page numbering

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1. Posts : 10
    Windows 10

page numbering

trying to number pages in a doc. the first page number to start on the sixth age. Followed the Microsoft doc titled " start page numbering later in your document" It is refusing to number all the pages just attaches a number to page 1. Tried removing page number and tried again but still will not number beyond page 1?
    Why not? What do i need to do to make it work?
      My Computer

2. Posts : 30,173
    Windows 11 Pro x64 Version 23H2

Hi sbi33. Welcome to the TenForums @sbi33

What product are you using, sounds like Word, which year.

Not sure what year you are using, here are instructions for 2013.

Could I suggest you start a new document, make it simple a word on each page, say three pages long. Then in Word 2013, which would be like 2016, click on Insert along the top, then page number, then bottom of page. There should be page numbers on all pages. Is there?

The ribbon should change to Header Footer Tools, then click Page number and then Format page number and choose start on page 2. Did this work.?

If the above worked then there is formatting within your current doc that is restricting pages. If it didn't work then I would suggest there is something corrupt within your app.
      My Computer

3. Posts : 1,524
    Win10 Pro

Do you have any section breaks in your document? If you do then that might be why the page numbering isn't working as you expect it to.
      My Computers

4. Posts : 10
    Windows 10

Hi Both

I am using Word 2013.

Did as you suggested, created four pages. First page has 2 at bottom and increasing numbers to page four which is 5.

I have quite a few "Page Breaks," there is also a "Section Break (Next Page)" on the page before where I want the numbering to start. there are about 40 jpgs set within the body of the text.

Switched on the Show/Hide facility can see nothing unusual.

Therefore seems likely to be a formatting problem some where, how can I find that? Please.

Yes, as above, I do have a Section Breaks as I want the numbering to start on page 8.

It is a Family History book so do not want the title page, Preface, Contents etc to be numbered, Would like it to start where the story starts.

Does the page numbering facility have a limit to the number of pages that can be numbered?
      My Computer

5. Posts : 10
    Windows 10

A comment on the Formatting possibility.
    What sort or type of formatting might or could cause this problem?
      My Computer

6. Posts : 30,173

So it is likely the section breaks that SoFine identified.

Found this.

https://superuser.com/questions/7415...erent-sections
      My Computer

7. Posts : 10
    Windows 10

Removed the "section break" instruction and the page numbering worked BUT not the way I want it.

I want the first seven pages not to be numbered and page 8 to start the numbering at 1.

Read the site you mentioned and tried the various possible solutions but none worked for me.
      My Computer

8. Posts : 30,173

Then I would think you would add a section break and start numbering over.

Just tested and it worked.

I inserted section break. The for page number I clicked on Page number format and in the Start at I entered 1.
      My Computer

9. Posts : 1,524
    Win10 Pro

Worst case you could do it in two separate documents. Kind of a brute force solution but if your tired of fiddling with it then that would work.
      My Computers

10. Posts : 10
    Windows 10

I tried your suggestion SoFine but split it into three sections
    section 1 - pages not to be numbered
    section 2 - main part with mostly words
    section 3 - contains mainly jpg, pdf and some words
    was able to number OK sections 2 and 3, section 2 numbered from 1 - 110, section 3 numbered from 111 - 234
    combined sections 2 and 3, the numbering stayed as wanted.
    inserted section 1 at front of document and the numbering stated as 1 at the first page of the document not at page 8.
    I have found a company to print it for me, BookPrintingUK.com, I could send them the two files and hope that they can print it OK.
    But two files is a bit messy
      My Computer