Windows 10: Repair Corrupt Install From Boot Install DVD?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1.    19 Apr 2017 #31

    ah, okay. I just plugged the bad drive into this machine alongside the good drive. finally woke up I should have done that all along. just need to go into BIOS on every boot that i want to boot to a different drive.

    and i swapped the regback files on the bad drive. i'll give it a go in a minute.

    got any experience with an asus h170 bios? it seems really clumsy. doesn't have a 'shutdown' option and the only way out of it after swapping boot order is save and quit - upon which it tells you that you haven't changed anything......



    I'll run a couple of keys through showkeyplus. i've also got that on his hard drive now instead of only on that repair tools disk.

    well it says that my old key is win10 professional rtm retail. doesn't say anything about versions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    19 Apr 2017 #32

    I think you can d/l the manual here
    Support For H170 GAMING M3 | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global

    Seems to me you should be able to press a function key (usually F12) upon boot, to get the menu for a single time boot choice, instead of having to go into the BIOS and change it every time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    19 Apr 2017 #33

    Of course, with UEFI, you choose Windows Boot Manager......
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    19 Apr 2017 #34

    abrogard said: View Post
    well it says that my old key is win10 professional rtm retail. doesn't say anything about versions.
    Okay then, you need to make sure that you've installed that, and not Single Language, or N version.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    19 Apr 2017 #35

    Thanks for the manual download link, excellent.

    And the tips on the hotkey for straight to boot order. I think you're right though I haven't tried it yet, it might be F8.

    But big news: I've got the old drive working!

    I did the copy over of the RegBack files and that did it.

    Wonderful.

    Totally great. Now I'll rush to image it or something, copy it over to that new disk.

    And then set up a regimen for periodic save points or whatever you call them. I thought it was automatic but

    apparently not. My machine was unable to go back to somewhere good

    Here's a pic of the 'basic info'. You'll see it says windows is activated.


    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H170BasicInfo.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	130960

    This is a big relief. All my inetpub files, the whole IIS thing.... don't never want to have to rebuild all that. Got to get into this constant imaging, backing up, whatever...

    I have to thankyou for all the help. It has been great.

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    19 Apr 2017 #36

    abrogard said: View Post
    Thanks for the manual download link, excellent.

    And the tips on the hotkey for straight to boot order. I think you're right though I haven't tried it yet, it might be F8.

    But big news: I've got the old drive working!

    I did the copy over of the RegBack files and that did it.

    Wonderful.
    Great news! Happy dance!

    abrogard said: View Post
    Totally great. Now I'll rush to image it or something, copy it over to that new disk.

    And then set up a regimen for periodic save points or whatever you call them. I thought it was automatic but

    apparently not. My machine was unable to go back to somewhere good

    Here's a pic of the 'basic info'. You'll see it says windows is activated.


    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H170BasicInfo.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	130960
    Okay, I'm going to recommend Macrium Reflect Free, and suggest imaging the entire drive, and making weekly automated backups.
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect - Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials
    Setup your weekly instruction set, and make sure you check the box to "verify". Retain several sets, in case one goes bad.

    abrogard said: View Post
    This is a big relief. All my inetpub files, the whole IIS thing.... don't never want to have to rebuild all that. Got to get into this constant imaging, backing up, whatever...

    I have to thankyou for all the help. It has been great.

    I'm so glad for you! If you have any questions on the Macrium "images", please ask.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    24 May 2017 #37

    Hi...

    me back again using the same thread....

    I've cloned my C: drive with Macrium. It had a second drive on it: D: and the clone found that too corrupt to copy so it wouldn't complete until I ran chkdsk and after that the clone process completed minus the D: drive and I find now that my D: drive shows on Explorer but I get a 'not available' message when I try to access it.

    I'm having problems with this drive still so I'd like to swap over to this cloned one.

    What do I do? Just swap the SATA cables so's the new cloned drive is using the old SATA port the old drive used? Will that work? Is that how it's done?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,387
    Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
       24 May 2017 #38

    Yes, just put the drive you want to boot from on Sata port 1

    But I would just unplug the D drive to see if Windows boots on the clone first.
    Last edited by AddRAM; 24 May 2017 at 20:28.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    24 May 2017 #39

    AddRAM said: View Post
    Yes, just put the drive you want to boot from on Sata port 1

    But I would just unplug the D drive to see if Windows boots on the clone first.
    Or change the boot order in UEFI settings. But I have a touch of OCD, it would bug the heck out of me to have the computer boot from an "out of order" SATA port!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    25 May 2017 #40

    abrogard said: View Post
    Thanks for the manual download link, excellent.

    And the tips on the hotkey for straight to boot order. I think you're right though I haven't tried it yet, it might be F8.

    But big news: I've got the old drive working!

    I did the copy over of the RegBack files and that did it.

    Wonderful.

    Totally great. Now I'll rush to image it or something, copy it over to that new disk.

    And then set up a regimen for periodic save points or whatever you call them. I thought it was automatic but

    apparently not. My machine was unable to go back to somewhere good

    Here's a pic of the 'basic info'. You'll see it says windows is activated.


    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H170BasicInfo.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	130960

    This is a big relief. All my inetpub files, the whole IIS thing.... don't never want to have to rebuild all that. Got to get into this constant imaging, backing up, whatever...

    I have to thankyou for all the help. It has been great.

    Looks like you have your own Win 10 retail key - that PID does not indicate a digital licence.

    Run ShowKey again and save that key - that's what you will need when reinstalling without a digital licence.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Related Threads
My PC won't boot because it says it can't find the hard drive. I booted from a flash drive, but it wants to do an install. Is it going to wipe everything or just do an "upgrade"?
I have Windows 10 installed on top of Windows 7. When I ran sfc /scannow, I expected to be able to replace the corrupt files with good ones. However, I just did a Repair Install and I still get a message that I have corrupt files and Windows can't...
Can't boot or install nor repair in Performance & Maintenance
I tried to dual boot windows 10 pro 64 bit with windows 7 but I put the wrong disk in and ended up installing win 7 32 bit. :'( Now windows 10 won't boot Iv tried running repair but still same error. Bad_info or something with blue screen, but it...
I have two Windows 10 installations on my PC. Primary and temp. The primary installation cannot boot with error "The boot configuration data file is missing some required information ". This happened aftter I wiped out another third disk...
Upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 a week ago. 120G SSD, Windows image sits on 111 gig partition with a 450mb "recovery" partition showing up (??) in disk management and diskpart. Installed Intel RST drivers today and it has been downhill ever since. ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:51.
Find Us