Windows 10: Outlook 365 automatically adds icon into Quick Launch on boot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    21 Dec 2017 #1

Outlook 365 automatically adds icon into Quick Launch on boot

I am running Windows 10, fully up-to-date.

Whenever I start my computer, Windows adds an icon for Outlook into my Quick Launch area. Every day I delete it yet Windows adds it back in the next day,

I have heard that marking it as hidden can solve this but that has not helped me.

Admittedly it is only the work of moments to delete the icon but because I have to do this every day, it's getting old and I just want it gone permanently from my Quick launch bar.

Can anyone help please?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

2. Posts : 10,831
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Insider
       21 Dec 2017 #2

Welcome to tenforums. Try this and see if it helps.

Go to Task Manager and look in the startup tab. See if Outlook is set to start with Windows. If it is, highlight it and click disable. Restart Windows and see if the icon comes back.
    Last edited by essenbe; 21 Dec 2017 at 05:21.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

3.    21 Dec 2017 #3

essenbe said: View Post
    Welcome to tenforums. Try this and see if it helps.

Go to Task Manager and look in the startup tab. See if Outlook is set to start with Windows. If it is, highlight it and click disable. Restart Windows and see if the icon comes back.
    Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, Outlook is not set to start with Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

4. Posts : 20,169
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17083
       21 Dec 2017 #4

scootmien said: View Post
    Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, Outlook is not set to start with Windows.
    Almost the same here, Scootmien. I keep Outlook on my Quick Launch Bar and really don't need one link, but every day, I get a second icon in the QL Bar. I delete it, but it keeps coming back. I tried to figure out a way to have Outlook open with Startup, but so far, no success.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

5. Posts : 10,831
       21 Dec 2017 #5

@Scootmien, see if this will help you. Hide or Show Notification Area Icons on Taskbar in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    That is option 3. If it doesn't work, maybe one of the other options will.

@Wynona, if you want Outlook to run at startup, have you tried creating an Outlook shortcut on your Desktop. Then go to
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp copy the icon from your desktop into that folder.

You can then delete the Desktop shortcut and Outlook should appear in your Task Manager Startup tab and be enabled. It should start with Windows.

Wynona, see if it will work the same as it does with Windows Live Mail.

My ComputersSystem Spec

6.    21 Dec 2017 #6

@Scootmien, see if this will help you. Hide or Show Notification Area Icons on Taskbar in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    Hi there

This seems to be just for the Notification area, so I don't think it will help in my case as I am talking about the Quick launch bar, not the notification area. My apologies for not being clear on that. Thanks for helping though, hopefully together will get top the bottom of this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

7. Posts : 10,831
       21 Dec 2017 #7

Have you tried to right click the icon in the quick launch and select delete?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17083
       21 Dec 2017 #8

@Wynona, if you want Outlook to run at startup, have you tried creating an Outlook shortcut on your Desktop. Then go to
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp copy the icon from your desktop into that folder.

You can then delete the Desktop shortcut and Outlook should appear in your Task Manager Startup tab and be enabled. It should start with Windows.

Wynona, see if it will work the same as it does with Windows Live Mail.

Thanks, Steve, I now have Outlook in my Startup file; however, that's gonna add a lot of time to bootup. Which is OK, since I'm going to clean install 17063 tomorrow.

For some odd reason, OL is very, very slow to start.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

•    22 Dec 2017 #9

Have you tried to right click the icon in the quick launch and select delete?
    Yes, as I said in my initial post, every day I delete the icon but it still comes back upon reboot. That's basically my whole problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

•    22 Dec 2017 #10

Have you tried Settings - Personalisation - Taskbar:
    Scroll down to "Select which icons appear on the taskbar"
    Switch off Outlook
      My ComputerSystem Spec

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast