Changing Office from 32 bit to 64 bit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 217
    windows 10
       #1

    Changing Office from 32 bit to 64 bit


    I am running the 32 bit edition of Office 2016 Pro 32 on my PC which has a 64 bit processor.
    Do I have to purchase a new (64 bit) version of Office to take advantage of my 64 bit CPU?

    Thanks in advance to all who reply,
    Dan
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 81
    10
       #2

    If you read this you will get a better understanding of what you need to do:

    How to upgrade from a 32-bit to 64-bit version of Windows 10 | Windows Central
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 3,840
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       #3

    No you do not need a new key to change the Arch of your software... the product key is for both x86 (32 Bit) and x64 (64 Bit) versions...
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 217
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    debsawyer said:
    If you read this you will get a better understanding of what you need to do:

    How to upgrade from a 32-bit to 64-bit version of Windows 10 | Windows Central
    Deb,
    Sorry that I wasn't clear, but I'm already running Win 10 Pro 64 bit - it's the Office 2016 that is running 32 bit (which I would like to change to 64 bit).
    Dan
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 217
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Kyhi said:
    No you do not need a new key to change the Arch of your software... the product key is for both x86 (32 Bit) and x64 (64 Bit) versions...
    Kyhi,
    So are you saying that I have to re-install Office or is there a more convenient way to do it?
    Dan
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 3,840
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       #6

    you have uninstall 32 bit and install 64 bit

    you can try running 64 bit installer - but feel you will get error
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 81
    10
       #7

    Yes you will have to uninstall 32bit, and install 64bit Office.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 81
    10
       #8

    The key is the same for 64 & 32 bit.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 24,461
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #9

    bromberg said:
    I am running the 32 bit edition of Office 2016 Pro 32 on my PC which has a 64 bit processor.
    Do I have to purchase a new (64 bit) version of Office to take advantage of my 64 bit CPU?
    Think carefully before choosing which version to use, there are pros and cons for each. Yes, you must uninstall the 32-bit version before installing 64-bits. More here....

    Microsoft Office said:
    Important: If you already installed the 32-bit version, but want to install the 64-bit version instead (or vice versa), you must uninstall the version you don't want before installing the version you do want. See “Office (64-bit or 32-bit) couldn’t be installed” error when trying to install....

    ...IT Professionals and developers in particular, should also review the following situations where the 32-bit version of Office is still the best choice for you or your organization...
    Choose between the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Office
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 217
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    debsawyer said:
    Yes you will have to uninstall 32bit, and install 64bit Office.
    Not surprised and not as bad as a BSoD
    Thanks!
    Dan
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums