Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    18 May 2017 #1
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10 64 bit

    How to upgrade W-7 laptop to W-10 without factory recovery partition?


    Hello everyone.
    I have a fairly new Dell laptop that I installed a SSD in after cloning the original HDD.
    Somehow the factory recovery partition was not copied to the SSD.
    I have tried twice to upgrade to W-10 and each time it has failed with error message 0XC1900200.
    Research indicate the error message relates to the missing partition. So now, my question is how to upgrade without the recovery partition?

    Thank you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    18 May 2017 #2
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    UK
    Posts : 1,050
    W10 pro x64 and W8.1 x86

    Have you used the installation media to delete all partitions on your new SSD (by using the custom install option). The drive should show as all unallocated space before you begin to install.

    I had various problems with my Dell way back yonder when testing and trying W10 and found doing this resolved all issues.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    18 May 2017 #3
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter

    https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/84766-how-upgrade-w-7-l


    Quote Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
    Have you used the installation media to delete all partitions on your new SSD (by using the custom install option). The drive should show as all unallocated space before you begin to install.

    I had various problems with my Dell way back yonder when testing and trying W10 and found doing this resolved all issues.
    Thank you for the fast reply.

    This is not a clean install. it is an upgrade from Windows 7 Pro.
    I downloaded the free upgrade and ran into the problem.
    If buying a copy of 10 Pro will solve the problem, I am willing to do that.

    TLRSR.
    Last edited by tlrsr; 18 May 2017 at 07:21. Reason: spelling error
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    18 May 2017 #4
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    UK
    Posts : 1,050
    W10 pro x64 and W8.1 x86

    The media you use for upgrading should allow a clean install. I believe (from comments on here) that the W7 to W10 free offer is still working even though officially it ended months ago..

    Have you tried this:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    18 May 2017 #5
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
    The media you use for upgrading should allow a clean install. I believe (from comments on here) that the W7 to W10 free offer is still working even though officially it ended months ago..

    Have you tried this:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Thanks again Mooly!

    I do not want to do a clean install. I would lose all my data.
    All I want is to upgrade the W-7 OS to W-10 and I can't do that because of the missing recovery partition.
    Any thoughts on how to create the missing partition?

    TLRSR
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    18 May 2017 #6
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    UK
    Posts : 1,050
    W10 pro x64 and W8.1 x86

    I believe the recovery partition on a Dell requires Dells own unique Master Boot Record. Even making a disk image and restoring that image 'breaks' the recovery options.

    Is the cloned SSD with W7 on it working OK as a W7 installation ?

    I've no quick answers as to what may fix your issue but gathering as much information will help with ideas and suggestions.

    (data... as in personal files/pictures/music etc is easily copied over to a clean install if needed)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    18 May 2017 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,338
    Windows 10 Pro

    Can you post a screen shot of disk management?
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

    Your issue is likely with a System Reserved partition - not a recovery partition (or lack of).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    18 May 2017 #8
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
    I believe the recovery partition on a Dell requires Dells own unique Master Boot Record. Even making a disk image and restoring that image 'breaks' the recovery options.

    Is the cloned SSD with W7 on it working OK as a W7 installation ?

    I've no quick answers as to what may fix your issue but gathering as much information will help with ideas and suggestions.

    (data... as in personal files/pictures/music etc is easily copied over to a clean install if needed)
    yes, the W-7 OS is working fine. I want to upgrade to W-10 because all my work computers are 10.
    I can copy all my data, yes, but I have many programs that would be lost and some I could not reinstall.
    TLRSR
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    18 May 2017 #9
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10 64 bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Can you post a screen shot of disk management?
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

    Your issue is likely with a System Reserved partition - not a recovery partition (or lack of).
    I think I figured out how to attach the screen shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    18 May 2017 #10
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,863
    Windows10

    This is the complicated procedure to upgrade from 7 pro to 10 Pro

    1) download iso

    2) mount as drive

    3) run setup.exe
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved OEM Recovery Partition HP Laptop
I own an HP 14 AC 016ne. This laptop was shipped with Windows 8.1 originally. I had upgraded the Windows to Windows 10 pro with my own licence key that I had purchased separately. I had also resized my hard drive but I never changed or touched any...
Installation and Upgrade
HP laptop - Can't access to Recovery partition
Hi there. I tried to install Manjaro Linux first and than Fedora 25 on my laptop, but after that I was not able to boot Windows anymore neither to access the Recovery hitting F11 at the boot. Furthermore, I couldn't find any Windows entry hitting...
General Support
Solved Factory reset laptop that has had an upgrade to SSD by cloning old HD
Hi. I bought an SSD some time ago and with it came a cloning software which I used to clone my old HD to the SSD. That worked as it should and I could not have been happier with the performance boost. I regularly factory reset my computer and...
General Support
Laptop Recovery Partition
I recently updated my Toshiba Satellite from Win 8.1 to Win 10. And everything seems to be running smoothly. My question is, how to have the recovery partition with Win 10 and not Win 8.1? Please remember the KISS principle :chuckle:
Performance & Maintenance
Solved Is there any point keeping my laptop's recovery partition?
My toshiba laptop came preinstalled with windows 7 home premium and has, as I expect all modern laptops do, a hidden recovery partition (it's 400MB in size). Though for some reason it also has visible primary partition along side the Windows C:...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:17.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums