Windows 10: Pre installed software vs Bloatware

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    15 Sep 2017 #1

    Pre installed software vs Bloatware


    Hi , I have just bought new HP Elitebook x360 1030 G2 , it comes with 1607 windows 10 build , I noticed alot of HP software apps are pre-installed about 15 application ( for security purpose , jump start , remote control , Hot keys ,,,, )
    and I have read about windows 10 pro Signature edition that it;s free off Bloatware and faster and more productive my questions are :

    My laptop is i7 7600 U , Ram 16 GB DDR4 , Will these Bloatware affect its velocity and performance ?
    and How Can I make Clean windows installation without missing any of drivers and needed application to operate my system properly ( I mean Multi gestures work , Function keys , Finger print , Light sensor .... )

    last , I have made Image recovery on external USB drive using HP Image REcovery creator program , If I made clean installation for the Windows , Am I still able to restore the Factory Image ?


    Thank you !
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    16 Sep 2017 #2

    Hi,
    1. If you do a clean install, you will be free of bloatware, of course, and the normal drivers required provided by MS. But, the iso you would download will be the Creator's Build (1703) unless you specifically download an Anniversary build.
    2. If you clean install you can then get whatever HP utilities you want from their site- provided they are compatible with the CU. Go and have a look at what's there.
    3. If you clean install (with the Creator's build, say) provided you keep the manufacturer's recovery partition (= Anniversary build- 1607- + HP utilities and any trial ware) that will still be there. But how useful would it then be?

    Note: disk imaging- we recommend Macrium Reflect (free) - to be used routinely. So many advantages of disk imaging. Of course there are other programs too- the most important thing is to use one and potentially save yourself a lot of pain.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    16 Sep 2017 #3

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi,
    1. If you do a clean install, you will be free of bloatware, of course, and the normal drivers required provided by MS. But, the iso you would download will be the Creator's Build (1703) unless you specifically download an Anniversary build.
    2. If you clean install you can then get whatever HP utilities you want from their site- provided they are compatible with the CU. Go and have a look at what's there.
    3. If you clean install (with the Creator's build, say) provided you keep the manufacturer's recovery partition (= Anniversary build- 1607- + HP utilities and any trial ware) that will still be there. But how useful would it then be?

    Note: disk imaging- we recommend Macrium Reflect (free) - to be used routinely. So many advantages of disk imaging. Of course there are other programs too- the most important thing is to use one and potentially save yourself a lot of pain.
    thank you , but I really don;t understand how to use macrium , it has many options , what is the difference between secure image and disk image ? I mean with Macrium free Can I make bootable image usb drive when my system goes wrong I just put my usb drive and start installing this image ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    16 Sep 2017 #4

    1. You can run Macrium as a normal program
    2. You can create a bootable disk from that program to boot to Macrium if your PC is unbootable.
    (Other Tasks, Create)
    The boot disk also offers a very useful 'Fix Boot' utility.

    3. I don't know what a secure image is.
    4.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	153581
    Option Windows Backup takes you to a window where all partitions for Windows are pre-selected. Then you start creating your base image. (Assuming you've plugged in a big enough USB drive e.g.).

    Image sets with the free option are made up of
    base image (larger, slower)
    then each time thereafter you can create a
    differential image (smaller, faster) representing the changes from the base image.

    5. To restore an image you thus need the base image, or the base image + 1 differential image.
    6. Images can be mounted and appear as a drive so you can copy files and folders from them

    There are plenty of videos on youtube to watch: do some research, read the help file:
    Macrium Reflect v6 User Guide - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

    Tutorial:
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials

    Video:
    Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members Solved - Page 69 - Windows 10 Forums

    If it's too complicated for you try Aomei Backupper. Simpler GUI, not quite as good in some respects.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Sep 2017 #5

    omaer97 said: View Post
    last , I have made Image recovery on external USB drive using HP Image REcovery creator program , If I made clean installation for the Windows , Am I still able to restore the Factory Image ?


    Thank you !
    The answer to that question should be yes. I say should be, because that is one purpose of creating the recovery flash drive with HP's software - it should have the capability to completely reformat the HDD or SSD and restore a factory fresh software load.

    When I get a new computer, before I do a Microsoft vanilla (clean) install of Windows 10, I export the drivers from the computer onto the USB flash drive. In command prompt (admin) or powershell (admin) the command is:

    dism /online /export-driver /destination:F:\Drivers

    Change the path in red to a folder on an external storage device you have created to hold the drivers. But - this will only export the drivers for the hardware devices - not any utility software such as for hot keys.

    There is also this option that is supposed to get you to a vanilla Windows 10 state, and will leave your hardware drivers installed:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	153611
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    16 Sep 2017 #6

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    The answer to that question should be yes. I say should be, because that is one purpose of creating the recovery flash drive with HP's software - it should have the capability to completely reformat the HDD or SSD and restore a factory fresh software load.

    When I get a new computer, before I do a Microsoft vanilla (clean) install of Windows 10, I export the drivers from the computer onto the USB flash drive. In command prompt (admin) or powershell (admin) the command is:

    dism /online /export-driver /destination:F:\Drivers

    Change the path in red to a folder on an external storage device you have created to hold the drivers. But - this will only export the drivers for the hardware devices - not any utility software such as for hot keys.

    There is also this option that is supposed to get you to a vanilla Windows 10 state, and will leave your hardware drivers installed:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	153611
    I have exported all drivers using the command to an external usb drive , but how can I install these drivers after making clean windows install ? and Should these drivers be installed once I install windows 10 ? Automatically without need for this usb ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    16 Sep 2017 #7

    omaer97 said: View Post
    I have exported all drivers using the command to an external usb drive , but how can I install these drivers after making clean windows install ? and Should these drivers be installed once I install windows 10 ? Automatically without need for this usb ?
    Rule of thumb:

    Let the Windows installation and update process install whatever drivers it wants.

    Use the PC in your normal manner for days/weeks. If something doesn't operate to your satisfaction, consider Plan B, which might include other drivers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    16 Sep 2017 #8

    ignatzatsonic said: View Post
    Rule of thumb:

    Let the Windows installation and update process install whatever drivers it wants.

    Use the PC in your normal manner for days/weeks. If something doesn't operate to your satisfaction, consider Plan B, which might include other drivers.
    Would you recommend making clean windows install 1703 build or continue with my pre-installed factory windows 10 with the pre-installed software ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    16 Sep 2017 #9

    omaer97 said: View Post
    Would you recommend making clean windows install 1703 build or continue with my pre-installed factory windows 10 with the pre-installed software ?
    Geeks, like most of us here, would tell you to clean install.

    Mostly because we are geeks and enjoy (??) fiddling with these infernal machines. Not because of any significant improvement in performance or a better experience somehow.

    If you are happy with the current state of affairs and have no big issues, why bother with a clean install? Maybe you like some of that stuff HP included. You might not notice the difference if you did do a clean install--just that you would probably have more drive space and less clutter--but so what?? Are you cramped for space? Are you bored? Do you wanna clean install just for the experience and the knowledge you might gain? Mebbe you are part Geek?

    I would certainly get myself in a position where I COULD do a clean install if I wanted to--downloading the ISO, getting it onto a bootable USB drive, confirming that thing will at least boot your PC as if you were going to do a clean install.

    It's a personal decision.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 587
    Windows 10
       16 Sep 2017 #10

    This is all vastly over complex to no purpose.
    The bloatware won't affect your performance on that machine.

    I would just consider each bit of bloatware, pre-installed application, and maybe uninstall it.

    Keep all your drivers intact and things like function key application etc which you have mentioned.

    That's all that needs doing. Keeps your laptop working with minimal effort.

    The HP recovery creator just makes a copy of your recovery partition on external media. You can restore the Laptop to the original bought condition with that should you need to replace an HDD or something. Stash that away somewhere.

    By all means know how to use something like Macrium for an image, but that is something separate to move on to later.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Currently Win 10 Pro with all updates as of today. If I install Windows 10 Creators Update I know that i have the option to keep Files and Apps, but will I need to re-install all my programs/software ? If its going to delete them then its a...
Bloatware in Software and Apps
I finally received my Dell Laptop. It came with little bloatware and I am very surprised with it. So far it works flawless. However, the bloatware that it did come with, I would like to know if I should remove it. The following is the list of...
Hello, After a recent nearly catastrophic computer mishap, I had to reinstall W10 Pro and restore my system. I was cleaning out Seagate Dashboard Software and while looking in my APPDATA Roaming I found a NERO folder with what looks like Nero...
Hello, new to these forums but been reading for troubleshooting from a long time ago since I installed windows 10. A week ago, the Photos Background Task Host was giving me some high CPU usage and decided to uninstall the Windows App to save me the...
I just installed Window 10 build 9879 on my Win 8.1 laptop. Things seemed to go well except that the programs in Program Files (X86) and Program Files in the 8.1 folders did not appear in their 9879 folders. Missing were all of Office 2010...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27.
Find Us