1.    10 Jul 2015 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 7 64bit

    Clean install now?


    My system (W7 64) is badly in need of a clean install but I was waiting until next month to do it with W10. However, it is quickly becoming unusable so I am wondering about doing it immediately - with the preview (I already use preview W10 on my laptop). However, the FAQ seems to imply that I would have a problem when production W10 comes, as W7 would no longer be installed (tho I have the disk and key).
    Also, even if I wait till next month, do I have to do an upgrade first, then follow it with a clean install?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    10 Jul 2015 #2
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 282
    Windows 10!

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyCraig View Post
    My system (W7 64) is badly in need of a clean install but I was waiting until next month to do it with W10. However, it is quickly becoming unusable so I am wondering about doing it immediately - with the preview (I already use preview W10 on my laptop). However, the FAQ seems to imply that I would have a problem when production W10 comes, as W7 would no longer be installed (tho I have the disk and key).
    Also, even if I wait till next month, do I have to do an upgrade first, then follow it with a clean install?
    Sticky has all the answers: tenforums.com/general-discussion/7340-frequently-asked-questions-about-windows-10-free-upgrade.html

    However I'll give you the abridged version:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22327d1435159272-frequently-asked-questions-about-windows-10-free-upgrade-1310286747621430855.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	287.6 KB 
ID:	23874

    So 99% certainty that if you do the in-place upgrade from your 7>TP, then you will have the option to convert to Final on 29th.

    However, MS haven't revealed any activation procedures regarding Windows 10 yet, so they can easily change their mind on 11:59PM on the 28th and say "lol format".
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    10 Jul 2015 #3
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    If it were me I would re-install Win7 and get the upgrade on the 29th. You/we need to have completed the upgrade before we can do a clean install of WIn10.

    Hth..
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    10 Jul 2015 #4
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 282
    Windows 10!

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    If it were me I would re-install Win7 and get the upgrade on the 29th. You/we need to have completed the upgrade before we can do a clean install of WIn10.

    Hth..
    Omg a wild bunny appears!

    I disagree, he should do the upgrade to the TP, see how it goes, and if everything explodes, he can reinstall 7 then-and-there, but if it works fine, then he can wait until the 29th and see if the TP>Final is okayed by MS.

    Either way, you gotta upgrade first before you can clean install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    10 Jul 2015 #5
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 824
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bromanbro View Post
    Omg a wild bunny appears!

    I disagree, he should do the upgrade to the TP, see how it goes, and if everything explodes, he can reinstall 7 then-and-there, but if it works fine, then he can wait until the 29th and see if the TP>Final is okayed by MS.

    Either way, you gotta upgrade first before you can clean install.
    yes but if he upgrades windows 10 from windows 7 he be in fIrst wave of getting GA on 29th as insiders get it first
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    10 Jul 2015 #6
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 824
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    If it were me I would re-install Win7 and get the upgrade on the 29th. You/we need to have completed the upgrade before we can do a clean install of WIn10.

    Hth..
    if he uses windows 7 he not certain to get it on 29th if he installs windows 10 IP he will as they get first wave
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    10 Jul 2015 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 282
    Windows 10!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave44 View Post
    if he uses windows 7 he not certain to get it on 29th if he installs windows 10 IP he will as they get first wave
    Truedat, I forgot.

    But the point I was making is that MS mite say "lol you want final? upgrade via GWX App"...so he'd have to format again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    10 Jul 2015 #8
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 824
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bromanbro View Post
    Truedat, I forgot.

    But the point I was making is that MS mite say "lol you want final? upgrade via GWX App"...so he'd have to format again.
    but it will be final version as it have his windows 7 licence still in bios
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    10 Jul 2015 #9
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Either way.. he can do a fast test with Win10 over the weekend and still have lots of time to go back to Win7 and he should get the upgrade on or about the 29th.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    12 Jul 2015 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 7 64bit
    Thread Starter

    Thanks guys. Lots to think about tho I wont be getting W10 on 29th as I'm on holiday!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Clean install question.
It's been stated that after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7 or 8 you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10. Does anyone know yet how this will happen? Will Microsoft provide a link to download the .iso or will it be a case of converting...
Installation and Upgrade
How to clean install
Hello Ladies and Gents, I just had a question. As a Windows 10 Insider, when we receive the free upgrade to the RTM, how then do I do a clean install? I thought we'd need to burn the iso to a DVD to do that. Thank you.
Installation and Upgrade
Clean install
Hi All the info I have found on a clean install has been about the Insider Preview, when the official upgrade is available at the end of July, will I be able to do a clean install? Thanks Daniel
Installation and Upgrade
Clean install of win 10 ?
Hi guys;i could never do a Clean a install of win10 preview on my PC's from a DVD ISO, i get stuck here, see pic; although i can upgrade from win 7 to win 10. the DVD ISO i made was from MS. Image codes: DSC02178
Installation and Upgrade
What is a clean install
I plan to buy W 10 when it comes out if it is not outrageously expensive. I will put it on my laptop which was originally W 8, then updated to W 8.1. I need to know how to prep the laptop. I keep seeing a "clean install" and do not know what...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums