No download version of MS Office ?

1. Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 20H2

No download version of MS Office ?

Hello.

First question: What specifically is a 'product key card'? I know that makes me sound out of the loop, but some MS software is offered in this format and I'm not quite sure if that's a good way to get software.

Second question: Any suggestions as to where I can buy MS Office, hopefully a later version, that is not a download ? That is, on some sort of media.

I bought, through Amazon, a copy of Win 10 Pro, and it came in a small box with a thumb drive and a card with a serial number of some sort. Insert thumb drive in USB port, use Win Explorer to read the files, click on [ setup.exe ] and there it is. Integrated well with my Win Seven-managed documents and programs. Do I have that option with any more recent version of Office?

I have Office 2010 (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook). I want to replace 2010 with some later version, but avoid downloading it. (Sometime unreliable Internet.)

Thanks in advance!
      My Computer

win 10

If want office 2019 this what Newegg says
    • Your activation code will be delivered on a Keycard with detailed instruction for installing the product. The manufacturer does not produce any CD/DVD/Flash drive for this product.
      My Computer

3. Posts : 1,719
    Windows 10 Home

Download is the only way to get it these days. What you see for sale are product keys to activate the download. Days of DVDs and usb's are pretty much over.
      My Computer

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

You can find some quite cheap licence keys for Office 2016/19 on eBay and Amazon. Buyer beware and always ask before purchase that the download link you will be offered is for a genuine Microsoft server. I've bough several of these licences for Office 2016 which are still working after 2 years.
      My Computers

Windows 10 Pro

Steve C said:
    You can find some quite cheap licence keys for Office 2016/19 on eBay and Amazon. Buyer beware and always ask before purchase that the download link you will be offered is for a genuine Microsoft server. I've bough several of these licences for Office 2016 which are still working after 2 years.
    Which sellers on Amazon?
      My Computers

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

x509 said:
    Which sellers on Amazon?
    Just search since the offers keep changing. There are currently offers on eBay but not Amazon (UK).
      My Computers

Windows / Linux : Arch Linux

Steve C said:
    Just search since the offers keep changing. There are currently offers on eBay but not Amazon (UK).
    Hi there
    just recently I think there was even a link on the Forum (access Forum via Browser without logging in - then you see the ad's -- although whether that is Forum or Browser generated or a combination of both -- no idea).

Offers though are still around --usually OK - I got a number of Office 2019 PRO licenses a while ago - no problems with activation via standard Updates, Windows re-installs etc etc.

If you pay via CREDIT CARD and software doesn't work - in a lot of countries -- depends on consumer credit laws in your jurisdiction - the credit card issuer has to refund the money if there's no satisfaction from seller / 3rd party agent. Note CREDIT not BANK DEBIT CARDS only have that protection.

In fact buying anything online I'd always use a Credit rather than a Debit card anyway -- you are much better protected against fraud etc -- and of course if Court cases take a while imagine what you have to do with ZERO money in the Bank if the money disappears from your Bank account and it takes months to get it back . With a Credit Card it's only the Credit Card company who are in fact missing the money as nothing can be taken from your accounts (standard Bank ones) while any Court action is in progress -- again check relevant consumer credit laws in you area --they are pretty similar in most "Western type" democracies now,

Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

8. Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 20H2

Thnnks! One 'install' question

I appreciate all the tips. It seems that a download is in my future for practical reasons.

So, I have a few Office 2010 programs, the usual office-based tools (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook.) Should I uninstall them before buying one of these product keys and then downloading what I've bought? Or will the install process after download provide options for removing older versions?

Thanks again!
    Tom F.
      My Computer

Windows 10 Pro 20H2 x64

jimbo45 said:
    If you pay via CREDIT CARD and software doesn't work - in a lot of countries -- depends on consumer credit laws in your jurisdiction - the credit card issuer has to refund the money if there's no satisfaction from seller / 3rd party agent. Note CREDIT not BANK DEBIT CARDS only have that protection.
    Seems like my country supports that. Thanks for the info.
      My Computers

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

T R Finlay said:
    I appreciate all the tips. It seems that a download is in my future for practical reasons.

So, I have a few Office 2010 programs, the usual office-based tools (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook.) Should I uninstall them before buying one of these product keys and then downloading what I've bought? Or will the install process after download provide options for removing older versions?

Thanks again!
    Tom F.
    I've normally uninstalled Office 2010 first since you can sometimes have problems if two versions of Office are installed
      My Computers