Windows 10: Office 2010 cannot open malfunction. Solved

1.    13 Dec 2017 #1

Office 2010 cannot open malfunction.

Hi everyone,I could do with some help,please.

I have always used Microsoft Office 2010, ( Outlook) to recieve my emails. It was working perfectly up and until Tuesday (yesterday). When I started it up today, it refused to open .
    It went through the normal procedure of checking add-ons then hung on the following checking process:-
    \\insight.adsrvr.org\track\conv
    I know cannot get into outlook at all.

My OS is Microsoft Windows 10 pro x 64bit

Not too long before I had recieved updates. This is worrying as i cannot get at all my stored emails.

Help! please.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

2. Posts : 6,959
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1709
       13 Dec 2017 #2

Hi Mothie.

First thing I would do, restart computer. I've had Outlook 2013 fail to start and a restart fixes. Maybe you've already done this.

Do you have restore points enabled? If so is there one just before the updates. Patch Tuesday was yesterday so a restore point from Sunday would be handy.

Failing that did you move your PST file in to your documents folder so it would be included with your backups?

If not it should be here... Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

You may have to show hidden files to see Appdata path.

When you find your PST file please make a copy in case something happens.

Outlook 2010 has several switches you can use

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dev...-outlook-2010/

I would try the /safe

Then you can work at removing what it hung on, an ad server.

These switches can cause unexpected disaster, don't just try them for trying.

You may have to create a new profile and then import you existing PST. This may cause some mail loss depending on the state when everything died, if you are using IMAP or POP (and how long you save mail on POP server.) IMAP is ideal.

Are you using IMAP or POP. When you start it and it fails to start what is recorded in event viewer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

3. Posts : 2,472
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       15 Dec 2017 #3

Do an Office 2010 repair install.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

4.    15 Dec 2017 #4

Thanks gentlemen. Sorted. MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

5. Posts : 6,959
       15 Dec 2017 #5

Hey Mothie, could you tell us what you did. May help others.

Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

6.    16 Dec 2017 #6

Office 2010 cannot open-malfunction.

This is genuinely very embarrassing Caledon Ken. I really and truly do not know the answer to that question as i tried so many permutations to get back into Microsoft Outlook 2010, including those suggested by the other members, that,I honestly do not know which one opened up outlook for me.

When it opened up I was able to reset viewing image patterns and I remember that I switched off, automatically downloading pictures located in Trust Centre, which later on,I re-switched to back ON.

What I do know is that this all came about right after a culmalative update from Windows (KB4054517) and Office update (KB40116180.
    Truly sorry that i could not give you a more definitive answer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

7. Posts : 6,959
       17 Dec 2017 #7

Thanks. Good luck.

I hope you located your PST file and place it in the path of your backup.

Take care.
      My ComputerSystem Spec