Windows 10: Recent Windows 10 update broke Office 2007 Solved

1.    27 Dec 2017 #1

Recent Windows 10 update broke Office 2007

One of the December 2017 updates to Windows 10 broke my Office 2007 installation. I tried using the repair mode on the CD, and I also uninstalled and reinstalled the entire suite. I attached a clip of what happens when I try to launch an Excel file.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	169830

Has anyone else had this problem?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

2. Posts : 6,858
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1709
       29 Dec 2017 #2

Hi bigblocktowncar

In searching I found a couple of articles that suggested it was not completely removed. This link has a link from Cloudman to a removal tool.
    No get fooled by all the quick fixes, scan this as you go through. You just want to download the 2007 removal tool. Note it says it is not supported by MS any more.

https://community.spiceworks.com/top...up-dll-missing

Before doing any procedure above I strongly recommend you create an Image with a tool like Macrium Reflect and have your data backed up especially if tool isn't supported.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Ken
      My ComputerSystem Spec

3.    19 Jan 2018 #3

I tried this and it doesn't seem to work. Each different office program seems to give a different osetup.dll file location. When you enable hidden folders, you can browse to the folder and the .dll is present, however, once you click the error message away, the folder disappears.

The programs still work, but the system hangs for about 2 minutes before the error messages go away. I thought maybe it was a registry problem and tried ccleaner but that didn't do anything.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

4.    19 Jan 2018 #4

Ok, it appears that whatever happened in that update, Office no longer installs correctly directly from my CD. Microsoft doesn't support Office 2007 anymore, but they still allow you to download it if you have your key. The downloaded version does work and activated just fine.

I will just save this copy on my backup drive. I'm sure if I reinstall Windows 10, the CD will be fine, but if you run into this problem, try downloading a version from Microsoft.
      My ComputerSystem Spec