel Macros no longer work - TenForums}

I agree with you that the compatibility pack has nothing to do with the VB Editor problem.

I don't know if any of the free Office substitutes [Apache, OpenOffice, ...] provide for spreadsheet macros but even if they did they would require their macro language to be learnt which, as you have explained, is something you are trying to avoid

Denis
      My Computer

Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909

dw85745 said:
    c:\windows\fonts
    Can't check / modify the tahoma.ttf.
    As I recall a default installation of Win10 includes the Tahoma Font. I've always preferred using a different rather than editing a font included with the OS as it will get restored in a Reset/Reinstall or Version Upgrade. This shows the Version number of the Font, is yours the same or a holdover from Win7?
    Finding What is Dependent on What-image.png

The only issue I have with Fonts and Web pages is assuring a viewer can use what has been created, default Fonts always best.
      My Computers

3. Posts : 68
    10.0.18363, build 18363

-------------------------
    Try3 and Berton
    Re: Access to c:\windows\font folder.
    Attempted to take ownership as administrator but would not allow.
    Planned to play with it this weekend.
    Have some info on a "super administrator" but never used it.
    Only reason I am interested accessing the font folder, is to see if a reinstall of SR2 will allow macros / VB editor to work.
    (ie override what Win-10 did to stop them). In order to do that setup needs to run completely.

FWIW: If all else fails, can try Process Monitor but usually a tough go. Lastly, I can always use my Win-7 HDD and the Excel on it. Just more hassle instead of having all in one place.
      My Computer

Windows 10 Home x64 Version 20H2 Build 19042.868

dw85745 said:
    Try3 and Berton
    Re: Access to c:\windows\font folder.
    Attempted to take ownership as administrator but would not allow.
    Planned to play with it this weekend.
    Have some info on a "super administrator" but never used it.
    Only reason I am interested accessing the font folder, is to see if a reinstall of SR2 will allow macros / VB editor to work.
    (ie override what Win-10 did to stop them). In order to do that setup needs to run completely.

FWIW: If all else fails, can try Process Monitor but usually a tough go. Lastly, I can always use my Win-7 HDD and the Excel on it. Just more hassle instead of having all in one place.
    I do not believe that the font is stopping your VB Editor from appearing. If a necessary font was missing then Windows would try to cope but might display gibberish. I have seen threads by other people who have managed to change the overall System font and they have not complained of dialogs not appearing but of gibberish appearing / sizing problems / alignments shattered / ... .

To saved you wasting your time, please explain what happened when you tried to take ownership from TrustedInstaller - post screenhots to save verbage.

Many internet discussions about a "super administrator" are written by people who wear tinfoil hats to stop secret NFL spy satellites reading their thoughts. Please explain what you are going to try beforehand so that we can help you avoid wasting your time.

And another thing ...
    - If I really had to take ownership of a font, I would consider MS SysInternals {PSTools} suite, PSExec so I could masquarade as the System user. I have only once had a fault so deeply-entrenched that I have had to do this.
    - I do not believe that you have to do this and I do not believe that it will help you.
    - You might as well make backup copies of the font then boot up from any repair-type disk and use its command prompt to delete the existing Tahona font files so the Office 97 installation has a clear run. But I do not believe that it will help you.

(ie override what Win-10 did to stop them)
    Windows 10 has probably not done anything to stop 'them'. Office 97 VB Editor probably calls up a Windows dll and it is that that is missing / not functioning as Office 97 wants.

I agree with you that Process monitor might identify the problem. It is what I would use if I had to investigate this. But it will be a lot of work and will only help you if the VB Editor is trying to call up a Windows dll that is entirely missing. If it is merely calling up one that has changed so radically that it does not do what Office 97 needs any longer you might find that you are creating an overall Windows problem if you manage to substitute the old version from your Windows 7.

Best of luck,
    Denis
    Last edited by Try3; 03 Apr 2020 at 16:28.
      My Computer

5. Posts : 68
    10.0.18363, build 18363

--------------
    Try3
    -----------
    I do not believe that the font is stopping your VB Editor from appearing.
    I agree. I guess you missed my post. It is keeping Office97 SR2 from allowing me to fully RE-Install from the CD.

To saved you wasting your time, please explain what happened when you tried to take ownership from TrustedInstaller -
    All the troubleshooting is planned for this weekend.

"super administrator"
    Need to confirm article (# years old) and if info is any good -- as said never tried it.

Windows 10 has probably not done anything to stop 'them'. Office 97 VB Editor propbably calls up a Windows dll and it is that that is missing / not functioning as Office 97 wants.
    A possibility. Part of troubleshooting. If it is gone, Win-10 deleted it.

Will know more after this weekend.
      My Computer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12