Word Can not handle 50 page document nor can acrobat  

1. Posts : 243
    os build 17143.950

Word Can not handle 3487 page document nor can acrobat

I have windows 10 ms word office 365 I made a txt file of my hard drive contents and its 3487 pages. Even notepad can not handle this very well.
    I try to save the word doc to a acrobat doc and it freezes up. THis computer can handle 1gig photoshop files
    So this is windows 10
    Word Can not handle 50 page document nor can acrobat-image.png
    Sorry it was a 3487 page document.

tree /f /a > C:\Listing\textfile.txt maybe its the way this document is formatted but word freezes up when I try to save it as a pdf file and word take forever to search this document.
    So this post did originally say 50 pages and I mixed things up I am sorry about this you guys. ! I guess it makes my post a bit useless. But still it seams word should not have a limit to the amount of text it can handle.
    Word Can not handle 50 page document nor can acrobat Attached Files
    Last edited by DonMurray; 02 Feb 2020 at 18:38.
      My Computer

2. Posts : 15,954
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.3448

Donny,

Whilst my Office [2007] Word can search your file quickly, if your Office Word is slow to search then perhaps Office Excel would be quicker.

Text files can be opened in Excel using
    right-click, Open with ...
    and
    by opening Excel first and then using its own File open dialog.

Excel might also be better for whatever manipulation of the list that you want to perform.

Denis
      My Computer

3. Posts : 29,555
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

DonMurray said:
    I am supprized this comptuer can not handle a 50 page document....
    Well, it's not the document's fault. I downloaded your attached 2020-02-02DONS980T-PC.txt and currently have it open simultaneously in Notepad, Wordpad and Word 2010 Starter. No problems at all.

Word Can not handle 50 page document nor can acrobat-image.png
      My Computers

4. Posts : 15,954
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.3448

Donny,

Since two of us can use your file in Word without problems, perhaps you should run a Repair of your Office installation.

Repair an Office application - OfficeSupport

Denis
      My Computer

5. Posts : 243
    os build 17143.950

I am sorry for the misunderstanding.
    The document I have a problem with is much larger it was created by doing a tree /f /a > C:\Listing\textfile.txt of my drive.

So this document its 3487 pages. I just looked at it at the wrong time. I did not know text could overwhelm word. Its a 45,450kb txt document.
      My Computer

6. Posts : 29,555
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

DonMurray said:
    The document I have a problem with is much larger it was created by doing a tree /f /a > C:\Listing\textfile.txt of my drive. .... Its a 45,450kb txt document.
    You must have a lot on your C: drive, I only get 18,492KB when I do that

Concatenating it three times into a single text file I get a 55,474KB file though, so I tested Notepad, Wordpad and Word with that.

Notepad takes its time to open it, about 30 seconds (on System One in my specs below, not my fastest machine) but once open a search is fast.

Wordpad is faster to open, about 20 seconds. But a search (initially) is a little slower. It seems Wordpad does not initially load all of the file into memory, it just loads the beginning of the files and loads the remainder as it is needed. However, once you have got to the end of the file it will all be in memory and searching is as fast as Notepad.

Word seems to use this partial loading 'trick' a little more aggressively, opening the text file in about 10-15 seconds. But to begin with the page count only says about 10 pages, slowly counting up as the rest is loaded in the background. Until the whole text file is loaded (22,389 pages in my case) searching is glacially slow.

So the bottom line is - if you want to search for text in such a large file, then you need to make sure that the whole text file has been read into memory before you start. Notepad does this on opening the file, Wordpad does it piecemeal as you scroll down the file. So does Word, but it does a lot more work formatting the text so it takes longer.

The easiest way to ensure the whole file is in memory is, as soon as you have opened it, to use Ctrl+End to move to the last line in the file. Word takes the longest to get there, having more processing to do. It took mine about three minutes (with the cpu at 59%) to load all 22,389 pages. But once you have it all in memory searching is fast.
      My Computers