Windows 10: Install on 8.1 from ISO? Solved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    29 Jul 2015 #11

    Ztruker said: View Post
    What does winver show (from a Elevated Command prompt)?
    As I said previously, it says

    Microsoft Windows
    Version 6.3 (Build 9600)
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corp.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    29 Jul 2015 #12

    Windowz10 said: View Post
    Yeah I could have assume that you did mean while inside windowz, but I wanted to be certain you didnt mean you booted to the dvd (thus it was mounted) and then had to manually trip the exe... Sorry, should have been clearer myself
    I'm a retired Windows tech (started with Win311 in 1991), but since I retired, I spend 99.99% of my time on Linux, but am trying to
    get familiar with the latest Windows as I'm kinda the default "tech support" for my neighborhood...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 57
    WinXp; Win7 Pro; Win10 Pro
       29 Jul 2015 #13

    lvdave said: View Post
    I'm a retired Windows tech (started with Win311 in 1991), but since I retired, I spend 99.99% of my time on Linux, but am trying to
    get familiar with the latest Windows as I'm kinda the default "tech support" for my neighborhood...
    Big mistake. Huge.

    No one in my area knows what I have done for a living, and I keep my family a good 5hr drive away.



    I still have the original windows install packet that Bill Gates gave 500 or so of us at a <insert-key-semi-maker-here> conference for FAEs. Figure I might be able to get Pawn Stars to buy it off me someday!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 5,007
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.138
       29 Jul 2015 #14

    lvdave said: View Post
    As I said previously, it says

    Microsoft Windows
    Version 6.3 (Build 9600)
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corp.
    When I run it under Win 10 I get:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winver.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	26682

    Note the line after the @Copyright statement. Mine says "The Windows 10 Pro operating system". What does yours say there?

    What I'm trying to find out is do you have Win 8.1, 8.1 N, Pro or Pro N?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    29 Jul 2015 #15

    Ztruker said: View Post
    When I run it under Win 10 I get:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winver.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	26682

    Note the line after the @Copyright statement. Mine says "The Windows 10 Pro operating system". What does yours say there?

    What I'm trying to find out is do you have Win 8.1, 8.1 N, Pro or Pro N?
    That says "Windows 8.1 Pro N"
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 5,007
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.138
       29 Jul 2015 #16

    Then you need to download Windows 10 Pro N. That's why it's asking for a key.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    29 Jul 2015 #17

    Hmm.. will check but I don't recall seeing an ISO for N...

    UPDATE: Sure enough, theres the N version, downloaded it and problem solved...

    Thanks all!!!

    Dave
    Last edited by lvdave; 29 Jul 2015 at 22:03.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    29 Jul 2015 #18

    lvdave said: View Post
    Hmm.. will check but I don't recall seeing an ISO for N...
    Windows 10 Pro N is one of the options for the Media Creation tool.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 5,007
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.138
       29 Jul 2015 #19

    Great going Dave. Feels good once it's installed !!!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
Hi Using only the Microsoft utilities, how do I convert the install.wim to install.esd file? Thanks Bye
Hi there On install on an HP envy laptop I got the "Just a Moment" Logo at the final stage just going on forever. After about 15 mins I thought well I'll try again. I couldn't even POWER OFF the laptop. I had to open it up and remove the battery...
Solved problem, ignore. I'm using Windows 10 Build 10041. First of all, Windows wouldn't update to the newest build. This never got fixed so I tried installing the newest Windows 10 ISO, using Rufus to make it bootable. So I went into Settings...
I have W10 Eng 32 bit and latest VMPlayer. I tried installling as W8. It works but vmware tools are messed up. I have other vms with tools already installed. It seems to detect them after I get W10 desktop. Also it never asks me for the product...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:59.
Find Us