1.    3 Weeks Ago #1
    Join Date : Oct 2017
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro

    Upgraded from W7 Pro, and got W10 Home...


    Hi all,

    Done a fair bit of searching and my problem seems to be fairly unique. Long story short, I had W10 Home installed, formatted and installed an unused copy of W7 Pro, used the W10 Upgrade Assistant to upgrade to W10 again expecting to then have W10 Pro, but it still says I have W10 Home. What gives?

    I bought my current laptop about a year ago, and it came with W10 Home pre-installed. This week I came across an unused licence for W7 Pro, and thought I would use it to upgrade my W10 Home installation to Pro. On my previous laptop I had W7 Pro, which then upgraded to W10 Pro.

    Just using the key to upgrade didn't work, as the key is OEM. I formatted the laptop and installed W7 Pro on it, and registered it online. I had to turn UEFI off to get W7 to install. I then downloaded the MS Upgrade Assistant through the assistive technologies upgrade program. I left the installation process overnight, and woke up to an error. Clicked 'try again' and W10 installed. I signed into my MS account during the install process. I know that account was linked to my W10 Home licence. Now, when I look at the laptop specs it still says I have W10 Home. I tried turning UEFI on in the BIOS, but then the laptop says it can't find any of the boot devices. I now need to have it turned off to boot W10 Home.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    3 Weeks Ago #2
    Join Date : Oct 2017
    Nottingham, England
    Posts : 90
    Windows 10 Pro

    As windows is activated using a digital licence, its more than likely reactivated the current licence windows holds for the unit. Only way to change this is to upgrade the Home to Pro using a product pal.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    3 Weeks Ago #3
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,920
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalSaffer View Post
    Hi all,

    Done a fair bit of searching and my problem seems to be fairly unique. Long story short, I had W10 Home installed, formatted and installed an unused copy of W7 Pro, used the W10 Upgrade Assistant to upgrade to W10 again expecting to then have W10 Pro, but it still says I have W10 Home. What gives?

    I bought my current laptop about a year ago, and it came with W10 Home pre-installed. This week I came across an unused licence for W7 Pro, and thought I would use it to upgrade my W10 Home installation to Pro. On my previous laptop I had W7 Pro, which then upgraded to W10 Pro.

    Just using the key to upgrade didn't work, as the key is OEM. I formatted the laptop and installed W7 Pro on it, and registered it online. I had to turn UEFI off to get W7 to install. I then downloaded the MS Upgrade Assistant through the assistive technologies upgrade program. I left the installation process overnight, and woke up to an error. Clicked 'try again' and W10 installed. I signed into my MS account during the install process. I know that account was linked to my W10 Home licence. Now, when I look at the laptop specs it still says I have W10 Home. I tried turning UEFI on in the BIOS, but then the laptop says it can't find any of the boot devices. I now need to have it turned off to boot W10 Home.
    Ok - you need to do this.

    In activation menu, enter this key (Change Your Product key)

    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

    This forces the Home to upgrade to PRO.

    Then enter your Windows 7 Pro key to activate it.



    PS: Something cannot be "fairly unique" - that is like being partially pregnant .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    3 Weeks Ago #4
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,920
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by kingtez1984 View Post
    As windows is activated using a digital licence, its more than likely reactivated the current licence windows holds for the unit. Only way to change this is to upgrade the Home to Pro using a product pal.
    This is not correct. The installer glitched and reset pc based on the embedded bios key, so reset to Windows 10.

    See my other post for the solution.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    3 Weeks Ago #5
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,381
    Windows 10 Pro

    And hope the Windows 7 Pro product key is not blocked from online activation. If it is, it will not activate Windows 10 and you have to go back to Windows 7 Pro, activate it, and do a proper upgrade to Windows 10.

    Something was done incorrectly during the first upgrade because a proper upgrade of Windows 7 Pro will never go back down to Home version. Without messing around in the registry, going from Pro to Home requires a clean install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    3 Weeks Ago #6
    Join Date : Oct 2017
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    OK thanks all, I will try that this afternoon. Does UEFI being enabled or disabled make a difference? Also, my USB was formatted to NTFS and not Fat32. Would that cause an issue?

    Installing is quick, so it's no problem to reinstall 7 Pro and go up again.

    UPDATE: OK, I now have W10 Pro licensed and activated! Thank you very much.

    I want to now do a fresh install so I'll try the media creation tool and turn UEFI back on.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    3 Weeks Ago #7
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,920
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalSaffer View Post
    OK thanks all, I will try that this afternoon. Does UEFI being enabled or disabled make a difference? Also, my USB was formatted to NTFS and not Fat32. Would that cause an issue?

    Installing is quick, so it's no problem to reinstall 7 Pro and go up again.

    UPDATE: OK, I now have W10 Pro licensed and activated! Thank you very much.

    I want to now do a fresh install so I'll try the media creation tool and turn UEFI back on.
    You will have to delete all partitions to do this.

    If it complains about drive not being GPT, start install again and at very first screen, press shift+f10 to get to command prompt, then type

    diskpart

    list disk

    select disk n (normally 0)

    clean (be sure you selected right disk)

    convert GPT

    exit

    exit

    and carry on installation. You just skip key entry this time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    3 Weeks Ago #8
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,381
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalSaffer View Post
    OK thanks all, I will try that this afternoon. Does UEFI being enabled or disabled make a difference? Also, my USB was formatted to NTFS and not Fat32. Would that cause an issue?

    Installing is quick, so it's no problem to reinstall 7 Pro and go up again.

    UPDATE: OK, I now have W10 Pro licensed and activated! Thank you very much.

    I want to now do a fresh install so I'll try the media creation tool and turn UEFI back on.
    Glad to hear it worked for you! The USB flash drive needs to be FAT32 formatted to boot on most UEFI computers. If you let Microsoft's Media Creation Tool make the flash drive for you, it will format it as FAT32.

    Also note, if the computer has a product key stored in UEFI firmware for Windows 10 (or 8/8.1) Home - that is what a clean install will automatically install. You can override it with a PID.txt file in the sources folder with the Windows 10 Pro generic product key provided in an earlier post - or you can just upgrade the Home installation to Pro by changing the product key again.

    pid.txt:

    [PID]
    Value=VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    3 Weeks Ago #9
    Join Date : Oct 2017
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Glad to hear it worked for you! The USB flash drive needs to be FAT32 formatted to boot on most UEFI computers. If you let Microsoft's Media Creation Tool make the flash drive for you, it will format it as FAT32.

    Also note, if the computer has a product key stored in UEFI firmware for Windows 10 (or 8/8.1) Home - that is what a clean install will automatically install. You can override it with a PID.txt file in the sources folder with the Windows 10 Pro generic product key provided in an earlier post - or you can just upgrade the Home installation to Pro by changing the product key again.

    pid.txt:

    [PID]
    Value=VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    Thank you for the info! Everything seems to be running smoothly now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home, can't go back?
Hi, earlier on today I read an article saying how you can update your Windows to Professional edition for free. I entered the key they provided and it did upgrade me to Pro. However, my windows now says I need to activate Windows. I obviously...
Windows Updates and Activation
How to Fix Event ID 10016 Windows 10 Pro Upgraded from Home
The event information is Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM Date: 12/22/2015 7:19:48 PM Event ID: 10016 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: SYSTEM...
General Support
Solved 2 Identical HP Systems Upgraded to 10, 1 Has 10 Pro, 1 Has 10 Home?
Hello. A relative of mine as well as myself have identical HP Envy 810-430QE desktop computers that were both purchased from Costco. My relative purchased their HP system towards the end of 2014, and of course they were using it with Windows...
General Support
Solved Install Win 7 Pro on Win 8.1 PC already upgraded to Win 10 Home
Hello Guys, On my laptop, I had Windows 8.1 Base/ Home pre installed. Then I updated the laptop to Windows 10 Home successfully. If I can now somehow buy a Windows 7 Pro license and install W7 Pro on this laptop and then upgrade it to W10. Will...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Multiple Devices upgraded to Win 10 Home with same MS account
Hello Guys, I have upgraded 3 devices from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (Home) Device Default OS Upgraded to
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:03.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums