Are these offers really legitimate?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

1. Posts : 28
    Windows 10 Home

jimbo45 said:
    What you might find though could be some really cheap versions of Office 2010 (still gets updates and will not be discontinued until late 2020) as a lot of these were issued as retail, student, and OEM and the keys have never been used.

I have found a copy of Office 2010 on optical media with key for a reasonable price so I'll probably give that a try.

Grateful thanks to everyone who has contributed to the discussion.

Regards,
    Gwaihir.
      My Computer

2. Posts : 66
    Windows 10 Pro 1909 64 bit

If you are employed by a company that is a Microsoft partner, you might be able to snag a MS Office Pro license for a very low price. I bought one for about $9 while employed by Fujitsu. I also bought the licenses for Visio and Project Pro from eBay for a few bucks each. All were 2016 Pro versions and activated without issue.
      My Computer

3. Posts : 7,903
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Last year I bought an Office 2016 licence for £7 from a supplier on Amazon UK. I chose Amazon since they are quite good at refunding you if a product is counterfeit. I downloaded Office 2016 from MS, it activated fine and is still working after 18 months. Similar deals are still on offer.
      My Computers

4. Posts : 668
    Win 10 pro

I use LibreOffice and I send/request documents in pdf format (you can export to pdf both in ms office and libreoffice); this way you avoid any compatibility problem, of course this can't work if you need the docs for edits.
    Of course everybody can open and view/edit libreoffice documents, it is simple enough to download and install it.
      My Computer

5. Posts : 11,247
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux

Steve C said:
    Last year I bought an Office 2016 licence for £7 from a supplier on Amazon UK. I chose Amazon since they are quite good at refunding you if a product is counterfeit. I downloaded Office 2016 from MS, it activated fine and is still working after 18 months. Similar deals are still on offer.
    Hi there
    If you use a Credit card (not a debit card) and you don't get the goods which you have purchased or they are faulty and you bought the goods anywhere in the EU / EEA zones you will get your money back from the Bank (i.e credit card company) -- you don't have to chase the original supplier. Probably some other countries have this too -- e.g AUS, CAN,NZ,USA I'd imagine. If in UK - after Mar 29 who knows but I'm sure Banks will sort something out.

Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

6. Posts : 7,903
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

jimbo45 said:
    Hi there
    If you use a Credit card (not a debit card) and you don't get the goods which you have purchased or they are faulty and you bought the goods anywhere in the EU / EEA zones you will get your money back from the Bank (i.e credit card company) -- you don't have to chase the original supplier. Probably some other countries have this too -- e.g AUS, CAN,NZ,USA I'd imagine. If in UK - after Mar 29 who knows but I'm sure Banks will sort something out.

Cheers
    jimbo
    True but it's simpler and quicker to get a refund via Amazon
      My Computers

7. Posts : 11,247
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux

Steve C said:
    True but it's simpler and quicker to get a refund via Amazon
    Hi there
    If you can and they are usually OK -- was just mentioning in case of problems then using a credit card is generally a better bet.

Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

8. Posts : 28
    Windows 10 Home

Steve C said:
    That product on Amazon now is £79.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-O.../dp/B011N7884S
      My Computer

9. Posts : 7,903
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Gwaihir said:
    That product on Amazon now is £79.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-O.../dp/B011N7884S
    I must have struck gold! What about this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/MICROSOFT-O...dp/B07JGLX5QL/
      My Computers

10. Posts : 28
    Windows 10 Home

You definitely did!

I've now ordered the Office 2010 version on optical media that I mentioned earlier. It's £5 more than the one you linked but fingers crossed it will hopefully work under both W7 and W10 should that prove necessary. Also because I'm an old fart I still prefer to get my software on media rather than download when possible. I can use my W7 desktop PC to get it onto the laptop which doesn't have an optical drive .
      My Computer