Partition Wizard MBR to GPT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 62
    Win10
       #1

    Partition Wizard MBR to GPT


    Hi,

    Attempting to convert a Win 10 64bit installation from MBR to GPT on a Dell E6410 using PartitionWizardPro v10 on a bootable USB. I have ended up with a system which will not boot. I have not used this software before and feel a bit out of my depth here.

    Before starting, I made a system image using Macrium, so I should be able to get back where I started

    However, the conversion seemed to run ok, and yes,I then set the BIOS to UEFI. What I do notice is that the setup I have ended up with puts C: to the System Reserved partition which looks wrong to me!

    What I have is:

    C: System Reserved 100MB GPT Data Partition
    D: (NTFS) 232 GB GPT Data Partition
    *: (FAT32) 200MB GPT EFI System
    F: (NTFS) 450MB GPT Recovery Partition

    Any pointers gratefully received (in basic language please)
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 13,667
    Windows10
       #2

    If you have a backup of drive, restore it and use this guide

    You would.probably have to boot from a 10563 installation usb (option 2)

    Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 17,344
    Windows 11 Pro
       #3

    keithjr said:
    Before starting, I made a system image using Macrium, so I should be able to get back where I started

    Any pointers gratefully received (in basic language please)
    Boot the computer from your Macrium Reflect rescue drive. Under the restore menu is a utility to Fix Windows boot problems. Run that utility and see if that fixes your no-boot problem.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 62
    Win10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    cereberus said:
    If you have a backup of drive, restore it and use this guide

    You would.probably have to boot from a 10563 installation usb (option 2)

    Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Not sure what 10563 installation usb is, but I used my bootable usb macrium drive, as I guessed thats what you meant.

    I first used Partition wizard to remove the GPT partitions, then create MBR, as macrium couldnt see a disk to restore to.
    Managed then to restore my image, though it initially would not boot
    Using Macrium, I then fixed the boot problem (accepting all the options given) and am heaving a sigh of relief to see my desktop back!

    Not having restored an image before, I would like to know why it initially failed. Did I miss something?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 62
    Win10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Going back to my initial problem of why Partition Wizard conversion didnt work.......

    I have just stumbled upon a link here "boot from UEFI firmware settings" which I was not aware of previously. Having done the conversion, I simply rebooted the laptop, entered BIOS and changed legacy to UEFI. Thats all I did. So I am wondering if I did what this link describes, would it have worked?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 62
    Win10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Another question I have regarding the suggested use of mbr2gpt is that option1, step3 uses "boot to UEFI firmware settings" link which states:

    This only applies if Windows 10 was installed using UEFI, and not legacy BIOS (CSM).

    My windows was installed as legacy (hence reason for doing this in the first place)!

    Sorry for such questions, but I am a bit nervous due to past difficulties
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 7,483
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #7

    Last week I converted MBR to GPT via Gdisk without data loss on drive D and then clean installed Windows 10 on drive C in UEFI mode.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 62
    Win10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Matthew Wai said:
    Last week I converted MBR to GPT via Gdisk without data loss on drive D and then clean installed Windows 10 on drive C in UEFI mode.
    My aim is to avoid a clean install of Win 10 plus re-install of user programs, so am hoping to do that with mbr2gpt when I can muster the confidence to try!
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       #9

    keithjr said:
    My aim is to avoid a clean install of Win 10 plus re-install of user programs, so am hoping to do that with mbr2gpt when I can muster the confidence to try!
    It seems that the Partition Wizard procedure is incomplete, it doesn´t create the boot information in the EFI partition.

    You can try to solve the boot problem with Macrium. From the bootable USB, go to Restore > Fix Boot Problems. You may need to run it twice.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 62
    Win10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Anibor said:
    It seems that the Partition Wizard procedure is incomplete, it doesn´t create the boot information in the EFI partition.

    You can try to solve the boot problem with Macrium. From the bootable USB, go to Restore > Fix Boot Problems. You may need to run it twice.
    At the moment, I have restored the original MBR setup, so I am back where I started. So I have to decide on best way to try again. Either Partition Wizard Pro, or the mbr2gpt routine described earlier. Still have some unanswered questions on that one. See posts 5 & 6.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:56.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums