TRansfer emails/contacts from Windows 10 to Office 365

1. Posts : 4
    Windows 10

TRansfer emails/contacts from Windows 10 to Office 365

Thinking of purchasing Office 365 personal. Is it easy to transfer emails and contacts from Windows 10 mail?
      My Computer

2. Posts : 27,673
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 21H1

Hi.

What is your email domain that you are using for Windows 10? Please don't post your full email address, just domain.

Both are clients so it depends what the back end is. If it is Outlook.com ( or hotmail, live, msn) no issues at all.

Ken
      My Computer

3. Posts : 4
    Windows 10

Thanks Ken.
    @btinternet.com
    Should add that I am a very senior citizen, so comprehension of computer phraseology limited!!
      My Computer

4. Posts : 10,545
    Windows 10 Workstation x64

I've just been having a look and I don't see any easy way to do it, there doesn't seem to be any export options in Windows 10 mail.
      My Computers

5. Posts : 27,673

Okay and how are you connecting to btinternet.com. Are you using IMAP or POP protocol.

I assume you can access your mail using a browser. If you you access your mail through a browser do all your folders appears as they do in Windows 10?

I don't have btinternet so not sure what it looks like using browser, do see see an icon for contacts? Are all your contacts visible in web version.

For any and all following, is btinternet just white labeling yahoo mail? I see yahoo when I google btinternet mail.
      My Computer

6. Posts : 4
    Windows 10

I can access mail via browser so think that I am using IMAP protocol.
    The folder names appear on both but probably due to my inexperience the folders on Windows 10 mail program are empty! Unless because I updated m y laptop a few months ago, the files I see on the browser were there via original laptop.
    There is an icon for contacts on the browser but does not show all contacts. Although when I press settings I get a pane with Import and Export (CSV).
      My Computer

7. Posts : 27,673

If you have no mail in folders, just in inbox, and they match what you see in Win 10 mail, your transition to use Outlook in Office 365 should be straight forward. You do need to know the server settings which I assume btinternet has on web. If it is Yahoo under the covers then it should be straight forward. I would call BTinternet and ask if this is Yahoo under the covers. They could even have setup instructions.

When you set up account if contacts don't sync, between BTinternet and Outlook for Office 365, then you would export from BTinetnet and import to Outlook in Office 365. Btinternet may have two options for export, in Outlook format or CSV. Ideally you want outlook but CSV should work.

If the export from Win10 People cannot be done you would have to augment the outlook contacts by typing them in.

When you say it does not show all contacts remember that mail products collect email addresses of people who have sent you mail or been copied on mail you received. These really aren't in your contacts, more a sidebook.

I cannot really recommend Outlook in Office 365 to any inexperienced user. Outlook is great until it isn't, then it can be very difficult to repair. Next if you are storing contacts solely in Outlook for Office 365 (if it does not sync with BTinternet) then you are responsible for backing them up.

I really try to encourage people to move off these supplier accounts and onto Outlook.com or gmail. Outlook.com syncs 100% with Win 10 or Outlook in Office 365. Gmail does a really nice sync with Android phone or Win 10. I realize that maybe something you are not interested in.
      My Computer

8. Posts : 5,830
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2

Caledon Ken said:
    I cannot really recommend Outlook in Office 365 to any inexperienced user. Outlook is great until it isn't, then it can be very difficult to repair.

Next if you are storing contacts solely in Outlook for Office 365 (if it does not sync with BTinternet) then you are responsible for backing them up.
    I've been using some form of Outlook for years whether it was in the military or personal use and never had an issue with it. In fact it's my defacto scheduler and organizer. For me it's the one must have app out of all of the programs I have. Currently running Office 365 with Outlook. I also have an Outlook.com account but rarely if ever use it being everything is sync'd to both PC and my Android phone.

I also have a separate .pst data file that stores my contacts and calendar and is backed up daily. It's also sync'd to my Android phone via CompanionLink.

As to the OP's question I have no suggestions as I don't use Windows 10 mail.
      My Computers

9. Posts : 4
    Windows 10

Thank you , good folk, for your input.
    Will digest all your comments and try to move forward appropriately.
      My Computer