Windows 10: 365 and domains Solved

1.    26 May 2018 #1

365 and domains

Hi All

What are the advantages of adding a domain to office 365 business.

Kevin
      My ComputerSystem Spec

Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       26 May 2018 #2

Unless I'm missing something I'd think the advantage would be using Office 365/Office 2016 to create or edit web pages then upload them to a Domain, it's what I do with my Domain but using the older Expression Web instead [could be any HTML editor].
      My ComputerSystem Spec

3.    27 May 2018 #3

I can not see many articles on the process. But what I gather is, it manages e-mail. I wonder when the domain is added does it manage integration with Skype and other products of the office 365 business? Does anyone have any links to info.

Kevin
      My ComputerSystem Spec

4.    27 May 2018 #4
      My ComputersSystem Spec

Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       27 May 2018 #5

A Domain is the same process as a Web site, one thinks up a Domain Name such as BillyJoeJones then adds the extension such as .com, .us, .gov [Government], .edu [Educational], etc. There's many more available as shown on this page found by 'net Search:
    List Of International Domain Extensions: Register Domains At Affordable Prices

Once that is established and purchased then a Hosting Service is contacted, could be offered by your ISP or many available such as GoDaddy, 1and1, etc. Lots of services available.

Then one logs into the Domain to upload pages they have created or created for them. The Hosting Service can provide E-Mail service and the E-Mail address will be BillyJoeJones@mydomain.whatever, mine does. I can use an installed E-Mail Client using settings provided or simply use Online/Webmail to log in and manage the messages.

From here on I use programs to create the pages, Word could be one, have seen Publisher used [don't recommend it for slow Internet connections], presently am using Microsoft Expression Web but really liked Microsoft Office FrontPage but it doesn't work with the 64-bit version of Office. There's lots of HTML editing programs available, could even use built-in Notepad for pure text but most folks like WYSIWYG/What You See Is What You Get or also known as GUI/Graphical User Interface, a Search of the 'net for HTML Editor will list a bunch both free and paid for.

If one has a suitable computer and wants their Domain local, physically available, a Static IP address from their ISP is possible at additional cost. This is possible but all the forgoing has to be considered including the power requirements of keeping their equipment powered on/available 24/7 and closely monitored for proper functioning. A Hosting Service provides that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

6.    28 May 2018 #6

Hi there.

@KevinUK

if you have your own domain it's easy to set it up for email using any email client you like -- if you use outlook with Imap you can also see messages on phone / other devices. You don't need a web application - usually webmail type of email is the pits --slow and riddled with ads.

Typical ISP's don't normally allow you to SEND email with things like outlook when you are logged on to the public internet (i.e not logged on to home wifi but elsewhere) and require you to use some hideous web program.

If you use your own domain you can send and receive email with whatever email client you like - pretty well all domain registrations come with at least 1 free email box.

When setting up outlook though you'll need to do it via the outlook applet in (Windows) control panel as the stupid dumbed down "auto config" might not find your server and encryption options e.g ssl or whatever.

You need to set the email account up on your domain and then it all works perfectly.

As far as office integration with SKYPE is concerned - no prob --just set your account up as the email address you created on your domain - again it all works seemlessly.

As for Google or Microsoft for office integration products that's up to you -- Skype for business is definitely cheaper and for individuals of course skype is free.

Both Google and Ms integrate seamlessly with Office 2016 (probably 365 as well as they should be the same) - although it (reasonably I'd think) is easier with Skype as it's owned by Ms than Google.

Note once you've set your email up on a domain you don't need to login to the domain - just access your email account as you do for any other accounts.

Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

7.    29 May 2018 #7

Hi jimbo

Thanks for your reply, very informative. Also thanks to everyone else.

Regards
    Kevin
      My ComputerSystem Spec