I can't boot from any media to do the clean install

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 6,295
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #1

    I can't boot from any media to do the clean install


    I'm having problems clean installing a 64 bit version of Windows on an old PC. I have Windows 10 FCU 32 bit working on a Socket 939 motherboard with 4GB RAM. My CPU meets the Windows 10 64 bit requirements provided I do a clean install (I checked using CoreInfo). However, I can't boot from any media to do the clean install:


    1. My PC doesn't support booting from USB sticks. I tried the Plop boot manager to boot from a USB stick but that didn't work.
    2. I created a boot DVD via the Media Creation Tool which just stops with a Window logo. The DVD is fine since I can boot it on 2 other more recent PCs .
    3. Other DVDs e.g. a Reflect recovery DVD do boot fine in the old PC


    Why can't I boot from the DVD created by the Media Creation Tool on an old PC?
      My Computers

  2. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,426
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
       #2

    Hello Steve, :)

    You might see if any of the options in the tutorial below may help with booting from a USB.

    Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Installation Upgrade Tutorials
      My Computers

  3. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 6,295
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Brink said:
    Hello Steve, :)

    You might see if any of the options in the tutorial below may help with booting from a USB.

    Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Thanks. I don't have the option to boot from another device under Advanced Options and my old motherboard doesn't support booting from USB sticks. I need to boot from a DVD but the boot DVD produced by the Media Creation Tool fails for some reason. I also got the ISO file from Heidoc.net but that ISO is too big for a DVD!
      My Computers

  4. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,426
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
       #4

    You won't be able to boot from a DVD with UEFI.

    If the motherboard supports UEFI, then you'll have to enable CSM (Legacy BIOS) in your BIOS/UEFI settings to be able to boot from the DVD.
      My Computers

  5. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 6,295
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Brink said:
    You won't be able to boot from a DVD with UEFI.

    If the motherboard supports UEFI, then you'll have to enable CSM (Legacy BIOS) in your BIOS/UEFI settings to be able to boot from the DVD.
    The motherboard doesn't have UEFI - it's a 2004 Asus A8N-SLI
      My Computers

  6. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,426
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
       #6

    Hmm, in that case (if you haven't already) double check the BIOS settings to see if you have the DVD drive listed first in the boot priority order, and have the HDD you want to install Windows 10 on listed second.

    Normally, you should see the "Press any key" text at boot to be able to boot from the DVD afterwards.
      My Computers

  7. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 6,295
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Brink said:
    Hmm, in that case (if you haven't already) double check the BIOS settings to see if you have the DVD drive listed first in the boot priority order, and have the HDD you want to install Windows 10 on listed second.

    Normally, you should see the "Press any key" text at boot to be able to boot from the DVD afterwards.
    The computer is finding the right DVD drive to boot (you see the message press any key to boot from DVD). I started out last week clean installing Windows 7 from a DVD which worked and today made a Reflect rescue DVD which works. There seems to be something weird about the Windows 10 DVD produced by the Media Creation tool which prevents it booting on older PCs.

    I have the files from the USB stick or can mount the ISO file. Is there a way of making a bootable DVD from these files which would work on older non UEFI PCs?
      My Computers

  8. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,426
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
       #8

    You could try burning the ISO to a DVD using the method below if it'll fit on the DVD, and see if that may boot for you.

    Burn Disc Image from ISO or IMG file in Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
      My Computers

  9. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 6,295
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Brink said:
    You could try burning the ISO to a DVD using the method below if it'll fit on the DVD, and see if that may boot for you.

    Burn Disc Image from ISO or IMG file in Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    That's what I've been doing. I have Nero on another PC and might try burning a DVD from that.
      My Computers

  10. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,426
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
       #10

    If you haven't already, you might try with a different ISO file from below.

    Download Windows 10 ISO File Installation Upgrade Tutorials
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:15.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums