Windows 10: SKU / Part Number for Windows 10 Professional 32/64 bit FPP (DVD) Solved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    5 Days Ago #11

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    It's likely to contain a ROM chip instead of actual flash memory. That would also eliminate the drive losing it's contents over time the way true USB flash drives do. Many people have tried to crack the write protection on a Microsoft Windows 10 USB flash drive and I have not heard of anyone successful yet. I'll bet if you cracked it open, you would find a ROM chip in there.
    Perhaps because anyone successful in doing that may not want to publicize his success...but still, the write protection is achieved using just code rite? You may not have heard of anyone successful yet doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, now or possibly in the future...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    4 Days Ago #12

    Shiiren said: View Post
    Perhaps because anyone successful in doing that may not want to publicize his success...but still, the write protection is achieved using just code rite? You may not have heard of anyone successful yet doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, now or possibly in the future...
    It could be unalterable ROM as NavyLCDR says. The code is burned into the chip and can't be rewritten. Like the instruction set is burned into your CPU. Its permanent. The advantage to that is the user can't accidentally erase it or corrupt it. It also can't get infected by a virus as it can't be written too. Disadvantage is you can't update it with a newer build of Windows 10. I see why Microsoft did that way, it does make a lot of sense. They just switched from DVD to thumb drive and locked it down to make it safe.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    4 Days Ago #13

    I would really like to get my hands on one and crack it open to see what's inside. Not going to go out and Buy Windows 10 to get one though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    4 Days Ago #14

    Shiiren said: View Post
    Perhaps because anyone successful in doing that may not want to publicize his success...but still, the write protection is achieved using just code rite? You may not have heard of anyone successful yet doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, now or possibly in the future...
    I would say there is an equal chance of someone opening the retail box, replacing the DVD in the box with a fake, and resealing the box as there is someone opening the retail box, taking the USB drive out of it, altering the USB drive, putting back in the box and resealing it.

    So, if tampering is your concern - then download the ISO file directly from Microsoft, and hope that no one has broken into Microsoft servers and tampered with the ISO file, or intercepts the download on the way to your computer and tampers with it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    3 Days Ago #15

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    I would say there is an equal chance of someone opening the retail box, replacing the DVD in the box with a fake, and resealing the box as there is someone opening the retail box, taking the USB drive out of it, altering the USB drive, putting back in the box and resealing it.

    So, if tampering is your concern - then download the ISO file directly from Microsoft, and hope that no one has broken into Microsoft servers and tampered with the ISO file, or intercepts the download on the way to your computer and tampers with it.
    That kind of make sense to me..I agree. Ok how do I marked this thread as solved ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    3 Days Ago #16

    Shiiren said: View Post
    That kind of make sense to me..I agree. Ok how do I marked this thread as solved ?
    Nevermind. Found it at the bottom. Thanks! Thread solved by NavyLCDR & alphanumeric.

    Regards,
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
Hi, I'm new to this forum, I'm desperatly searching a way to fix a problem I have since when I installed windows 10. I have an old delphi app, that is working perfectly, the only thing is that every time it opens a window the lower part of the...
Solved Windows 10 clean install question (part 2) in Installation and Upgrade
Hi folks, A few weeks ago I asked whether now that I have upgraded to Windows 10 whether I could perform a clean install after the July 29 deadline and was answered in the affirmative. Foolishly though, I forgot to ask, how? Can I clean...
Part 2 - No Windows Updates over Mobile Broadband! in Windows Updates and Activation
Hi all. I am starting this new thread as the previous thread had become quite old and no one was replying on that post. I had started a thread here a while ago regarding usage of a mobile broadband like 3g/4g to receive windows updates in...

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:33.
Find Us