Are these offers really legitimate?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1. Posts : 28
    Windows 10 Home

Are these offers really legitimate?

Hi Folks, Just joined Tenforums but have been a member of Sevenforums for a while.

I have an old copy of Office 2000 which I managed to install successfully under W7 but when I tried to install it on my new laptop running W10 Home I got multiple errors during the install and it wouldn't launch.

Consequently I started looking at buying a newer version but Microsoft prices are just ridiculous. However I did find a couple of UK sites offering downloads of what they claim to be genuine retail versions of Office 2016 with a lifetime licence at very low prices - around £40 - £50.

I'm very suspicious of this, it looks too good to be true and I'd be interested to hear member's views on the legitimacy of it.
      My Computer

2. Posts : 11,247
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux

Hi there
    probably are dubious if they really are low.

What you might find though could be some really cheap versions of Office 2010 (still gets updates and will not be discontinued until late 2020) as a lot of these were issued as retail, student, and OEM and the keys have never been used.

Like anything else though it's "Caveat Emptor" or essentially AYOR.

If you need Office without OUTLOOK there are some perfectly acceptable pretty compatible versions out there -- my favourite on this is WPS office -- and it's FREE. This works really well and unless you are a really super doper power excel user with loads of macros etc you won't notice the difference between it and EXCEL !!!

https://www.wps.com/

For an email client thunderbird is OK and Free as well.

Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

3. Posts : 28
    Windows 10 Home

Hi Jimbo, thanks for responding.

At the moment I have Open Office installed which does pretty much everything that I need and I do already use Thunderbird as my email client. It's just that I like to have MS Office available in case I need to open anything I've been sent that Open Office can't cope with. It's also useful to check that files I've created with Open Office are compatible with MS Office before I send them out.

Regards,
    Gwaihir
      My Computer

4. Posts : 11,247
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux

Hi there
    @Gwaihir

Another easy way to check is to access Ms Office apps on Android (assuming you aren't one of those I-thingey fan people) . Simply send you open office document to phone and see if Excel on phone or word or whatever can read it.

the Ms apps are Free. That will then show you quickly whether the Ms Office stuff will handle documents OK.

I still think though wps office is streets arhead of open office although both show what can be done without having to pay Ms a slodge of money.

Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

5. Posts : 5,452
    Windows 11 Home

You could use WPS Office Free to check for compatibility problems.
    I have abandoned OO/LO long time ago because of compatibility issues.

For example, what the same document looks like in both, values are completely gone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are these offers really legitimate?-capture_02202019_174647.jpg  
      My Computer

6. Posts : 28
    Windows 10 Home

Hmmm . . . . I'm not that keen on Chinese stuff, especially government-funded Chinese stuff, even if it is free.

I think I'll stick with Open Office, even with it's eccentricities. I'm using Apache Open Office and generally only need the wordprocessor which so far has shown good compatibility with my old version of Word.
      My Computer

7. Posts : 1,773
    Windows 10 Home

"
    It's also useful to check that files I've created with Open Office are compatible with MS Office before I send them out."

If that's all you want to do, you can open them in Onedrive on a web browser.
      My Computer

8. Posts : 331
    windows 10

I got office 2010 on E Bay for 3 installs for $ 50.00 installed and activated just fine
      My Computer

9.   My Computers

10. Posts : 31,660
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

Gwaihir said:
    I have an old copy of Office 2000 which I managed to install successfully under W7 but when I tried to install it on my new laptop running W10 Home I got multiple errors during the install and it wouldn't launch.

You may find this interesting....

A look at running older versions of Microsoft Office on Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

Can't say I've tried installing Office 2000 on W10, but installing on W7 ran into an update problem. While the SP3 update is still available on the MS servers a prerequisite is Service Release SR1a which is no longer available from MS. Depending on how old your install media is you may need the SR1a. the MS download page for SR1a has been archive in the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Click 'Download now' on this archived page.

Office 2000 Service Release 1a (SR-1a) Update - Download Details for English

Alternatively, Libre Office is a good free alternative to MS Office.

Edit: Office 2000 SP3 is no longer available from MS, it has recently been removed from their servers. It is available in the Wayback Machine here:

O2ksp3a.exe November 13, 2002 File size: 59.5 MB
    Microsoft Office XP Resource Kit
    Last edited by Bree; 20 Feb 2019 at 18:08. Reason: SP3 no longer available from MS
      My Computers