Which OS should I install first dual boot Win10/Win7

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. ntd252's Avatar
    Posts : 61
    Windows 7 / Windows 10 / Kubuntu 18.10
       #1

    Which OS should I install first dual boot Win10/Win7


    I'm planning to install Windows 7 and Windows 10 dual-boot on my laptop. I have deleted all partition and now my HDD is all unallocated. Now I wonder which OS should I install first. As you know, System reserved of Windows 10 is about 300MB and Windows 7 is just 100 MB, so I don't know how Win 10 uses that partition if I install Win 7 first. I also see on tenforums the thread about Dual Boot Windows 10 and Windows 7, with Win 7 first. So which is better, Win 10 first or Win 7 first?I also post this thread on sevenforums Which OS should I install first dual boot Win10/Win7 - Windows 7 Help Forums
    sorry if it's duplicated, just want to get more advice.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 5,834
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #2

    ntd252 said:
    I'm planning to install Windows 7 and Windows 10 dual-boot on my laptop. I have deleted all partition and now my HDD is all unallocated. Now I wonder which OS should I install first. As you know, System reserved of Windows 10 is about 300MB and Windows 7 is just 100 MB, so I don't know how Win 10 uses that partition if I install Win 7 first. I also see on tenforums the thread about Dual Boot Windows 10 and Windows 7, with Win 7 first. So which is better, Win 10 first or Win 7 first?I also post this thread on sevenforums Which OS should I install first dual boot Win10/Win7 - Windows 7 Help Forums
    sorry if it's duplicated, just want to get more advice.
    Hi there. I started dual booting when on 7 then loaded 8 previews, which went well. Then onto 8.1 duel booting with 10 Insider previews that also went well.

    I think the first thing to consider and ask is it a UEFI system?
      My Computers

  3. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,584
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #3

    HippsieGypsie said:
    Hi there. I started dual booting when on 7 then loaded 8 previews, which went well. Then onto 8.1 duel booting with 10 Insider previews that also went well.

    I think the first thing to consider and ask is it a UEFI system?
    Ditto. Also, when installing 2 or more versions of Windows the conventional wisdom was to always install the oldest version first followed by each succeeding newer version. Haven't done it with Win10 so things may have changed with the boot loader.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 5,834
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #4

    Berton said:
    Ditto. Also, when installing 2 or more versions of Windows the conventional wisdom was to always install the oldest version first followed by each succeeding newer version. Haven't done it with Win10 so things may have changed with the boot loader.
    Agree because 10 will set up a more modern boot loader and screen. Here's one of 8 and 7 just as 10 and 7 would be.


    Attachment 148493
      My Computers

  5. ntd252's Avatar
    Posts : 61
    Windows 7 / Windows 10 / Kubuntu 18.10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Thanks for all your replies. My laptop doesn't have secure boot on BIOS, only legacy as default because it's a 2012 model. I just wonder which OS I should install first.
    Here I have Win 10 first https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-bd507273a57d
    and here win 7 first : Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

    Both win 7 or win 10 first is the same idea and I got it.I just think about the System reserved partition. Will win 10 work totally correctly with 100 MB System reserved? is there one better or the same?
      My Computer

  6. AddRAM's Avatar
    Posts : 3,861
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2
       #6

    W10 will boot fine with the 100 MB SR partition that is created when you install W7.

    As long as there is at least 1 Active partition, that`s all that matters with a Legacy MBR install.
      My Computers

  7. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,018
    Windows10
       #7

    ntd252 said:
    Thanks for all your replies. My laptop doesn't have secure boot on BIOS, only legacy as default because it's a 2012 model. I just wonder which OS I should install first.
    Here I have Win 10 first https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-bd507273a57d
    and here win 7 first : Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

    Both win 7 or win 10 first is the same idea and I got it.I just think about the System reserved partition. Will win 10 work totally correctly with 100 MB System reserved? is there one better or the same?
    Install 7 then 10 is best as others say. However, it will work other way round but you end up with old style text boot menus. You can change back but more hassle.

    Actually, the biggest issue is you can only have four primary partitions in legacy bios install (if installing both on same drive) which leaves very little flexibility with dual boot, leaving only one spare partition (assuming you delete msr and recovery partitions).

    IMO a better way is to install at least one version of Windows in a virtual hard drive. Then you only need to use two primary partitions.
      My Computer

  8. AddRAM's Avatar
    Posts : 3,861
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2
       #8

    You wouldn't need more than 3 Primaries anyway, any others could be Logical.

    In fact, I'm thinking even W10 could be installed on a Logical partition in this particular case.
      My Computers

  9. ntd252's Avatar
    Posts : 61
    Windows 7 / Windows 10 / Kubuntu 18.10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Thank you for your replies!
    Yeah I'm going to install just Win 10 and 7 so I think 3 primary is enough, including system reserved. I use both OS for my work so I want to use full hardware performance then virtual machine is just for testing something.

    Another question is should I put my documents on windows partition? I see some people set up their windows partition about 80 GB and some just 40 GB. Is Putting documents on C more secure, does is slow down computer (because I think documents changing quite often that can cause more defragment) ?
      My Computer

  10. AddRAM's Avatar
    Posts : 3,861
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2
       #10

    No it won't slow anything down. But having a 5400 RPM hard drive in a laptop is a speed killer anyway. You need a ssd :)

    How big is the drive in this laptop.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums