Outlook 365 - adding new account problem

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

1. Posts : 152
    Windows 10 Home v201H2

Kari said:
    I prefer setting up any other than Microsoft Exchange accounts (POP3, IMAP) using Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Mail. Please notice that Outlook application must be closed, not running when doing this.

Select Email accounts:

Attachment 202475
    Kari, my friend:

I just upgraded to v1903, and found that Microsoft has deprecated the Mail option from Control Panel.
    Apparently, that dialog is now only available from File/Account Settings from within Outlook itself.

The problem with that is that any changes to Outlook profiles or data file locations cannot be made while Outlook is running.
    So, does this mean that one must call this dialog from within Outlook, and then close Outlook out while retaining this dialog box open? How does that work? Any suggestions, and have you experienced this yourself?
      My Computer

2. Posts : 17,661
    Windows 10 Pro

gpstoloff said:
    I just upgraded to v1903, and found that Microsoft has deprecated the Mail option from Control Panel.
    Apparently, that dialog is now only available from File/Account Settings from within Outlook itself.
    It is not deprecated, still present in 1903 /19H1. This screenshot is from my Insider build 18922, preview for 20H1:

Outlook 365 - adding new account problem-image.png

Kari
      My Computer

3. Posts : 152
    Windows 10 Home v201H2

Well, here's my screenshot from 18362.175 (v19H1):

Outlook 365 - adding new account problem-2019-06-28.png

Apologies for the size; I'm having trouble with "Insert Image". If your magnifying glass works, you will observe that the Mail (Microsoft Outlook 365) is no longer present on my Control Panel.

Next suggestion?
      My Computer

4. Posts : 17,661
    Windows 10 Pro

gpstoloff said:
    If your magnifying glass works, you will observe that the Mail (Microsoft Outlook 365) is no longer present on my Control Panel.?
    It is of course only present after Office, including Outlook, has been installed. It is not deprecated, it is a feature present both in version 19H1 (1903) and preview builds of version 20H1.

If you have installed Office, and if it is still not shown in Control Panel, then either your Windows or Office installation has some issues.

In any case, I find it quite strange that you tell a feature has been deprecated by Microsoft, only because you do not find it, without any other proof.

Kari
      My Computer

5. Posts : 11,247
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux

Kari said:
    It is of course only present after Office, including Outlook, has been installed. It is not deprecated, it is a feature present both in version 19H1 (1903) and preview builds of version 20H1.

If you have installed Office, and if it is still not shown in Control Panel, then either your Windows or Office installation has some issues.

In any case, I find it quite strange that you tell a feature has been deprecated by Microsoft, only because you do not find it, without any other proof.

Kari
    Hi folks

it's still in control panel and functioning on latest 1903 Windows 19H1 build -- I've office 2019 installed - it will show up on most people's systems as Mail (outlook 2016) for office versions >2016 installed.

Outlook 365 - adding new account problem-.png

however you can do it manually if you still don't have outlook mail etc on control panel

from the run command (Win+R) type: outlook.exe /manageprofiles

Now you can get back to the old classic screens for adding / modyfying email accounts in Office 2016/2019 rather than those stupid auto config things which are HOPELESS when you need anything slightly non standard like different user logons and servers for in/outbound mail etc.

Cheers
    jimbo
    Last edited by jimbo45; 29 Jun 2019 at 02:47. Reason: added command to do the same thing
      My Computer

6. Posts : 152
    Windows 10 Home v201H2

OK, I wuz wrong to accuse MS of getting rid of a Control Panel applet, without a equivalent feature in W10 Settings being visible. Of course, that has never happened, has it? But I'll concede that it's probably an Office issue.

The significant issue, IMNSHO, is that this Mail Configuration applet is still present in the proper WindowsApps directory folder -- but, post-1903 Windows Update, its icon disappeared from my Control Panel, after being present before the Update! That's why I was making the point -- i.e., was it a side effect of the 1903 Update or a different Office-related challenge?

I've tried using Apps/Office Repair, SFC & DISM to no effect, so I'll probably have to uninstall (using the downloadable Uninstall Tool) & reinstall Office 365 next. Cross your fingers, toes, and even eyes, folks!

All this to move my OST files out of Program Data into its own visible directory. ARRRGGGHHH!
      My Computer

7. Posts : 11,247

Hi there
    @gpstoloff

did you try my suggestion

run command : outlook.exe /manageprofiles

don't have outlook open when you run the command of course.

It's best to do that anyway rather than any control panel applet as the control panel itself is soon to be "scheduled for termination" -- I'm quite surprised why it's still there anyway.

Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

8. Posts : 152
    Windows 10 Home v201H2

jimbo45 said:
    run command : outlook.exe /manageprofiles
    don't have outlook open when you run the command of course.
    It's best to do that anyway rather than any control panel applet as the control panel itself is soon to be "scheduled for termination" -- I'm quite surprised why it's still there anyway.
    Yes, I can open the .cpl that way, but Outlook still considers itself "open" enough to block my moving the data files.

And, after Kari's previous chiding, I'm not going to discuss missing Control Panel items any more.
      My Computer

9. Posts : 17,661
    Windows 10 Pro

gpstoloff said:
    And, after Kari's previous chiding, I'm not going to discuss missing Control Panel items any more.
    "Chiding"?

You posted this:

gpstoloff said:
    I replied without any "chiding":

Kari said:
    It is not deprecated, still present in 1903 /19H1. This screenshot is from my Insider build 18922, preview for 20H1.
    You didn't even consider that you could be wrong, and replied:

gpstoloff said:
    Well, here's my screenshot from 18362.175 (v19H1):

Apologies for the size; I'm having trouble with "Insert Image". If your magnifying glass works, you will observe that the Mail (Microsoft Outlook 365) is no longer present on my Control Panel.

Next suggestion?
    You were giving false and invalid information about Microsoft deprecating a feature, and when told that it is not true, continued as if it really was true.

For that, I replied:

Kari said:

If that is "chiding", then I will "chide" a bit more: I still can't understand that you, without checking it in any way, just falsely informed other readers of this thread that Microsoft has deprecated a feature, when checking things up a bit, you would have seen that your statement was absolutely not true. You having an issue does not automatically mean that Microsoft has deprecated something.

Apparently, I should have replied that "Yes, you are right, Microsoft has deprecated this feature from you. All other users, however, still have it".

Kari
      My Computer

10. Posts : 11,247

Kari said:
    "Chiding"?

You posted this:

I replied without any "chiding":

You didn't even consider that you could be wrong, and replied:

You were giving false and invalid information about Microsoft deprecating a feature, and when told that it is not true, continued as if it really was true.

For that, I replied:

If that is "chiding", then I will "chide" a bit more: I still can't understand that you, without checking it in any way, just falsely informed other readers of this thread that Microsoft has deprecated a feature, when checking things up a bit, you would have seen that your statement was absolutely not true. You having an issue does not automatically mean that Microsoft has deprecated something.

Apparently, I should have replied that "Yes, you are right, Microsoft has deprecated this feature from you. All other users, however, still have it".

Kari
    Hi there @Kari

sometimes dealing with people is just a thankless task -- we all know the genuine hard workers here who give decent advice etc and aren't scared to admit when they've made a mistake!!!

Usually problems come from people who are either new members or who have only a few posts - often less than single or double digit figures -- I think that's probably how society seems to operate these days where people just don't seem to have any respect for others.

I read in a UK paper the other day ( I am in London currently for the opening day of Wimbledon Tennis --nice Centre Court ticket and free "Hospitality all day" !!! looking forward to that ) -- where a cyclist had to pay 100,000 GBP (approx 113,000 EUR) in Court costs to a pedestrian who suddenly stepped into the road looking at a mobile phone--the actual damages awarded were of the order of 5,000 EUR (questionable in my view as anybody crossing a road looking at a mobile phone deserves everything that happens in the way of accidents --) However had the cyclist been insured the court costs are capped to around 27% of the damages awarded so around probably 1,000 EUR / 970 GBP or so -- but since the cyclist self defended the court costs are Unlimited --that's how UK justice works and they complain about Russian Courts !!!!! --Imagine in Finland if a woman was charged different prices in a Supermarket for the same bunch of shopping as a Man !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer