Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1.    2 Weeks Ago #31
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 28
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    But you might want to consider getting a cheap bracket for the SSD, and then two-sided tape or Velcro the bracket holding the SSD to the case. That way the tape is not applied to the SSD itself, it will be applied to the bracket.
    AddRAM said there's no need to worry about a bit of velcro tape voiding warranty (#25).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    2 Weeks Ago #32
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,394
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Foebane72 View Post
    2. Why hasn't anyone developed a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter where the SDDs can simply be slotted into place, rather than screwed in? You could fit at least two SSDs in something like that. Looks like an untapped market there, and what's more, the adapter can remain screwed in forever.
    ICY DOCK Tool-less Dual 2.5 to 3.5 HDD Drive Bay SSD Mount Adapter - EZ-Fit Lite MB290SP-B - Newegg.com
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    2 Weeks Ago #33
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 28
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter

    I stand corrected, Navy.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    2 Weeks Ago #34
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 28
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter

    I've decided to use the brackets I already have, and screw it in on both sides, but I am worried about turning the case over so that the mobo is at the top and the Nvidia card hangs down, so I can reach the other side which is recessed and is not easy when upright.

    Am I risking the mobo by having the Nvidia card hanging from it? It's clipped in on the inner side but I'm not so sure about the screws on the outer side.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    2 Weeks Ago #35
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 2,096
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)

    Quote Originally Posted by Foebane72 View Post
    I've decided to use the brackets I already have, and screw it in on both sides, but I am worried about turning the case over so that the mobo is at the top and the Nvidia card hangs down, so I can reach the other side which is recessed and is not easy when upright.

    Am I risking the mobo by having the Nvidia card hanging from it? It's clipped in on the inner side but I'm not so sure about the screws on the outer side.
    The GPU clips into the PCI socket and there should also be 1 or 2 screws fastening it to the rear frame. I don't see a problem
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    2 Weeks Ago #36
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 28
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    The GPU clips into the PCI socket and there should also be 1 or 2 screws fastening it to the rear frame. I don't see a problem
    There is a problem with the holes that those screws go into, in that no screws I try tighten at all. I think I damaged the metal rear frame a long time ago, so for all I know, the screws will just slip out, along with the card.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    2 Weeks Ago #37
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 2,096
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)

    Quote Originally Posted by Foebane72 View Post
    There is a problem with the holes that those screws go into, in that no screws I try tighten at all. I think I damaged the metal rear frame a long time ago, so for all I know, the screws will just slip out, along with the card.
    Use a nut & bolt then to secure the card!
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    2 Weeks Ago #38
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 28
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter

    I'm going to buy the SSD today, but I have a question about the Windows 10 media, as created by MediaCreationTool: how much faster is a USB version as opposed to an ISO (DVD) version? I've never tried installing an OS from USB before, so today would be a good time.

    Do I just let MediaCreationTool write the files to the USB and then boot from USB? Do I need to format the USB a specific way? Any BIOS settings?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    2 Weeks Ago #39
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 2,096
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)

    Quote Originally Posted by Foebane72 View Post
    I'm going to buy the SSD today, but I have a question about the Windows 10 media, as created by MediaCreationTool: how much faster is a USB version as opposed to an ISO (DVD) version? I've never tried installing an OS from USB before, so today would be a good time.

    Do I just let MediaCreationTool write the files to the USB and then boot from USB? Do I need to format the USB a specific way? Any BIOS settings?
    The Media Creation Tool will wipe the USB stick and copy the files to it - all you have to do is plug it in. No BIOS changes are needed but you need to use the boot override key for your PC when you boot to select the USB stick to boot from. Else see Option 1 here Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC

    Installing from a USB stick will be slightly faster overall than a DVD - note the difference in the time taken for the initial copy files stage doesn't make much difference to the overall installation time. Installation is very quick if your PC has a SSD!
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    1 Week Ago #40
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 28
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter

    I am now on Win10 Pro on an SSD, and the difference is certainly faster!

    What happens with things like Drive Defragmenter? Will it run or not?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Installing Windows 10 using SD card
Hi all, apologies if this has been asked many times before - I couldn't find anything conclusive, which leads me to believe that it's a non-starter, which I find hard to believe! I have a 32gb tablet running 64 bit windows 8.1, Intel celeron...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Installing Windows 7
This is my last attempt before I sell or throw a brick through this crappy computer. I have a copy of windows 7 on disc. I put the disc in, I sign out, I shift+restart, I boot from disc, it goes right to the login screen and I can't even load the...
Installation and Upgrade
Windows 10 installing on SSD
How do I successfully install Windows 10 on an SSD? I currently have Windows 7 however, I have purchased my own copy of Windows 10 to install. What is the correct installation method for an SSD.
Installation and Upgrade
Very much trouble installing Windows 10.
Dear users, First I tried the windows update installation. I get a C1420127 error in the preparing installation part. Details of that ^: Upgrade To Windows 10 Home Installatiedatum: ‎8/‎29/‎2015 3:29 PM
Installation and Upgrade
what keeps me from installing windows 10
I want to install windows 10 but there are new builds being released as MS develop it and I keep thinking that I won't get any new build updates sopn after and also MS said that they give 10 free to 8.1 users right? I'm thinking that they won't give...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums