1.    28 Jul 2015 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 7

    Stuck on Build 9926, can't upgrade


    Been using Windows 10 Tech Preview on and off since it first came out last year. Have been busy lately so haven't been able to keep up to date with updates.

    Want to upgrade to Build 10240 but Windows Updates isn't detecting there is a new build available. Have Microsoft stopped updates in readiness for the July 29 release?

    Thanks in advance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    28 Jul 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter

    Also, not sure if related but there was one update that failed (Silverlight from memory) and am now getting a "There were some problems installing updates..." error with a code (0x8024a10c).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    28 Jul 2015 #3
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,662
    Win 10 Pro x64

    9926 has expired last April. You need to get the later builds (10030 and up) to get updates.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    28 Jul 2015 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    9926 has expired last April. You need to get the later builds (10030 and up) to get updates.
    But how do I get them though? If a build expires does that mean you can't update to another one?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    28 Jul 2015 #5
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,662
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Candlelight View Post
    But how do I get them though? If a build expires does that mean you can't update to another one?










    Unfortunately preview upgrades are put on hold to give way to the offiicial release starting tomorrow. You can download build 10240 ISO from 3rd party sites and do a clean install but you won't be able to activate it at this point. You can but it takes a lot of patience. Dig up the 10240 activation discussion here.

    Edit.
    You can keep trying if online upgrade will work. That's what I did recently but it takes a lot of patience. Upgrades don't come immediately lately.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    28 Jul 2015 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    Unfortunately preview upgrades are put on hold to give way to the offiicial release starting tomorrow. You can download build 10240 ISO from 3rd party sites and do a clean install but you won't be able to activate it at this point. You can but it takes a lot of patience. Dig up the 10240 activation discussion here.

    Edit.
    You can keep trying if online upgrade will work. That's what I did recently but it takes a lot of patience. Upgrades don't come immediately lately.
    Thanks for the help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    28 Jul 2015 #7
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    California
    Posts : 362
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    I had two laptops stuck on 10162. I had a desktop that did upgrade to 10240, so I made a DVD from the .esd file on that desktop.

    Then I put the DVD into each laptop and ran an upgrade by running Setup.exe from the DVD drive on each laptop. I didn't boot from the DVD, just ran Setup.exe. Now each laptop (in about 1 hour) is upgraded to 10240, and still activated. I did this today (28 July).

    If you can get a 10240 ISO and make a DVD or USB from it, you should be able to manually upgrade to 10240.
    Last edited by Antilope; 28 Jul 2015 at 21:58.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    28 Jul 2015 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Antilope View Post
    I had two laptops stuck on 10162. I had a desktop that did upgrade to 10240, so I made a DVD from the .esd file on that desktop.

    Then I put the DVD into each laptop and ran an upgrade by running Setup.exe from the DVD drive on each laptop. I didn't boot from the DVD, just ran Setup.exe. Now each laptop (in about 1 hour) is upgraded to 10240, and still activated. I did this today (28 July).

    If you can get a 10240 ISO and make a DVD or USB from it, you should be able to manually upgrade to 10240.
    I'm sourcing one now. Thanks for the tip.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Build 10162 download stuck at 0%
Title says it all, have not had issues with any previous builds; anyone else run into this or have a fix?
Installation and Upgrade
Anyone here stuck at 9926 ?
Like my eM350? What did you do to upgrade to the newer builds?
General Support
Solved Stuck on build 9841
Just installed last night, and seem to be stuck on the old build. Anyone have any ideas? No windows updates available either. 10023 I'm wondering if this is related. I saw several places mentioning fbl_release, but that fbl_awesome would...
Installation and Upgrade
Upgrade to 9926 - NO prompt for Ms account (finally) !!
Hi there Good news for people who go the Upgrade route to 9926 and who use a LOCAL account. You don't get prompted at all to set up / use an Ms account and you don't have to disconnect from the Internet to avoid the set up as in previous...
General Support
OneDrive re-downloads everything after upgrade to 9926
If anyone has upgraded to 9879 to 9926 did your OneDrive work? I had to download everything again as "A file with the same name exists, if they are the same please delete the version on your computer" error was shown. So I did. Is there any...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:43.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums