replace MS office Home and Student 2010 with Libre office

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

1. Posts : 1,333
    10 Pro retail 1909

replace MS office Home and Student 2010 with Libre office

I don't want to lose all my information that is currently in word format.
    Do I install Libreoffice first then use add remove to remove MS to switch and keep my files?
    I do not know how to make the transition and not lose my data in my desktop and also two flash drives.
    Thank you
      My Computer

2. Posts : 13,985
    Win10 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro and Home, Win7, Linux Mint

Don't worry about it, just install LibreOffice and if prompted choose to Associate the Office/Word/Excel files with LO. Or in Control Panel or Settings locate Default Programs and re-associate as desired. Both suites can reside on the computer, at least that's the way I do it.
      My Computers

3. Posts : 1,333
    10 Pro retail 1909

Will do.I am curious as to what would happen if I remove MS; would my files remain with just Libreoffice?

I tried Google Docs but it is too confusing, for me.
      My Computer

4. Posts : 13,985

Yes, your Documents Folder should have all your files unless a different Folder was specified. Uninstalling a program usually doesn't take out the documents but it's always wise to back them up or copy to a different Folder or Drive.
      My Computers

5. Posts : 1,333
    10 Pro retail 1909

backup

Berton said:
    Yes, your Documents Folder should have all your files unless a different Folder was specified. Uninstalling a program usually doesn't take out the documents but it's always wise to back them up or copy to a different Folder or Drive.

>I have them backed up in two different flash drives and external drives. I may install Libre and uninstall MS.[add/remove]. Then I guess it will take some tinkering to make all files cross platform as in .rtf. Boy is M$ getting greedy or what? Why can't a guy just buy the product like before?
      My Computer

6. Posts : 13,985

Don't get too worried, I haven't found many MS Office documents that LO couldn't open as-is, without converting. One might have issues with some of what I call 'fancy' formatting that MS Office can do. The only real issue is LO doesn't have an E-Mail Client to replace MS Outlook but there's some free Clients to be found on the Internet if not wanting to do Webmail/Online E-Mail. One advantage for my older clients is LO can still work with the older Microsoft Works files that have their Recipes from several years in the past.
      My Computers

7. Posts : 1,333
    10 Pro retail 1909

l use the client but yes there are others.
      My Computer

8. Posts : 80
    Windows 10

Out of curiosity, why would you want to replace a working copy of Office 2010 with LO?
      My Computer

9. Posts : 1,333
    10 Pro retail 1909

MS Office Home and Student 2010

PromU said:
    Out of curiosity, why would you want to replace a working copy of Office 2010 with LO?
    >I would love to keep it but from what I have read, some support has been discontinued and some will last a couple more years.
    If I am secure for a while I will leave 2010 alone.<
      My Computer

10. Posts : 5,833
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro

maranna said:
    >I would love to keep it but from what I have read, some support has been discontinued and some will last a couple more years.
    If I am secure for a while I will leave 2010 alone.<
    Sorry, but it looks like I was wrong. Office 2010 Home and Student ended in 2012.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/search/13615
      My Computers