Windows 10: MS Office vs Libre Office Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    05 Jun 2018 #1

MS Office vs Libre Office

Does anyone know if these two will play nice together on the same computer? Any conflicts? Can Libre be removed without affecting/damaging MS Office?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

2.    05 Jun 2018 #2

I can see no reason to have both. Libre is free but MS Office is subscription based.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

3.    05 Jun 2018 #3

Josey Wales said: View Post
    I can see no reason to have both. Libre is free but MS Office is subscription based.
    As I understand it, MS Office is one to a computer. I have it installed on my desktop. I wanted to try out Libre Office on my desktop, and if I like it I was going to delete it from the desktop and install it on my laptop. The less I mess with my laptop (installing/deleting) the happier I'll be. I can afford to screw up my desktop, but not my laptop.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       05 Jun 2018 #4

Libre Office is available in Portable App form if you just want to try it out without installing. Using a portable app will not conflict with any installed versions of MS Office.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/portable-versions/

In fact, I have a number of portable apps permanently on my laptop, Libre Office being one of them.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       05 Jun 2018 #5

Some folks will consider LibreOffice not having an E-Mail Client such as Outlook being a distractor, maybe not having something comparable to Publisher which would be legitimate reason/s to keep Office [Publisher is my reason on one computer]. But there are free programs available on the 'net. Beware that 'free for download' may not always mean free to use forever.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

6.    05 Jun 2018 #6

milford said:
    Does anyone know if these two will play nice together on the same computer? Any conflicts? Can Libre be removed without affecting/damaging MS Office?
    Yes, they play nicely together. I have MS Office 2010 and LibreOffice 'Fresh' 6.0.4 installed on both PC and laptop.

If you install LibreOffice, during the installation you will be asked if you want to change file associations from MS Office to LibreOffice... just say no.

Removing LibreOffice won't damage MS Office either... I've done this several times as part of a test and never had a problem.

Hope this helps...

PS - Make sure it's LibreOffice and not (Apache) OpenOffice.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

7.    05 Jun 2018 #7

RickC said: View Post
    Yes, they play nicely together. I have MS Office 2010 and LibreOffice 'Fresh' 6.0.4 installed on both PC and laptop.

If you install LibreOffice, during the installation you will be asked if you want to change file associations from MS Office to LibreOffice... just say no.

Removing LibreOffice won't damage MS Office either... I've done this several times as part of a test and never had a problem.

Hope this helps...

PS - Make sure it's LibreOffice and not (Apache) OpenOffice.
    Thank you. That what I needed to know.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

8. Posts : 864
    Windows 10
       05 Jun 2018 #8

I have had MS Office 2002/2010 and OpenOffice installed for many years on a number of PCs, Laptops, no conflicts they are separate applications. The same would apply to Libre Office.

"As I understand it, MS Office is one to a computer."
    Not necessarily, my MS Office 2010 is a 3 license version. At the time good value, but that has changed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       05 Jun 2018 #9

For many versions of Office the EULA specified a Workstation and a portable device in control of the same person. Read that as Desktop and Notebook. I have a copy of Office 2007 for 3 devices on the shelf.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

10.    07 Jun 2018 #10

Hi folks
    can't understand why this suite is never mentioned on the Forum -- much more compatible with Ms office than Libre Office and runs on Linux too.

Note though - no email client - but you can always use thunderbird (supports multiple accounts and IMAP) for a passable free email client.

Free of course

The Most Compatible Free Office Suite - WPS Office

Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast