Windows 10: Outlook 2016 latest update -- cannot set up account manually Solved

1.    3 Weeks Ago #1

Outlook 2016 latest update -- cannot set up account manually

Hi folks

I really am getting p***ed o*f with these 1-click installs or automatic config stuff

Latest update from Outlook 2016 "appears" to allow you to set up account manually - but there's no other option on the screen other than connect and then it fails even if you click set account manually.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	email.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	182594

I DON'T WANT TO D**n Well CONNECT until I've set the account up.

What's so hard of having a proper set up manually system - especially when your inbound and outbound mail servers are different !!!.

Plus the problem when you have a different user id / logon name on inbound and outbound servers.

The only way I got round this latest piece of B/S was to re-install Outlook 2010 and then upgrade --what a waste of time to something that should have taken about 5 mins.

Cheers (and irritated)

jimbo
    Last edited by jimbo45; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:28.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

2.    3 Weeks Ago #2

Hi folks

Update to this

Some people actually get to a manual settings screen after the connect fails but for some reason it didn't work for me. I'd just done a Windows clean install to fix some Network issues -- probably Windows was having a revenge attack on me because of some posts I've made saying Windows Networking has been a problem almost ever since they started Networking back with Windows 3 / 3.1 / 3.11 for workgroups many years ago !!!!!!!.

Problem is still there even for people who get past the first screen when User ID / account name / password is different on outbound and inbound mail servers.

After 20 Mins on FAST quad i7 plus 1G b/s internet still getting this on 2nd outlook account with the wretched non functioning of the manual set up. At least the program should have timed out with an error !!

Name:	email1.png 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	182597

I know the parameters / config are ok because it works fine on the Samsung smart phone where you can do a 100% manual set up. !!

The re-install of Office 2010 and update took 12 mins !! so go "Figure" !!!!.

As an old fashioned Engineer I really do believe in the adage of "The Ghost in the Machine" !!!!! Any long time experienced old School Engineer will probably agree with me here. !!

Have a good Easter everyone.

Cheers
    jimbo
    Last edited by jimbo45; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:01.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

3. Posts : 1,431
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
       3 Weeks Ago #3

I seem to remember something like this too when I set up something a few weeks ago.
    I may have gone in via Control Panel and settings for Mail; I've an idea you get different options that way?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

4.    3 Weeks Ago #4

Hi there
    @DavidY

Thanks

Rep given

What a dogs dinner of a mess but the "Old fashioned" control panel had Outlook 2016 settings as per your post and I was able to set it up without any problems doing it "properly".

Restored my "fresh" W10 installation (without outlook 2010) and did it your way after installing Office 2016 plus updates. Everything is fine --not sure though how long Control Panel is for "This World" though.

Name:	cp.png 
Size:	345.1 KB 
ID:	182622

Name:	email2.png 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	182621

Thanks again
    and a Happy easter holiday period to you -- we are free from this evening (Wed) until Tuesday !!

Marked post as solved --thanks again.

Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

5.    3 Weeks Ago #5

This morning for some reason, outlook would not recognize my password when checking one isp. I know it is correct. I had to let it do its own configuration and then it worked. I have not updated yet, but it is in progress now. Standby

After update (.2116) MS Office Professional Plus 2016, got ~unable to start Outlook because it would not open correctly" about 3 times. Now it started and got a message from Internet Explorer "Do you want to allow this website to open an app on your computer" Does not mention what the web site is , however it appears to be back to "normal"
      My ComputerSystem Spec