1.    05 Jul 2017 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Gurgaon, Haryana India
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit

    Creators Update version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413)


    I updated my Desktop with the latest Creators Update (1703 (OS Build 15063.413)) on 1st July. It has worked smoothly and without a hiccup for five days. Should I consider my updated Windows 10 as stable or wait for some more time? Suggestions please.
    Amarnath Wanchoo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    06 Jul 2017 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 10,932
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    If you're in that fortunate position, make sure you update your disk image, and if you haven't yet started to use disk imaging, then please seriously consider doing that.

    E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage for image sets.

    Why? Because you can recover from e.g.
    - ransomware
    - a failed disk (restore image to a new disk)
    - unbootable PC
    - uncorrectable problem

    - by restoring your PC to a previously working state.

    The disk images also act as a full backup - you can retrieve files.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    06 Jul 2017 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Gurgaon, Haryana India
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    I had made an image immediately after the update. After that I deleted tons of files that are used for reversing the update and other crap and making some minor tweaks. These changes are not only working flawlessly but have also made the system faster.
    I asked the question because I want to delete the original bloated image after imaging the current system. Are six days of flawless working enough to do that or I should wait for say about a month?
    Thank you for your response. Any further suggestions?
    Regards,
    Amarnath
    PS: I use Acronis for imaging. Doing so for about 15 years. Amarnath

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    If you're in that fortunate position, make sure you update your disk image, and if you haven't yet started to use disk imaging, then please seriously consider doing that.

    E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage for image sets.

    Why? Because you can recover from e.g.
    - ransomware
    - a failed disk (restore image to a new disk)
    - unbootable PC
    - uncorrectable problem

    - by restoring your PC to a previously working state.

    The disk images also act as a full backup - you can retrieve files.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    06 Jul 2017 #4
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 10,932
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Hi, personally I use a base image, then keep a number of differential images. That number is automatically managed by Macrium - presumably Acronis can do the same. (As you presumably know, differential images are smaller and faster to create - incrementals more so).

    It's really a personal decision as to when to create a new base image- obviously, play safe, create the new one before deleting the old one.

    Note: Windows.old would have been deleted automatically (presumably after 10 days if that's the timescale MS is still working to)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    06 Jul 2017 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Gurgaon, Haryana India
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Acronis too can create differential and incremental images including daily or weekly differential images automatically in the background. But being a small time operator I keep this facility turned off. Just create a full validated image on the first of every month and delete the two month old image. That serves my purpose. So I shall stick on to my bloated image and delete it on 1st of August after making a fresh image.

    Why I am sticking to Acronis is not only because it is good and has never given any trouble but also because the recovery CD that it creates incorporates a disk partitioning program "Disk Director" that I liked more than PM and EaseUS. Does Macrium has this facility too?

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    Hi, personally I use a base image, then keep a number of differential images. That number is automatically managed by Macrium - presumably Acronis can do the same. (As you presumably know, differential images are smaller and faster to create - incrementals more so).

    It's really a personal decision as to when to create a new base image- obviously, play safe, create the new one before deleting the old one.

    Note: Windows.old would have been deleted automatically (presumably after 10 days if that's the timescale MS is still working to)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    06 Jul 2017 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,329
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by junglee View Post
    I had made an image immediately after the update.
    Hopefully you also had an image from immediately before the update? That would be when you would really want it!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    06 Jul 2017 #7
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Gurgaon, Haryana India
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Thank you for your query. Yes that I have and have also used it once to take me out of a soup.

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Hopefully you also had an image from immediately before the update? That would be when you would really want it!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    09 Jul 2017 #8
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Gurgaon, Haryana India
    Posts : 38
    Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Thanks for your advice. I have done just that with a small twist. And the twist is that I have created a new Image but will delete the bloated Image bext month.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
disable auto arrange in Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703
I am also also using latest Classic Shell..... I have tried all reg edits etc listed on this forum and all they do is enable "auto arrange" to show so I can ck or unck it but uncked it will not allow me to even move folders or icons which are inside...
General Support
Version 1703 Build 15063 removes programs?
After updating to version 1703, I noticed that programs were missing. I had previously installed the Win7Games4Win10, which brings back the old Solitaire, Freecell, etc. After the update they were completely gone. Is this something that occurs...
Windows Updates and Activation
Creators Update build 15063 (Desktop Icon Size Change Bug)
Hi, If you set your desktop icons to medium and adjust them 1 size smaller with CTRL + Mouse Scroll. Then refresh your desktop the icons on the left hand side of the screen move down and to the right. Is there any fix for this?
General Support
No symbols available from MS for Creators Update 1703 (15063.13)?
Has anyone been able to download symbols from the MS symbol server for the public release of Creators Update 1703 (build 15063.13)? I've posted this at MSDN but so far no answers. Am I missing something? Soon after upgrading this week from...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Win10 Version 1703 Build 15063.13 explorer.exe not loading/crashing
I just rolled back to 1607Hi all, Just upgraded to Build 15063.13, explorer.exe is not loading. Screen is black. I have task manager open and tried manually starting the task, but it crashes a few seconds later.I've been able to open chrome as well,...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums