1.    13 May 2017 #1
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 14
    Windows 7

    UEFI installation on non-UEFI system


    Hi there,
    I wanted to boot an existing Windows 10 install taken from a UEFI notebook into an older non-UEFI notebook and I only get a flashing cursor. Booted with an installation media and the automatic startup repair did not work.
    Browsing online I tried re-creating the boot sector but in the end I understand that to do so I need to attempt the fix from a UEFI system.

    I perfectly understand that a Windows installation should not be moved to a different system but I was hoping to manage to boot it up to save some files. Alternatively, I can plug the HDD into another PC.

    Is there anybody aware of a way to make this installation work?
    Thanks
    Tony
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    13 May 2017 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,381
    Windows 10 Pro

    The main problem is that you will have to convert the drive from GPT style partitioning to MBR partitioning so that you can mark a partition as active to be able to boot from it in legacy BIOS. The easiest way to do that is to create an image of your Windows and any data partitions using a program like Macrium Reflect Free, then convert the drive to MBR, then restore the partitions back and create your boot files required to boot in legacy mode.

    Alternatively, you can copy the partitions to a second HDD/SSD partitioned as MBR, create the boot files on it, and then install that in the legacy BIOS computer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    13 May 2017 #3
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,917
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The main problem is that you will have to convert the drive from GPT style partitioning to MBR partitioning so that you can mark a partition as active to be able to boot from it in legacy BIOS. The easiest way to do that is to create an image of your Windows and any data partitions using a program like Macrium Reflect Free, then convert the drive to MBR, then restore the partitions back and create your boot files required to boot in legacy mode.

    Alternatively, you can copy the partitions to a second HDD/SSD partitioned as MBR, create the boot files on it, and then install that in the legacy BIOS computer.
    Maybe a slightly easier way to do this for a beginner (creating boot files is slightly tricky) is

    1) backup c drive partition (recommending Macrium Reflect Free of course)

    2) use MS media creation tool and install Windows 10 on PC (may need to convert drive to mbr first)

    3) Restore C drive partition image over new C drive.


    It's a pity we do not have the reverse tool of mbr2gpt i.e. gpt2mbr to make conversion dead easy.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    13 May 2017 #4
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 14
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter

    Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I'll educate myself on the difference between EUFI/non EUFI, GPT/MBR!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    13 May 2017 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,922
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    One way I've done it with older computers is to boot to a GPARTED CD, delete all partitions to give the drive an as-shipped condition then boot to the version of Windows desired and install, seems to take care of the problems encountered when trying to change an existing condition. It has worked with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    13 May 2017 #6
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,917
    Windows10

    OP is not wanting to clean install.

    No need to use gparted really.

    Just boot from usb drive installation drive, press shift+f10 to get to command prompt and run diskpart to wipe drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    13 May 2017 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,381
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    OP is not wanting to clean install.

    No need to use gparted really.

    Just boot from usb drive installation drive, press shift+f10 to get to command prompt and run diskpart to wipe drive.
    or just go to the custom install option and on the next screen delete all the existing partitions - but I don't know if that would allow Windows 10 to install in legacy BIOS (MBR) mode like diskpart would.

    diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean <-This erases the ENTIRE drive!
    exit
    exit
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    14 May 2017 #8
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,922
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    I only recommend GPARTED as there are times when Windows won't allow what is desired, one of the times is in changing from 32-bit to 64-bit or 64-bit to 32-bit and the other has been when changing a drive to fit what the BIOS allows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    14 May 2017 #9
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,917
    Windows10

    op
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    or just go to the custom install option and on the next screen delete all the existing partitions - but I don't know if that would allow Windows 10 to install in legacy BIOS (MBR) mode like diskpart would.

    diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean <-This erases the ENTIRE drive!
    exit
    exit
    You may need to add "convert mbr" after clean.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved 'Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware' yet BIOS Mode set to UEFI
Sometime in the fall I started getting Windows 10 update errors trying to install 1607 (the anniversary update I believe). After trying different fixes I just ignored it for a while hoping windows would come up with a fix. 6 months later and I'd...
Windows Updates and Activation
UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?
I want to enable UEFI with Secure Boot and I do have an option to enable Secure Boot. But how can I tell if I am running UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c ? Because to enable Secure Boot, machines must have UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c I went to...
General Support
Windows 10 Automatic Repair - switching between UEFI and non UEFI devi
Hello. So i got automatic repair after changing boot order from UEFI USB KINGSTON to P1 Samsung SSD 840 EVO. I am able to get through to Windows 10 but after restart after automatic repair. So i am needing 2 boots now. Screen: 74243 And my...
General Support
UEFI Forum announces updated UEFI v2.6 and ACPI v6.1 specifications
Source: UEFI ForumAnnounces the Availability of Updated Specifications: UEFI v2.6 and ACPI v6.1 | Business Wire
Windows 10 News
Booting USB installation media on a UEFI system.
It might be worth it to make a sticky referencing the Windows 7 tutorial for creating USB flash installation media, specifically the part 11 about moving the EFI files around. I have been bashing my head trying to figure out why my laptop refuses to...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:16.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums