Office 2019 and 365 - when will they diverge

1. Posts : 11,204
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux

Office 2019 and 365 - when will they diverge

Hi folks

currently Office 2019 and Office/365 seem to be updating concurrently -- I thought I read somewhere that soon only Office/365 will be regularly updated and supported by Ms.

Has anybody any inclination as to when this might occur or is this just a ploy by Ms into scaring people to switch to the subscription version.

My cheap office 2019 licenses that I got a while ago from Amazon (well over 180 days ago so if the seller gave temporary mak keys etc those would long since have expired!!!) are still working, update regularly, black theme still there --that's always a good test if the "license" isn't valid - Black theme disappears !! and activation fine even on the latest Windows skip ahead build 18990.

Office 2019 and 365 - when will they diverge-o1909.png

Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

2. Posts : 12,474
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro

I haven't seen anything about a 'divergence' but when considering the talk about WaaS [Windows as a Service] and SaaS [Software as a Service] and the apparent push to OneDrive or the Cloud we may be soon seeing minimal OSes installed on a new computer then finish after connecting to the Internet, kinda scary in a way by having everything stored where anyone can get to it.
      My Computers

3. Posts : 11,602
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1776

jimbo45 said:
    currently Office 2019 and Office/365 seem to be updating concurrently -- I thought I read somewhere that soon only Office/365 will be regularly updated and supported by Ms.
    Has anybody any inclination as to when this might occur or is this just a ploy by Ms into scaring people to switch to the subscription version.
    Office 365 will receive feature updates and version updates. Office 2019 should only get security updates. This is explained in the second entry in the table at
    What's the difference between Office 365 and Office 2019? - OfficeSupport

If you are currently getting exactly the same updates then, if MS are following their own policy, it means that every update has had a security aspect to it. There can be no telling when that situation might end.

Denis
      My Computer

4. Posts : 469
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2 x64

You are only getting Security updates and they will continue till support period.
      My Computers

5. Posts : 11,204

RK1997 said:
    You are only getting Security updates and they will continue till support period.

Hi folks

I can't see any features that aren't available in Office 2019 that are in Office/365 -- maybe someone could enlighten me ?? please !

There might be some sort of "Working in teams" or other "collaboration" type B/S but core functionality such as improvement to Pivot tables in EXCEL (actually EXCEL is the only part of the suite that I want "the greatest and latest") seems to be identical.

As for all embedded Youtube stuff I really couldn't be bothered with, powerpoint works just fine as is - I don't really need anything on top of what's there, email -- so long as it sends and receives email including via exchange servers I don't need anything fancy there either, Word --I only use basic stuff, and as for Access --IMO it insults the word "database" --it's hideous, breaks easily, and woe betide you if 2 people (on a database system !!!) try and use it concurrently --if you want a decent free database system go for MySql or I think its clone is these days Mariadb -- works perfectly on Windows and can sevice zillions of concurrent queries.

Perhaps it's time for some of those " 3rd party Office clones" such as LibreOffice etc to include a decent email client with their offerings -- while Thunderbird works it's by no means as nice in how you can decently sort emails / accounts etc. It's passable though as a "freebie" but I still have to give OUTLOOK the award as at least for me the email client of choice. (At least once you've got round the "auto config" screens and got back to the manual configuration !!!).

Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

6. Posts : 469
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2 x64

jimbo45 said:
    Hi folks

I can't see any features that aren't available in Office 2019 that are in Office/365 -- maybe someone could enlighten me ?? please !

There might be some sort of "Working in teams" or other "collaboration" type B/S but core functionality such as improvement to Pivot tables in EXCEL (actually EXCEL is the only part of the suite that I want "the greatest and latest") seems to be identical.

As for all embedded Youtube stuff I really couldn't be bothered with, powerpoint works just fine as is - I don't really need anything on top of what's there, email -- so long as it sends and receives email including via exchange servers I don't need anything fancy there either, Word --I only use basic stuff, and as for Access --IMO it insults the word "database" --it's hideous, breaks easily, and woe betide you if 2 people (on a database system !!!) try and use it concurrently --if you want a decent free database system go for MySql or I think its clone is these days Mariadb -- works perfectly on Windows and can sevice zillions of concurrent queries.

Perhaps it's time for some of those " 3rd party Office clones" such as LibreOffice etc to include a decent email client with their offerings -- while Thunderbird works it's by no means as nice in how you can decently sort emails / accounts etc. It's passable though as a "freebie" but I still have to give OUTLOOK the award as at least for me the email client of choice. (At least once you've got round the "auto config" screens and got back to the manual configuration !!!).

Cheers
    jimbo
    Read these for a better understanding:
    1. Office 365 vs Office 2019 – What’s the difference? | Storyals Blog
    2. What is the difference between Office 365 and Office 2019? - Office 365
    3. Real feature differences.
      My Computers

7. Posts : 11,204

Hi there @RK1997

I READ this stuff and it's just B/S sales spiel -- there's absolutely NO significant diffence yet that any serious user of EXCEL say would need --

Please actually READ the posts before just blindigly publising links -- as for vector graphics etc I doubt whether that's of any interest to 99.9% of typical Office users --once you start getting into that type of requirement there's zillions of better professional packages around.

I don't know what the Indian I.T outsourcers do or how they go about their business --that's their issue of course but most of the places where I've worked the average Office user only bothers with about 2% of the "extra" or "power users" features of Office -- EXCEL is probably the one where power users test it a bit more to the limit --other stiff they could quite happily run Office 2007 or even Office 2000 !! without missing too much.

Cheers

jimbo.
      My Computer