Open Email in Browser.

1. Posts : 140
    Windows 10 Home 1909 fully updated.

Open Email in Browser.

Win 10 Home 1903

When this message appears at the top of an OUTLOOK 2019 incoming email...

Open Email in Browser.-open-browser.jpg

...I want it to open in my default Browser CHROME (I used Internet Explorer in my previous Win 7 installation). The filetype is shown as .MHT and a number of apps are offered as potential for opening this file, but none of them are browsers. So I choose "Look for another app on this PC" and select CHROME.EXE The resulting display shows the email content in a continuous text string rather than formatting it to represent the email.
    I assigned EDGE browser via this path...

"C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe"

---and it did not work. EDGE simply blinks and ends. I checked the filetype assignment and EDGE was assigned to that filetype, but not working. I can assign PSTVIEWER exe to read the MHT file, that reads it OK but does not render it properly.

I found this...

Outlook mht viewing in Chrome? - Computer Help - Tech Help Forum by How-To Geek

...but IETAB extension did not work for me. I have queried with the author of that extension.

I found I can open and render it properly in WORD. Which is a satisfactory work-around for the moment, but I would prefer that open in browser worked. Ideas welcome.
      My Computer

2. Posts : 12,475
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro

The .mht format is one of the choices offered by Internet Explorer for saving a Web page along with .html/Complete, .html only and .txt. An .html/Complete save will have a separate Folder with added _files to the folder name which contains the support files for the page itself. The .mht file has everything in a single file but may not be able to open in all browsers.
      My Computers

3. Posts : 140
    Windows 10 Home 1909 fully updated.

Thanks. IE may well support rendering MHT files from Outlook, although I have seen web reports that it no longer does. In any event IE is not installed as default in Win 10 and I'm not interested in installing it to satisfy this need. If Outlook supports this function then Msoft should at least provide a default means of rendering it. It worked flawlessly in Win 7, why not in Win 10?
      My Computer