Windows 10: Free Mobile APP Of MS WORD ?

1.    19 Jun 2018 #1

Free Mobile APP Of MS WORD ?

Hello,

Just came across the free (called "mobile") downloads of MS WORD, etc. for W10.
    From what I can see, they really are free.

Sure I am missing something:

If free, why would anyone buy Office ?

What am I, as usual, missing ?
    Thought I would ask here first before downloading. Pros and cons of, etc. ?

Not sure what it is called, but apparently there id also a basic WORD word processor included with
    Windows 10. Better than the previous ?

Any comments on (either) would be appreciated.

(or just download the free Libre Suite ?)

Bob
      My ComputerSystem Spec

2.    19 Jun 2018 #2

Wordpad is he name of the included word-process with W10
      My ComputerSystem Spec

3. Posts : 613
    Windows 10 Home SL 64-bit, v1803
       19 Jun 2018 #3

For basic stuff the wordpad should do you fine. But in reality people would rather use Word for that matter.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       19 Jun 2018 #4

A free portable program compatible with Word, Excel and PowerPoint files is called LibreOffice. It does not have a comparable version of Outlook E-Mail Client or Microsoft Publisher. I keep LibreOffice installed on all my computers, even those that have Microsoft Office [no conflicts, just have to pay attention to file associations], because some of my clients use it and sometimes need to try to duplicate their problems.
    Portable versions | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People
      My ComputerSystem Spec

Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18219
       19 Jun 2018 #5

Robert11 said: View Post
    Hello,

Just came across the free (called "mobile") downloads of MS WORD, etc. for W10.
    From what I can see, they really are free.

Sure I am missing something:

If free, why would anyone buy Office ?

What am I, as usual, missing ?
    Thought I would ask here first before downloading. Pros and cons of, etc. ?

Not sure what it is called, but apparently there id also a basic WORD word processor included with
    Windows 10. Better than the previous ?

Any comments on (either) would be appreciated.

(or just download the free Libre Suite ?)

Bob
    Good morning, Bob.

I checked the Microsoft Store and searched for "free MS Word" and this is what I found:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FreeWord.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	192824

So, I'm afraid there's no free lunch on this one. It would seem that Microsoft no longer even sells the Office apps separately.

However, there is one way to get Word free if you have a 10.1" tablet or smaller. Go to Google's store and if you have the aforementioned tablet, you can download Word, Excel and Outlook for free. That said, if you have a tablet larger than 10.1", you have to have a subscription to get the apps on your tablet for free.
      My ComputerSystem Spec