This is How to permanently Disable Cortana

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       #1

    This is How to permanently Disable Cortana


    This is how to permanently disable Cortana, first start into safe mode and navigate to C:/Windows/SystemApps/Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy you will need to Take Ownership of the Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy folder and then delete the file SearchUI.exe. If anyone knows how to remover it from the start menu it would be much appreciated.

    Regards
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 4
    Windows 10
       #2

    Disable Cortana


    To turn Cortana off in the Start Menu:
    Bring up the Start menu and start typing. Click on the "hamburger" icon in the left sidebar and choose "Settings". From there, you can turn off Cortana.


    Permanately Disable Cortana Without using safe mode:
    Install Unlocker 1.92
    Navigate to the following folder: "C:/Windows/SystemApps/Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy"
    Right click "SearchUI.exe" and select "Unlocker"
    Under the action menu, select "Rename"
    Give it a new name such as "Disabled.SearchUI.exe"
    Click OK.

    To clear Cortana from the PC memory, either reboot or open task manager and kill Cortana.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 441
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    I want to get it out of my all apps menu.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 3
    Win 10 Pro / Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon
       #4

    fmustang76 said:
    To turn Cortana off in the Start Menu:
    Bring up the Start menu and start typing. Click on the "hamburger" icon in the left sidebar and choose "Settings". From there, you can turn off Cortana.


    Permanately Disable Cortana Without using safe mode:
    Install Unlocker 1.92
    Navigate to the following folder: "C:/Windows/SystemApps/Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy"
    Right click "SearchUI.exe" and select "Unlocker"
    Under the action menu, select "Rename"
    Give it a new name such as "Disabled.SearchUI.exe"
    Click OK.

    To clear Cortana from the PC memory, either reboot or open task manager and kill Cortana.

    Your the man! This worked perfectly for me. I used "Wise Force Deleter" (freeware app). She is now GONE! I need to find the start menu entry for her. When I do I will post back...


    Now onto "One Drive," lol

    Thanks!
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 3
    Win 10 Pro / Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon
       #5

    Ouch, if you do delete this file (or rename it) you will not be able to search from the Start Menu. For me that is a major must have so I restored the file from another PC.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 4
    Windows 10
       #6

    scrosler said:
    Ouch, if you do delete this file (or rename it) you will not be able to search from the Start Menu. For me that is a major must have so I restored the file from another PC.
    Yes, that is correct and I myself also restored Cortana shortly after disabling it after finding the same result. But for some, that is what they want to do, hence I recommend renaming the file rather than deleting it to easily restore Cortana if desired.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 3
    Win 10 Pro / Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon
       #7

    fmustang76 said:
    Yes, that is correct and I myself also restored Cortana shortly after disabling it after finding the same result. But for some, that is what they want to do, hence I recommend renaming the file rather than deleting it to easily restore Cortana if desired.
    Very true, but to take ownership I had to use Wise File Zapper. But I guess it would be a good idea to make a copy of the file before deleting it. Good point!
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 4
    2x10 1x7
       #8

    Cortana was disabled bt a privacy program. I cannot set it to ON. How do I restore it together with the search?

    My country and language settings are USA thus I got this with the download.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1
    windows 10
       #9

    Thank you! just renamed file with unlocker and she's gone.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1
    Win10
       #10

    I found this thread AFTER I managed to figure out how to take ownership, end, and delete the cortana folder. Anyone have the files they can post/send so I can get Cortana back? I really just want to be able to search. Had I known the search feature would be removed too, I wouldn't have deleted it
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums