Windows 10: Best practice to install Office 365 Personal on dual drive pc

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

1. Posts : 3,232
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 Build 17134.137 (Branch: RS4 Release Preview)
       04 Apr 2018 #21

DeaconFrost said: View Post
    Not likely at all, but in the event it does, whoever is managing the Exchange server would have backups. My personal account is through Office 365 and my corporate account is through our company Exchange servers...which are backed up.

The end user doesn't need to back up anything on the client side.
    It is also very unlikely a plane crash, but it still happens.

So you are saying Microsoft backups MY personal free e-mail? And it will be restored 100% after a failure? For O365 subscribers maybe but in other cases I highly doubt it. MS can not even move my OneDrive to Europe upon request (I don't understand why it ended up in Redmond in the first place and it's darn slow because of this), so I don't have my hopes up on anything regarding MS.

But yes, a mirror server solves the backup issue, but I don't have 2 Exchange servers located in 2 different places around the globe and neither does millions of other people. So only way to be absolutely sure nothing gets lost, is by doing personal backups. And Outlook is a BIG FAIL in this regard.

Sure one can do daily incremental backups of changed files, but sometimes even this is not enough nor possible, especially when it comes to Outlook inboxes.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

2.    04 Apr 2018 #22

slicendice said: View Post
    So you are saying Microsoft backups MY personal free e-mail? And it will be restored 100% after a failure? For O365 subscribers maybe but in other cases I highly doubt it.
    You're so focused on debating this that you are posting replies that don't make sense. Of course Microsoft would do this for Office 365 subscribers, but why would they do it for others, like non-subscribers?

You're missing my point in your efforts to debate me. If you use a proper mail account, you don't need to backup anything local anymore. It isn't 2004 when everyone was using POP3/IMAP for their personal e-mail.

Even if you are using an old e-mail protocol, you are simply wrong. As others have stated, Outlook was easy to backup locally, and still is. Back in those days, I had Synctoy backup my Outlook file and my wife's once a week to our NAS. It's easy, simple, and works. Always has, and I'd imagine it would still work the same. YOU don't like Outlook because YOU have problems getting it to run properly. YOUR experience is not the same as the community or the industry.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

3. Posts : 3,232
       04 Apr 2018 #23

YOU don't like Outlook because YOU have problems getting it to run properly. YOUR experience is not the same as the community or the industry.
    I am not the only one with issues regarding backups with Outlook and stability of Outlook itself. So I'm not certain which community you are referring to. Internet is full of requests for solutions regarding these issues. And most solutions refer to expensive 3rd party tools to fix the problem.

Don't get me wrong, Outlook is a great application and has features that no other mail client has. But it's the little things...

:)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

4.    04 Apr 2018 #24

Sometimes, often times, people will pay for a third party solution to do something they could have done for free. I'm sure you can pay for an app that backups up Outlook. That doesn't mean the third-party app was necessary.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

5. Posts : 3,232
       04 Apr 2018 #25

Sometimes, often times, people will pay for a third party solution to do something they could have done for free. I'm sure you can pay for an app that backups up Outlook. That doesn't mean the third-party app was necessary.
    LOL, whatever you say.

A side note (rant, feel free to skip):
    There aren't many advantages in MS Exchange ActiveSync over "OLD" IMAP protocol (which works everywhere and ActiveSync does not). Just because something is old does not mean it's bad. Even Google dropped Exchange support. What it is, it's just a heavy weight, proprietary, expensive product tied to corporate fluff with a few extra feature designed for corporate users.

Don't get me wrong. While it's nice being able to sync mail, calendars, contacts, documents and notes between all devices (that supports it) and friends, it's nowhere near an industry standard, it's a proprietary Microsoft standard that only applies to a MS married corporate world and the rest gets left out or has to pay a too steep price to join the club as clients/users but has no say in the products evolvement.

Same goes for many other heavy weight fiaskos MS want's to call industry standard when it really is only an MS standard. There are a lot of tools and protocols out there that are far better, faster and smarter than MS "standards" has ever been able to create. Finally MS seems to realize this. Most stuff is acquired from elsewhere anyways, and not originally created by MS (take Skype for instance which was a really great tool until MS ruined it completely and now keeps making it even worse. Sure, they added a few neat feature too that works really well.).

Yes it's nice that MS tools play well together in a corporate world, but then there is the rest of the world also. Not everybody is running a million dollars business, can, nor want to.

Sorry for the long rant. Admins feel free to delete this post if it offended anyone.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

6.    04 Apr 2018 #26

LOL, whatever you say.
    Prove me wrong.

As for Outlook, it is the standard business e-mail client across the world. I'm sorry, but it is. Again, prove me wrong. What mail client is used more often?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

7. Posts : 3,232
       04 Apr 2018 #27

Prove me wrong.
    Here's one infographic for starters
      My ComputersSystem Spec

8.    05 Apr 2018 #28

So aside from only considering non-corporate users, it actually still proves my point. The top desktop mail client software on the list is Outlook. We weren't discussing anything mobile related. *facepalm*

Do you want to keep trolling, or can we put this matter to bed now?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

9. Posts : 3,232
       05 Apr 2018 #29

So aside from only considering non-corporate users, it actually still proves my point. The top desktop mail client software on the list is Outlook. We weren't discussing anything mobile related. *facepalm*

Do you want to keep trolling, or can we put this matter to bed now?
    Actually that report does not prove that most e-mail on desktops are delivered through Outlook. Neither does it report how many users are using it. If you read the report carefully, it can't even tell the difference between Gmail Mobile or Desktop/Web.
    Only thing we can agree on is that if a company wants to be in control and is partnered with MS, it is very likely they will take the whole MS ecosystem. They would be fools if not, since they pay for the software anyway and they are designed to run well together. And that covers only HUGE companies. A SBO can run his business on completely free software and on a platform that knows and cares nothing about Windows nor MS.

But this does not cover the rest of the world, which use tons of different variations of applications for mail delivery. One of them would be eMClient which is used by over 30000 companies and over 1million Windows users world wide and I am one of those users and would not swap it for anything. It just simply works for all my (tens) email accounts and other features, MS, Google and other providers serve. And it can make backups of everything.

None of us can prove the real statistical truth. It's impossible.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

10.    05 Apr 2018 #30

None of us can prove the real statistical truth. It's impossible.
    But you can research the footprint of Exchange. What do people use with Exchange? Outlook. It's by far, the most common desktop e-mail client, PIM, if you want to be accurate. That footprint will only grow as more people switch to using Office 365, even in the personal arena.

Once again, as you continue to ignore fact, Outlook can be easily backed up in a non-Exchange usage as well. I'll repeat, it's a single file that can be easily backed up. Shadow Copy will also keep a "backup" as well. Common sense, basic knowledge.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast