Repair Corrupt Install From Boot Install DVD?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

  1. Posts : 436
    win10
    Thread Starter
       #41

    Thanks for the tip about the key. I'll get onto it.

    Things change fast sometimes and my win10 install has changed a bit in the last couple of days. Can I somehow update the clone to reflect today's reality or must I reclone on top of it?

    It is getting dire I suspect. Every time I switch on I get that 'checking disk C:' thing... fortunately so far it has come out the end of it and we box on happily... but I fear imminent disaster. I was hoping the chkdsk I've done twice had maybe found and fixed all bad sectors but I guess it is maybe just a poor disk and it's going to keep getting them...
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 3,446
       #42

    abrogard said:
    Thanks for the tip about the key. I'll get onto it.

    Things change fast sometimes and my win10 install has changed a bit in the last couple of days. Can I somehow update the clone to reflect today's reality or must I reclone on top of it?

    It is getting dire I suspect. Every time I switch on I get that 'checking disk C:' thing... fortunately so far it has come out the end of it and we box on happily... but I fear imminent disaster. I was hoping the chkdsk I've done twice had maybe found and fixed all bad sectors but I guess it is maybe just a poor disk and it's going to keep getting them...
    Chkksk is great for 'fixing' by moving data to readable sectors - nothing can fix a hardware fault, so yes backup and replace the drive, would be best. Don't write new data to a bad disk.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 436
    win10
    Thread Starter
       #43

    Ah... thread still being watched? Because I finally got around to testing the clone drive. I just disconnected the existing system drive.

    It didn't work. Gave an error Oxc0000225 : missing or corrupt winload.efi if I remember right.

    I guess I should try again.

    Okay to just tell it to write over existing or would it be better to reformat the drive first - erase all partitions and reformat?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 11
    Win10Pro
       #44

    "Over the Top"


    abrogard said:
    Ah... thread still being watched? Because I finally got around to testing the clone drive. I just disconnected the existing system drive.

    It didn't work. Gave an error Oxc0000225 : missing or corrupt winload.efi if I remember right.

    I guess I should try again.

    Okay to just tell it to write over existing or would it be better to reformat the drive first - erase all partitions and reformat?
    I don't know what ever happened to "over the top" installs ??
    Something gets flakey and I stick the media disk in the drive, open it to view files, and run setup to install everything ver the top" of the flakey system. It doesn't touch your personal files and in my case has fixed the flakey install many times.
    You can accomplish the same thing by mounting the iso file if you have a copy on HDD. Rt.clk on th iso and click on Mount........... run the setup file....... simple......
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 17,246
    Windows 11 Pro
       #45

    Cuffy said:
    I don't know what ever happened to "over the top" installs ??
    Something gets flakey and I stick the media disk in the drive, open it to view files, and run setup to install everything ver the top" of the flakey system. It doesn't touch your personal files and in my case has fixed the flakey install many times.
    You can accomplish the same thing by mounting the iso file if you have a copy on HDD. Rt.clk on th iso and click on Mount........... run the setup file....... simple......
    You mean like this?
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 436
    win10
    Thread Starter
       #46

    well i wouldn't be needing the 'over the top' now my original drive is apparently working okay, would I?

    question is what to do about the clone?

    Do a Macrium reclone over the top of it?

    Don't I remember reinstalls of windows losing all the 'my documents', etc.. folders? Or did that never happen? Or its happened but doesn't happen now?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 11
    Win10Pro
       #47

    Over the Top, clones, reinstalls


    abrogard said:
    well i wouldn't be needing the 'over the top' now my original drive is apparently working okay, would I?

    question is what to do about the clone?

    Do a Macrium reclone over the top of it?

    Don't I remember reinstalls of windows losing all the 'my documents', etc.. folders? Or did that never happen? Or its happened but doesn't happen now?
    You could easily run the media that's on your original drive to refresh your system if the drive acts up again. If you have bad sectors on that drive you'll have more bad sectors tomorrow. Bad sectors can't be repaired as someone has already stated.
    If the drive gives you a hard time again and you re-run the original media it will install new files on good sectors, possibly giving you a little more time.
    I think the clone you are refering to is an image and I don't think it can be modified.
    Losing files or folders when reinstalling "Over the Top" has never happened to me but I've only been using it for 20 or 25 years so YMMV.

    NAVYLCDR...............
    My method seems simpler somehow ??
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 436
    win10
    Thread Starter
       #48

    Well I think I've lost files, as I said, from 'My Documents' but I'm damned if I can recall all the details now.

    No matter. Question is what to do now.

    I will run Macrium and ask it to clone this drive again to the same target disk.

    If that works well I'll get my original win10 install media, if I can find it, or something similar, and try to find this setup option you're referring to and I'll see what it does....

    :)

    p.s. disk image? clone? what difference? I think a disk image is a, for instance, ISO image made for copying to a DVD. A clone I expect to be like that old Norton thing we had years ago where it makes an absolute copy of the original so's it is in all respects another of the original.

    Hence a system drive clone put in the boot 'line' (i.e. sata port) should boot just like the original.

    and the files on it should be accessible just like the original.

    So 'updating it' by adding files that are newly created on the original and deleting files it no longer has should be a very ordinary/doable task, I'm thinking.

    No matter though. If it takes a new total clone then okay, I'll do that.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 11
    Win10Pro
       #49

    clone vs image


    abrogard said:
    Well I think I've lost files, as I said, from 'My Documents' but I'm damned if I can recall all the details now.

    No matter. Question is what to do now.

    I will run Macrium and ask it to clone this drive again to the same target disk.

    If that works well I'll get my original win10 install media, if I can find it, or something similar, and try to find this setup option you're referring to and I'll see what it does....

    :)

    p.s. disk image? clone? what difference? I think a disk image is a, for instance, ISO image made for copying to a DVD. A clone I expect to be like that old Norton thing we had years ago where it makes an absolute copy of the original so's it is in all respects another of the original.

    Hence a system drive clone put in the boot 'line' (i.e. sata port) should boot just like the original.

    and the files on it should be accessible just like the original.

    So 'updating it' by adding files that are newly created on the original and deleting files it no longer has should be a very ordinary/doable task, I'm thinking.

    No matter though. If it takes a new total clone then okay, I'll do that.
    I dropped clone vs image into Google and got 3,740,000 hits. It's worth a look!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 17,246
    Windows 11 Pro
       #50

    A clone is a copy of a drive to another drive. An image is a copy of a drive to a file. You can make an image of a clone, and you can make a clone from an image. You can even clone a clone. What you can't do is make an image of an image because that would really be just copying a file ;-).
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums