A plethora of partitions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 1,384
    W10 21H2 19044.1387
    Thread Starter
       #11

    NavyLCDR said:
    Well, that is completely backwards from what I expected. From the looks of it, partition 1 is the useless partition. In order to reclaim that space, though, you would have to move the EFI System partitions and the MSR partitions to the front of the drive after you deleted partition 1. That can sometimes be very problematic. So, I would either just leave that partition or delete it and leave it unallocated space. It's only 500MB. If you get down to where you are missing that 500MB space then you should be thinking about moving some data or getting a larger drive anyway .

    The last partition, 1.99GB recovery partition appears to be the real recovery partition in use. It's a mystery how it got to be 1.99GB in size. You can use the Partition Wizard program to shrink it to 450 MB (moving the left edge or the front of the partition back, to the right). Then add the 1.5GB of extra space created to the end of C: drive. I would write it to a completely empty drive

    If you ever decide to do a clean install of Windows, just erase that whole drive, deleting all partitions on it, then select the unallocated space to install to and Windows will set it up correctly.
    Yes, Tx for that again. Since this drive is a clone of my real insider drive, I feel somewhat comfortable to mess with it a little. What if I did an image of it right now and unchecked the 1st partition so that it would not be part of the image. When restoring, do you think that Macrium would move the remainder to the front or just leave an un-partition space.?
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 1,384
    W10 21H2 19044.1387
    Thread Starter
       #12

    After "adjusting" it for more than an hour without real success, I let the magic of Macrium reflect figure it out. I made an image as I had it before, booted to the original insider disk, used the restore function to write that back to the clone version and it is back to normal. The 1.99Gb partition is gone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A plethora of partitions-mp.jpg  
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 17,371
    Windows 11 Pro
       #13

    meebers said:
    After "adjusting" it for more than an hour without real success, I let the magic of Macrium reflect figure it out. I made an image as I had it before, booted to the original insider disk, used the restore function to write that back to the clone version and it is back to normal. The 1.99Gb partition is gone.
    K. Now for one last test. In a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) run:

    reagectc /info

    and see if it says if Windows Recovery Environment is enabled or disabled
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,384
    W10 21H2 19044.1387
    Thread Starter
       #14

    NavyLCDR said:
    K. Now for one last test. In a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) run:

    reagectc /info

    and see if it says if Windows Recovery Environment is enabled or disabled
    Windows would not recognize that command:) Mr. Google pointed me to reagentc/info. RE is disabled. Tx again for your help on this Navy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A plethora of partitions-reag.jpg  
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 17,371
    Windows 11 Pro
       #15

    meebers said:
    Windows would not recognize that command:) Mr. Google pointed me to reagentc/info. RE is disabled. Tx again for your help on this Navy!
    Ooops, I mistyped it. So, Windows RE disabled means that your recovery partition at partition #1 is not doing anything at all.

    You can try to enable it by running in a Command Prompt (Admin):
    reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition1\Recovery\WindowsRE
    reagentc /enable

    If you have the proper files in the recovery partition, that will enable it. If you don't, the recovery environment will remain disabled which means your recovery partition is serving no purpose at all.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 19,241
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #16

    Speaking of Reagentc, wouldn't "Reagentc /disable" get rid of recovery partition ?
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 13,701
    Windows10
       #17

    NavyLCDR said:
    Well, that is completely backwards from what I expected. From the looks of it, partition 1 is the useless partition. In order to reclaim that space, though, you would have to move the EFI System partitions and the MSR partitions to the front of the drive after you deleted partition 1. That can sometimes be very problematic. So, I would either just leave that partition or delete it and leave it unallocated space. It's only 500MB. If you get down to where you are missing that 500MB space then you should be thinking about moving some data or getting a larger drive anyway .

    The last partition, 1.99GB recovery partition appears to be the real recovery partition in use. It's a mystery how it got to be 1.99GB in size. You can use the Partition Wizard program to shrink it to 450 MB (moving the left edge or the front of the partition back, to the right). Then add the 1.5GB of extra space created to the end of C: drive.

    If you ever decide to do a clean install of Windows, just erase that whole drive, deleting all partitions on it, then select the unallocated space to install to and Windows will set it up correctly.
    It is virtually impossible to move the MSR partitition - you can delete it though - it is not essential.

    Assuming you do not wish to delete the MSR partition, then a good use of that 500 MB space is to delete existing partition, create new fat32 partition and copy all the files from a Macrium Rescue ISO to it, and create a boot entry for Macrium using Kyhi's great tool (need to unzip it):

    https://www.tenforums.com/attachment...menu_option.7z
    http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 17,371
    Windows 11 Pro
       #18

    CountMike said:
    Speaking of Reagentc, wouldn't "Reagentc /disable" get rid of recovery partition ?
    It does not delete the partition. It only keeps recovery from using it. You can just delete the recovery partition and reagentc will show the recovery environment as disabled without doing anything else.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 19,241
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #19

    NavyLCDR said:
    It does not delete the partition. It only keeps recovery from using it. You can just delete the recovery partition and reagentc will show the recovery environment as disabled without doing anything else.
    Aha, OK I get it. Once system stops using it, should be able to remove partition manually.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 1,384
    W10 21H2 19044.1387
    Thread Starter
       #20

    UPDATE: So after I updated to 16184.1001, I did a reagentc/info and looks like the install took care of the recovery partition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A plethora of partitions-part.jpg   A plethora of partitions-reagentc.jpg  
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums