Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    1 Week Ago #1
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    California, USA
    Posts : 149
    Windows 10 Pro

    Why haven't any of my systems been upgraded to FCU?


    I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop in my LAN. They are all running Win 10 Pro 64 ver 15063.

    Windows Update is active on all my systems. So why hasn't MS updated any of them to FCU? (Or is this a Good Thing, not being updated?)
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    1 Week Ago #2
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Houston
    Posts : 2,099
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64

    Hi,
    Yep careful what you wish for
    No telling why but you can use the update assistant or media creation tool
    Either one will get you the fall creator build.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    1 Week Ago #3
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    California, USA
    Posts : 149
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
    Hi,
    Yep careful what you wish for
    No telling why but you can use the update assistant or media creation tool
    Either one will get you the fall creator build.
    Thing is, I'm not exactly eager to get the FCU. It's more like, when will MS try to force this update on me. How long can I hold out, is more what I'm asking about.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    1 Week Ago #4
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 2,091
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)

    You can defer feature updates in the Pro version and there is Group Policy fix mentioned on the forum which can give you a longer deferment.

    Feature updates are rolled out by Windows Update when MS considers the release is stable for your PC. I would wait for the FCU via Windows Update. You can force an update using the Media Creation Tool but there may be an incompatibility you are not aware of. My laptop took 6 months before it received the previous CU via Windows Update but then updated to the FCU within a day of first release.

    Note you can get the version you want using the tool at https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techno...-download-tool
    Last edited by Steve C; 1 Week Ago at 03:54.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    1 Week Ago #5
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 31
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1703

    The best is just wait for Microsoft rolls out the update via Windows Update, this will ensure Win10 FCU is compatible with your devices.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    1 Week Ago #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,374
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by matfx View Post
    The best is just wait for Microsoft rolls out the update via Windows Update, this will ensure Win10 FCU is compatible with your devices.
    I disagree completely. Waiting means that Microsoft will push the update at a random time for which the user has no chance to prepare and it absolutely is no guarantee of no problems. The user wakes up one morning and is greeted with a plain blue screen with a blinking cursor because something went wrong with the update from Windows Update, which has proven in the past to be the most unreliable method of upgrading available. Oh, and by the way, the user was getting on the computer to finish and submit their college paper that is due in a few hours. Now what does the user do?

    Contrast that experience with the user who downloads the update using the Media Creation Tool. It's a Saturday morning and they have allowed a few hours of not needing to use the computer in order to update. They create a system image backup of their current installation using Macrium Refelct free. They mount the ISO file of the update and run setup.exe. If something should happen and the upgrade fails (which is much less likely to happen because upgrading from the ISO file has proven to be the most reliable method to upgrade), now what does the user do? They boot the computer from their Macrium Reflect Rescue drive, restore their backup image, and they have lost nothing but an hour or two of time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    1 Week Ago #7
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 156
    win 10 HOME

    Yes the Commanders way is allot safer try turning on laptop in the airport and update wants to update NOW and all your rescue stuff is in checked baggage.

    just saying do it at your convenience not theirs.

    DME
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    1 Week Ago #8
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,493
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    Quote Originally Posted by x509 View Post
    I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop in my LAN. They are all running Win 10 Pro 64 ver 15063...
    Quote Originally Posted by x509 View Post
    Thing is, I'm not exactly eager to get the FCU. It's more like, when will MS try to force this update on me. How long can I hold out, is more what I'm asking about.
    In Pro you can defer feature updates. If you defer feature updates you will still get the cumulative updates for your current version. Your 15063 (1703, Creators Update) allows you to choose between 'Current Branch' and 'Current Branch for Business'. On CBB you stay one version behind the public releases, you won't get the FCU through Windows Update until the next version (1803?) is released around April next year. In addition, 1703 allows you to delay feature updates for a further (up to) 365 days. That's the limit of how long you can 'hold out' using the standard settings available in Update & Security > Advanced options.

    Is that enough for you?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    6 Days Ago #9
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Houston
    Posts : 2,099
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64

    Hi,
    If you're now on the regular creators update you can delay updates like the fall creators update for up 365 days.
    You can change that when ever you wish to and manually install it or change the settings and recheck for updates and it might show up then.

    It is different than the creators update
    No link to show you the fall creators update is ready
    It just starts to download and install no warning as stated by Navy...

    I personally would have liked to see a link to get it just like the creators update showed
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    4 Days Ago #10
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    California, USA
    Posts : 149
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I disagree completely. Waiting means that Microsoft will push the update at a random time for which the user has no chance to prepare and it absolutely is no guarantee of no problems. The user wakes up one morning and is greeted with a plain blue screen with a blinking cursor because something went wrong with the update from Windows Update, which has proven in the past to be the most unreliable method of upgrading available. Oh, and by the way, the user was getting on the computer to finish and submit their college paper that is due in a few hours. Now what does the user do?

    Contrast that experience with the user who downloads the update using the Media Creation Tool. It's a Saturday morning and they have allowed a few hours of not needing to use the computer in order to update. They create a system image backup of their current installation using Macrium Refelct free. They mount the ISO file of the update and run setup.exe. If something should happen and the upgrade fails (which is much less likely to happen because upgrading from the ISO file has proven to be the most reliable method to upgrade), now what does the user do? They boot the computer from their Macrium Reflect Rescue drive, restore their backup image, and they have lost nothing but an hour or two of time.
    I'm not disagreeing with you about MS pushing the update. I have all my systems set up to show me that updates are available, but they are not installed automatically. I wanted to wait until MS decides my homebuilt systems are deemed ready by MS, and then I would still retain the option to install at my convenience.

    Curiously my current model Lenovo T560 laptop also has not been offered the FCU update.

    I back up my systems with Retrospect Professional, which has its own rescue disk and does versioned backups across my entire LAN.

    x509
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Some people haven't seen a PC before.
Oh dear... this guy probably haven't seen what a PC looks like on the inside... 149230 Here's the full feedback. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/R3D4C2KL7GVM76/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B016CMS1IW
Chillout Room
Solved 2 Identical HP Systems Upgraded to 10, 1 Has 10 Pro, 1 Has 10 Home?
Hello. A relative of mine as well as myself have identical HP Envy 810-430QE desktop computers that were both purchased from Costco. My relative purchased their HP system towards the end of 2014, and of course they were using it with Windows...
General Support
Has anyone gotten these updates for apps, I haven't
Supposedly new dark theme for mail and calendar apps, I haven't seen it yet, what gives? http://www.winbeta.org/news/outlook-mail-calendar-apps-windows-10-updated-dark-theme-new-settings
Software and Apps
Solved why does smartscreen ask me a password ? i haven't set it
hi i tried to download a program filezilla and run it and the blue smartscreen pop up with run anyway or don't run i clicked on run anyway but it asks me a password i have never set a password and i'm the administrator why? thanks
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
I Can't Believe They Haven't Released New Build
Hi All, It looks as though Microsoft is taking their old sweet time in releasing the next preview build for us to try, I don't know about anyone else..but I'm starting to get impatient . Could it be due to the 'rumor' of Sparta going to be included...
Windows Insider
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums