how can I dual boot win10 with win7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,163
    win10 PRO on 5 PC's and Linux mint
       #1

    how can I dual boot win10 with win7


    simply, will have legal activated copies of each on the same PC in different drives.
    Right now, I have win 10, but I will have win7 on another drive.
      My Computer

  2. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 2,777
    Linux Mint 20.1 Win10Prox64
       #2

    Here's what i would do:
    1. Disconnect the drive with Windows10.
    2. Install Win 7 to the other drive. This will create the neccessary partitions to boot Windows 7 by itself.
    3. Reconnect the drive containing Windows 10 and boot up.
    4. Note that the C: drive of Windows 7 is now changed to another letter. For example E: Drive
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot E:\Windows
    6. Reboot. You'll have a dual boot menu to boot from.


    NOTE: You could also install Win 7 without disconnecting Windows 10 but IMO, this is cleaner to have Win 7 with its own boot manager in case you want to separate 7 & 10 and boot by themself.
      My Computer

  3. ThrashZone's Avatar
    Posts : 7,132
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       #3

    Hi,
    If you have room on the front of your case install one of these to make live easier
    They have a 3.5 and 2.5 hdd version
    I use the 2.5 for hdd's and of course ssd's
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      My Computers

  4. AddRAM's Avatar
    Posts : 3,926
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2
       #4

    topgundcp said:
    Here's what i would do:
    1. Disconnect the drive with Windows10.
    2. Install Win 7 to the other drive. This will create the neccessary partitions to boot Windows 7 by itself.
    3. Reconnect the drive containing Windows 10 and boot up.
    4. Note that the C: drive of Windows 7 is now changed to another letter. For example E: Drive
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot E:\Windows
    6. Reboot. You'll have a dual boot menu to boot from.


    NOTE: You could also install Win 7 without disconnecting Windows 10 but IMO, this is cleaner to have Win 7 with its own boot manager in case you want to separate 7 & 10 and boot by themself.


    Do it exactly how Topgun described. Keeping both installs separate is the BEST way to do it.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 30
    Windows 10 Pro, 8.1 Pro, 7 Ultimate
       #5

    Not sure if I need to start my own thread, but I have a related question. I managed to install Windows 7 and get it to dual boot with my already installed Windows 10. However, since I installed 7 after 10, I now get the legacy boot menu (black, DOS-style). I'd prefer the metro GUI boot menu (the blue one). Does anyone know how I can change to that boot loader?
      My Computer

  6. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,592
    Windows 10 Pro
       #6

    vfoster said:
    Does anyone know how I can change to that boot loader?
    In Windows 10, open command prompt (admin) or powershell (admin) and run:

    bcdboot C:\Windows
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 30
    Windows 10 Pro, 8.1 Pro, 7 Ultimate
       #7

    NavyLCDR said:
    In Windows 10, open command prompt (admin) or powershell (admin) and run:

    bcdboot C:\Windows
    Thank you! So simple and elegant.

    But now it's showing 5 different boot options: Win 10, CD/DVD drive, Harddrive, USB, and Win 7. I'm not sure why all the other options are listed. I'd prefer if Win 10 and 7 were the only options. Do you mind telling me what's the safest way to remove the unwanted options?
      My Computer

  8. AddRAM's Avatar
    Posts : 3,926
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2
       #8

    See if EasyBCD will work.

    EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies
      My Computers

  9. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,040
    Windows10
       #9

    vfoster said:
    Thank you! So simple and elegant.

    But now it's showing 5 different boot options: Win 10, CD/DVD drive, Harddrive, USB, and Win 7. I'm not sure why all the other options are listed. I'd prefer if Win 10 and 7 were the only options. Do you mind telling me what's the safest way to remove the unwanted options?
    Run msconfig, select boot tab, delete unwanted entries. I also click make entries permanent as that removes old entries forever.
      My Computer

  10. AddRAM's Avatar
    Posts : 3,926
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2
       #10

    Very strange that those entries would be in msconfig, maybe the command Navy gave could has something to do with that ?

    Wanted to bring that up, but thought, how could those entries get there
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:57.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums