Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    28 Sep 2017 #1
    Join Date : Sep 2017
    Posts : 5
    windows 10

    Booting from cloned SSD, removal of old installation


    Hi all,

    I'm in a bit of a situation of my own causing here. I had a lot of trouble opening up my new laptop to install an nvme drive (HP among others has begun using locktite like solutions to render maintenance and repair of devices difficult), so I installed the nvme (the original boot drive was a 7200 rpm hdd), and used samsungs data migration tool to clone the drive. And put the machine together again.

    I can boot from the SSD after using bcdedit, but it gives me an OS choice that I would like to remove at bootup and remove the windows install from the hdd without removing or disconnecting the drive.

    The crux of my issue is that I seek a solution that does not require the removal of the laptops backplate again to disconnect the drive. The cloned drive is working perfectly.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    28 Sep 2017 #2
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,841
    Windows10

    Post image of disk partitions from disk management. I fear the boot files are on hdd.

    If so, we will need to move them to the ssd before wiping hdd or else pc will not boot.

    There is no need to remove drives - problem is easily sorted, but we need to check your disk partitions first to do it in right order.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    28 Sep 2017 #3
    Join Date : Sep 2017
    Posts : 5
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    Post image of disk partitions from disk management. I fear the boot files are on hdd.

    If so, we will need to move them to the ssd before wiping hdd or else pc will not boot.

    There is no need to remove drives - problem is easily sorted, but we need to check your disk partitions first to do it in right order.
    Here is the setup:

    the 230gb drive is the SSD.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drive structure.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	155363
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    28 Sep 2017 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,142
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    1. Win+R
    2. Type: msconfig, click on "Boot" tab
    3. You'd see 2 entries. Click to hilite the one you want to delete then click "Delete"
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    29 Sep 2017 #5
    Join Date : Sep 2017
    Posts : 5
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    1. Win+R
    2. Type: msconfig, click on "Boot" tab
    3. You'd see 2 entries. Click to hilite the one you want to delete then click "Delete"
    Much thanks! It solved the problem instantly.

    Any idea what would be the ideal way to clean the 1tb drive ? I tried diskpart clean command but it did not allow me to perform that action on a drive with windows files and efi partition etc on it. Boot from a live linux usb and do it?

    +rep
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    29 Sep 2017 #6
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    New Jersey
    Posts : 1,385
    Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64

    Install Partition Wizard, it`ll do it.

    Have you made certain the ssd boots on it`s own yet ?

    It does look ok, but I would not format the hard drive until you know the ssd boots on its own.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    29 Sep 2017 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 9,442
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint

    Quote Originally Posted by jfp555 View Post
    Much thanks! It solved the problem instantly.

    Any idea what would be the ideal way to clean the 1tb drive ? I tried diskpart clean command but it did not allow me to perform that action on a drive with windows files and efi partition etc on it. Boot from a live linux usb and do it?

    +rep
    You should be able to do it from the recovery environment. Boot to the recovery options, use command prompt. I would disconnect the disk you want to keep, drive letters are different in recovery.

    Or you could go just like you were doing a clean install and use the advanced options and delete each partition.

    It can also be done from a Bootable rescue disk.

    As @AddRAM said, Partition Wizard can do it as well.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    29 Sep 2017 #8
    Join Date : Sep 2017
    Posts : 5
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
    Install Partition Wizard, it`ll do it.

    Have you made certain the ssd boots on it`s own yet ?

    It does look ok, but I would not format the hard drive until you know the ssd boots on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
    You should be able to do it from the recovery environment. Boot to the recovery options, use command prompt. I would disconnect the disk you want to keep, drive letters are different in recovery.

    Or you could go just like you were doing a clean install and use the advanced options and delete each partition.

    It can also be done from a Bootable rescue disk.

    As @AddRAM said, Partition Wizard can do it as well.
    Much thanks for the helpful advice.

    After the failed diskpart, the 1tb drive refused to show up in the file manager.

    Fortunately I had installed Lubuntu on a USB. I booted from that, and deleted all partitions on the 1tb drive except the recovery one.

    After booting into windows again, I used dskmgmt.exe to reformat the empty space into a NTFS partition. The Recovery partition I left alone, but I cannot see the recovery partition in windows explorer. Although its not a problem at the moment, I would still like to know how to access it should something go south.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	disk 02.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	155588Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file manager.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	155589
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    29 Sep 2017 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 9,442
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint

    I believe That is the OEM Recovery partition to recover what was originally installed on your Laptop. I would think you wouldn't need it.

    You could use Macrium Reflect to create an image on an external drive that could be restored if needed. You can't see it because it has no drive letter and was designed that way.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    29 Sep 2017 #10
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    New Jersey
    Posts : 1,385
    Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64

    The Recovery partition would be used at 1st boot (there's a function key to start it, the screen would show you) or from within windows.

    If you make an image as Steve has suggested, you will never need it.

    If you don't have an external you can store an image on the 1TB drive, it`s better than not having an image at all.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Booting sysprep cloned image to spinning dots
hi. So I have imaged a Windows 10 HE that I have sysprep /generalize to OOBE on virtualbox. And written back that image (YES disk image not vm disk, don't ask me how) to my HP Stream 10 netbook. After fixing issue with the boot process, it...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Windows 10 Blue Screen while booting installation
Hi, I've just bought new Asus R540LJ with SSD inside. I'm trying to install Windows 10 but I get blue screen just after it boots I supose. Nothing happens, just loading and blue screen. Tried with pendrive usb 3/dvd. Win 8.1 and Win 10. Is...
Installation and Upgrade
Windows 10 Installation Crashing and rebooting while booting from USB
I built a new desktop and i'm trying to install windows 10 on it. I can get into the bios fine and all my components are showing up. I set my initial boot device as the USB and then reboot my PC to start the installation process. The windows logo...
General Support
Solved Windows 10 Installation keeps booting from USB after clean install
I got a HP Notebook yesterday that had Windows 8.1 on it. Today I decided I wanted to reinstall Windows 10 (not upgrade, but clean install) on it and I do have experience in reinstalling operating systems. I reinstalled Windows 10 from a USB stick...
Installation and Upgrade
Curious Problem Booting from Windows 10 Installation USB?
I've just created a Windows 10 installation USB using the Media Creation Tool. I then booted it on my Windows 8.1 Pro desktop PC just to check the USB stick would boot. It booted to the first installation Windows 10 installation window as...
Performance & Maintenance
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:14.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums