Excel Automatically Starts Upon Login After Using

  1. ericnixmd's Avatar
    Posts : 305
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
       #1

    Excel Automatically Starts Upon Login After Using


    I rarely use Excel. However, our resident schedule is published in spreadsheet format. If I open it with Excel and later close/exit the Excel app, Excel will automatically start when I restart my computer or shut down/start again.

    I'm not sure if there is some remnant of the program that is hanging around. Has anyone experienced this?
      My Computer

  2. SoFine409's Avatar
    Posts : 1,316
    Win10 Pro
       #2

    ericnixmd said:
    I rarely use Excel. However, our resident schedule is published in spreadsheet format. If I open it with Excel and later close/exit the Excel app, Excel will automatically start when I restart my computer or shut down/start again.

    I'm not sure if there is some remnant of the program that is hanging around. Has anyone experienced this?
    Next time you close an Excel file you could open Task Manager and see if Excel is still running. Sometimes when I open an Excel file an empty Excel file opens behind the active window and when I close the file the second Excel window remains on the desktop.
      My Computers

  3. Stitch194's Avatar
    Posts : 430
    Windows 10 Pro
       #3

    This was a bug with word in the MS Fall update. First I've heard of XL exhibiting the same auto open on log IN
    What version of Windows are you running. @SoFine409 gives good advice to stop the behavior. You could also check Task Manager > Start Up tab and see if there's an entry for XL to automatically open on Start.
      My Computer

  4. ericnixmd's Avatar
    Posts : 305
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #4

    I checked the task manager and didn't find any occurrence of Excel.

    I'm running 1803 (build 17134.228).

    How can I report this to Microsoft? Is there an Office specific bug reporting site, or should I use the feedback hub app?
      My Computer

  5. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,433
    windows 10 Pro ver 20H2 build 19042.867
       #5

    ericnixmd said:
    I rarely use Excel. However, our resident schedule is published in spreadsheet format. If I open it with Excel and later close/exit the Excel app, Excel will automatically start when I restart my computer or shut down/start again.

    I'm not sure if there is some remnant of the program that is hanging around. Has anyone experienced this?
    My problem is not Office related, but there is certain similarity between yours and mine.
    My issue is that each time when I restart my computer either from Sleep or from Shut Down, the last program that is opened before will open automatically.
    I have resigned to live with it, but it is annoying.
    I apologize if my post is irrelevant.
    ( Win 10 Home ver 1803 build 17134.228 )
      My Computer

  6. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 28,407
    Windows 10 21H1 Build 19043.1023
       #6

    ericnixmd said:
    I checked the task manager and didn't find any occurrence of Excel.

    I'm running 1803 (build 17134.228).

    How can I report this to Microsoft? Is there an Office specific bug reporting site, or should I use the feedback hub app?
    Right click on the taskbar>Task Manager>Startup and see if Excel is listed. If it is, click on it to highlight, then click Disable at the bottom of the window.
      My Computer

  7. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 28,407
    Windows 10 21H1 Build 19043.1023
       #7

    davidhk said:
    My problem is not Office related, but there is certain similarity between yours and mine.
    My issue is that each time when I restart my computer either from Sleep or from Shut Down, the last program that is opened before will open automatically.
    I have resigned to live with it, but it is annoying.
    I apologize if my post is irrelevant.
    ( Win 10 Home ver 1803 build 17134.228 )
    David, the same thing I proposed to Eric may help you . . .

    Right click on the taskbar>Task Manager>Startup and see what's listed. If there's something related to your problem, click on it to highlight, then click Disable at the bottom of the window.
      My Computer

  8. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 19,732
    10 Home x64 (21H1) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #8

    davidhk said:
    My problem is not Office related, but there is certain similarity between yours and mine.
    My issue is that each time when I restart my computer either from Sleep or from Shut Down, the last program that is opened before will open automatically.
    There was a new feature introduced by MS (without any publicity or even documentation) in the Fall Creators Update (1709) which will reopen many types of app (but not all) if they were left open when you last shut down. Apps that can be reopened include MS Office, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Wordpad and Task Manager. Apps that can't reopen include Edge, Firefox and Notepad.
    on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before

    This 'feature' was overwhelmingly condemned by users (once they'd worked out what was happening) mainly as there was no way to turn it off. For 1803 (and retro-fitted to 1709 in a cumulative update) there now is...

    on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before - post #222
      My Computers

  9. ericnixmd's Avatar
    Posts : 305
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #9

    This has resurfaced, but now it's Word that automatically starts. It will start even after closing out Word prior to reboot/shut down. Nothing is listed in the startup tab.

    Weird how the Excel auto opening at startup randomly went away, then reappeared over a year later with Word.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums